Anyone grow BSL or longer by wearing a wig?

Have you seen results with wearing a wig?

• Yes - it worked/is working and my own hair is growing much more!

Votes: 49 35.0%
  • No - I tried using a wig as a protective and it didn't work.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Maybe - still in the process of trying.

Votes: 50 35.7%
  • I don't think it works well for growing hair.

Votes: 3 2.1%
  • N/A - I haven't tried using a wig as a protective style.

Votes: 41 29.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Kiynwah

Did anyone grow their hair long by wearing a wig? Ladies who did the wig challenge - did it help you retain growth?

I am wondering if the benefits a wig offers by being a protective style outweigh the harm of not letting your hair breathe much.

If you know anyone who grew out super long hair using a wig method, please let us know!

Jewell

I grew my hair from APL (unstretched, summer 2009) this year to a lil past BSL (current, unstretched). It has helped significantly with growth retention, because I'm not manipulating my hair, and I also don't have to trim because its mostly braided underneath wigs and LF's. The benefits outweigh the risks for me (of not letting hair breathe, as you stated).

I only wear my wig when I'm leaving the house. If I'm at home, its OFF! I have on a satin scarf instead. When I do wear my wig, I have on a mesh wig cap (not a stocking-type cap) so that my scalp and hair can further breathe. This also cuts down on scalp sweating, if its an issue on warmer days. (My scalp rarely, if ever sweats, but the mesh cap just feels more comfy than the other type). The mesh cap is a little more costly ($1.15-$1.20 vs. $.99 or less), but definitely worth it!

I am past BSL and growing, I have comparison pics of b4 I started consistently wig wearing again to a couple months later in my Fotki (dated Nov. 19). I'm transitioning, and the wig being a nice style without me having to fool with my own hair is so relaxing. I don't have to worry about looking presentable, and its a great way to change up your look!

ETA: I've been wearing a LF during the above mentioned period, but don't use adhesive, so I can remove it as soon as I get home. I secure using bobby pins at each side burn in the front. This prevents lifting...the rest of the lace/wig edge is flush with my head/edges.

Last edited:

winnettag

I wear wigs alot and they've definitely helped me retain growth. My hair breathes plenty because I take it off as soon as I get home.
Low manipulation, keeping my scalp clean and hair moisturized is what does the trick for me.
A lace wig would be a different story, but there are ways to deal with that too if you found that you really needed to.

Keen

My sister did. Now I'm doing the same thing. Still have a few inches to go which takes a long time for me. I was doing half wig but I'm about to dabble in glueless lacefront in 2010.

GodivaChocolate

My aunt grew her hair underneath a wig and still is doing so, she's past WL now. she never does anything to her hair except washes and conditions it and plops that wig back on her head until the next go round. Every now and then she will get it pressed for special occassions but she's an avid bad wig wearer..:lachen:
I've never seen her hair anything past SL until she started wearing that wig several years ago.

Rapunzel*

wearing a wig helped me go from nl september 08(did the bc in may) to cbl in January 09 i wore two wigs from october until november. then had braids in for a month and wore a wig in january. moisturizing/ letting hair breathe is the key, and of coarse detangling properly. and my wigs would come right off when i got home.

Leesh

Well I sure hope so! LOL!:grin:, I am currently in the process of wearing wigs till I complete My Mini-Challenge.

Last edited:

aa9746

I went from above shoulder in Dec. 08 to APL this summer wearing lacefronts without glue or tape. I take my wig off as soon as I get home from work. I haven't done a length check this month so I don't know how far I am from bsl.

