Anyone know where to buy Glover's Mane?

AceH

I've been using the search function quite a bit, and I came across this old Glovers Mane thread. I remember as a kid, I got great results with it. Anyone know where to buy it?

PEACHEY

I SEE THEM AT ALL THE LOCAL BSS. THEY HAVE THE SHAMPOO (MEDICATED AND ORIGINAL), GREASE AND THE LIQUID (YOU CAN USE BEFORE SHAMPOOING). YOU MAY BE ABLE TO FIND IT AT THE LOCAL DRUG STORE AS WELL.

RavenMaven

There are so many kinds that can be purchased, does anyone have a picture or link to the one that is most widely used?

sepiaamor

Glover's mane as it is called can be bought online or at your local bbs or maybe sally's (idk). In fact I saw it today at my local bbs, [my toy store:rolleyes:].

Funny thing about the stuff, it was originally marketed as a dog mange curative back in the 1890's. The original inventor was H. Clay Glover, a veterinarian, and it had different name; Sarcoptic Mange Medicine for Hair and Scalp and Medicated Ointment. He was a dog malady cure expert at the time and apparently quite successful, selling many different formulas over the years.

Then sometime in the 1950's the company was sold, after branching into the human hair care industry. And guess what company came to own it sometime after that? J.K. Pharmaceuticals, which is a subsidiary of J. Strickland & Co., makers of old time fav's like: Blue magic, Royal crown, Sulfur 8, African gold, to name a few. It's name today? Glover's Dandruff Control Medicine.

So its basically the same formula only this time with apparent FDA approval for human use, given its NDC # 10471-0114-3:scratchch
I'd check the ingredients list to be sure of all that is in there. Review the original patent to see the list of ingredients the company applied to use, HERE.

Caveat emptor - let the buyer beware

DarkVictory

My mother really believed in this stuff. Once a week she'd give us a vigorous scalp massage with it. Pine tar and sulpher - talk about a distinctive aroma! Also good for removing ticks. Wonder if it really cures mange.

jamaraa

It's not unusual that many more traditional products such as this were used for both animals and humans. After all, both have hair attached to skin. Animals are even more sensitive than humans wrt topical preparations (ie they eat/lick it), so these "dual purpose" products have a tendency of low negative risks for humans.

If people will use MTG, Main and Tail, and Ovation (made originally for horses...much larger animals), why not something for dogs? LOL

Frankly, this stuff is probably a lot safer than many things indicated for human use alone.