Anyone Use/Used Curling Wax???

misspriss

I've been hearing it pop up in other threads. How do you use it? What brand do you use? If you're using it with heat, do you apply it before or after the heat? Does it keep your hair from reverting? How sticky is it really?

I'm thinking about getting some to press/flat iron my hair, and I wanted to know the real deal.

Lots of questions, I know but THANKS in advance!

My sister and I used to use curling wax years ago. She has a short cut and I've always had APL/BSL length hair. I'd say it worked better for her hair style because it provided more of a firm hold to the curls without using tons of sprays or finishing products. It didnt really do much for me but made my hair a little shinier.

You apply it before curling just to the ends of the hair, I wonder if it also doubles as a heat protectant due to its waxy substance, does anyone know?

Last edited:
I use QP curl wax on occasion. It keeps my edges straight longer when I'm stretching instead of using gel or something else that will make it revert. I apply it before the heat. The QP wax isn't as greasy as some of the other ones I remember using before. It also smells great. It does get sticky and heavy if you use too much on the length of your hair though. I just use it on the front.

misspriss said:
I've been hearing it pop up in other threads. How do you use it? What brand do you use? If you're using it with heat, do you apply it before or after the heat? Does it keep your hair from reverting? How sticky is it really?

I'm thinking about getting some to press/flat iron my hair, and I wanted to know the real deal.

Lots of questions, I know but THANKS in advance!

Curl wax is great but has its downfalls. I used it to stretch my relaxer from Sept-July. I would apply it to my roots and flat iron them. My roots would not revert, even in 100% humidity. The downside is that your hair is incredibly greasy. I wouldn't dare use this on my whole head. I think it is a great product to use when stretching but it is all petroleum. If you aren't careful your hair will look like you fell in a bucket of grease.

seeminglysweet said:
My sister and I used to use curling wax years ago. She has a short cut and I've always had APL/BSL length hair. I'd say it worked better for her hair style because it provided more of a firm hold to the curls without using tons of sprays or finishing products. It didnt really do much for me but made my hair a little shinier.

You apply it before curling just to the ends of the hair, I wonder if it also doubles as a heat protectant due to its waxy substance, does anyone know?

I use to use this when I was relaxed and had a short cut. It does provide excellent hold. Use very little of this.

Thanks ladies for your responses so far! So it seems like curling wax is actually more greasy than waxy? If that's the case, I'm not sure I want it. The non-reversion in humidity is a definite plus though! Can anyone suggest alternatives or maybe a brand that has less petroleum?

Last edited:
I use Vontes or Dudleys. It really does wonders to keep my edges straight. What I use doesn't make my thristy hair greasy. I use it mid week to hit the edges up if I forget to tie my hair down. My dumb behind didn't use it last week when I pressed so now my edges are nappy:lachen. Look at the nappy edges in my avatar pic. LOL

Last edited:
I don't like it because it has beeswax in it and makes my hair feel sticky :( Dudley's creme press on the other hand I will use.

Hey ladies! :wave: Since I'm practically natural now I use curl wax as a blend with other products when maxigliding/blowdrying my hair.

We use to use Marcel Curl wax back in the day when we did Freeze curls. Now I just use a dab. At first I was using a lot and it was weighty and greasy. Now just a dab along with some coconut oil and my Marc Anthony Simply Straight does the trick. It holds a press beautifully.

Its a great heat protectant....and as we say in haircare...less is more...

onepraying said:
Hey ladies! :wave: Since I'm practically natural now I use curl wax as a blend with other products when maxigliding/blowdrying my hair.

We use to use Marcel Curl wax back in the day when we did Freeze curls. Now I just use a dab. At first I was using a lot and it was weighty and greasy. Now just a dab along with some coconut oil and my Marc Anthony Simply Straight does the trick. It holds a press beautifully.

Its a great heat protectant....and as we say in haircare...less is more...

Oooo, I think I'm gonna try this, thanks!

I used this when I had a short cut. I agree it is incredibly greasy, but it is a great heat protectant. It keeps out the humidity and it can really make a style last. I still have some I might try it out when it starts raining again.

Back