NaturalBoss

I have been wearing a wig since October. I haven't done a length check so I don't know how much my hair has grown. What I do know is that when I wash my hair, I don't lose hardly any hair, so I know I'm retaining it. Just like others, I snatch my wig off as soon as I get home. I'm thinking about trying a lace front soon. I was leary at first because I thought it was absolutely necessary to use adhesive and I have super sensitive skin so that's a no-no for me.

shandaw

I've been wearing a wig now for about two weeks. We'll see, I've become addicted I've been buying a different wig everyweek LOL.

tri3nity

I am so glad that you asked this question! This is what I wanted to do through this winter until it starts getting warm. Houston has ridiculous heat and humidity.:blush: So, I'm thinking I'll do it from now till the end of May. Which is when my first goal is set for.

chickory_bee

I was just getting ready to say what Tri3nity just said! I have convinced my SO that a good non adhesive lace front will look just like hair!!! I am wearing a wig till the summer of 2010.

Filmatic

I did it before my BC. Last year I went from SL to BSL from Jan to Nov. I kept my hair braided or cornrowed underneath. I also cwed daily.

AnitaTheLengths

Check my siggy. I'm a little past APL now. Wearing wigs has definitely helped me retain growth. I wear mine Tues-Sat morning (tape & clip application), and then I sport my natural hair Sat eve-Monday night.

I switch up how I have my hair braided underneath every week and I always make sure my hair is moisturized and sealed.

LadyPaniolo

Yep, I did. I love wearing wigs. You can minimize the negative aspects of wig wearing by

1) removing the little combs from the wig and pinning it on instead, and
2) not putting your wig on your head until your hair is dry (to avoid mildew/funkiness).
3) not sleeping in your wig... basically take your wig off to let your scalp breathe for at least like 10 hours per day.

Wigs are a great low manipulation styling aid. You can sport the fried, dyed and laid to the side look if you want to, without doing any damage to your actual hair at all.

:yay: for wigs!

Jewell

What braid pattern are you using because my braids got bulky under the wig? Thanks!

I do four large plaits (4 sections, 2 in front, 2 in back). I cross the 2 in front atop my head and pin, the back I swirl into flat bantu knots. Sometimes I do 8 smaller braids, and do the same.

ETA: I would wear cornrows straight back or in a bee-hive style, but I can't braid it myself. I will start going to the salon to get it done soon. I cut the wig clips out of my wigs and wear a mesh cap. I pretty much only wear it when leaving the house, that bad boy is off any other time. I use bobby pins to secure, and have no prob with edges. If anything, my edges have grown more.

Last edited:

cocoagirl

Hopefully...I've been wearing a wig since October and plan on wearing it til April so I'm hoping for full APL by then. I have been losing some hair on wash days, but I think that's because I'm 6 months post and the two textures are fighting like bloods and crips

LadyPaniolo

^^^ LMAO... I know all about that line of demarcation... it's like the Gaza strip in my head :swordfigh and I have the breakage to prove it :cry3:

I usually cornrow into the beehive pattern, myself.

Tif392002

i hope so, i been wearing wigs as part of the wig challenge an plan on wearing them for the whole year.im like the other ladies as soon as i get home its coming off... i get it corn rowed weekly. i also take the clips out the wigs, and use a satin durag instead of the nylon wig cap.... i hope all thw wigging works for me, so far so good,.

fatimablush

I used a wig to grow out my hair..

It worked..I just took off my wig when i got home from work and i neve wore the wig when i was off unless i went to the store..

peachykeen

Okay ladies where can I find a good high quality wig that looks like my hair? I know about EP and Wags for weave hair. But, where are the high quality wigs?

InNeedofHairapy

I'm hoping to. I've really neglected my hair this winter....I think b/c I now have 2 heads of hair to care for (my twins--and they have gorgeous hair) I don't have time or desire to do my own..so wigs will help. I have ordered several 1/2 wigs & one lace front (from rockey trading *dance dance*) am getting a professional cut this weekend, and am going to keep it braided underneath the wigs while dc-ing on a regular basis, keeping it moisturized, sealed, etc;

I'm wearing Sensationnel HZ-7037 with my hair underneath cornrowed into a beehive.

I Am So Blessed

I'm easy going.
at the begining of my hair journey i wore a wig for about 5months. i retained mad length

i cant belive that was only 2 years ago. it fells like just yesterday i was SL. man hair grows fast when you dont watch it.