SELF-RELAX TIPS!

Barbie83

Hi girls,
I've been a self-relaxer for years. My next relax date is next Friday, April 10th. (10 weeks of stretching + mega tek = CRAZY new growth)... Normally I just go by whatever instructions are on the box, but this time I really want WOW results. Straight, moisturized, strong, and healthy.

Can anyone share their self-relax procedures, step by step? Do you add oils, conditioners, or any special steps during your application?

Please share any tip and advice you may have! Thanks lovelies!

btw I'm planning on using ORS no lye

Tyra

I use ORS and I normally pre-poo with EVOO and Coconut oil 3 days prior to texlaxing.
On the day after I pre-poo I do a co-wash.
On the day after the co-wash I let my hair rest
On the day of the relaxer/texlaxer I base my scalp with the coconut oil and apply the oil to my hair that is not to be processed.
I then relax/texlax as usual.
I know that some add oils. I normally don't need to. I attribute this to the steps I take days before the process.
I don't get any burning, no scabbies and all of the other things I used to get when relaxing or even when getting a "professional" to relax.
My hair is soft and moist afterwards.
I don't know if that was enough info but HTH.

Last edited:

sqzbly1908

This is where I went when I started self-relaxing - it is also located in the stickies

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/for...d.php?t=157899

Below is what I did with my last relaxer - which was this past Tuesday -

1) Vaseline Base (I mean a lot )

2) Saturated remaining hair with Nexxus Hydrasleek mixed with SAA

- utilized the “Arcadian Method” with the clips – had so much gunk on my hair – I was able to take out the clips before relaxing as my hair stayed “separated” sticking up everywhere (picture Edward Scissorhands with defined parts made for relaxing) LOL – I even startled my DH (but that is another story)

3) Applied MY relaxer mix (MBB + Olive Oil, a little Redken All-Soft condish, Keratin Amino Acid, Hydrolyzed Keratin, Silk Amino Acids and Global Goddess Oil) – small quantities – still a little paranoid about self-relaxing

4) Applied relaxer within 14 minutes –

5) After rinsing – followed up with Paul Mitchell Super Strong Protein Treatment – Left it in for 5 minutes

6) After rinsing – followed up with SE neutralizing shampoo – 1st application – just slicked into my hair – no manipulation left in for 10 minutes – then washed 2 more times with it and followed up with Kenra MS

7) Applied the newer version of Colorshowers – UVA/Grape – let it sit for a total of 45 minutes (25 minutes under dryer)

8) rinsed – applied Kenra MC – left on for about 15 minutes under the dryer

9) Rinsed – rollerset/wrapped my hair and took my butt to bed

Barbie83

This is where I went when I started self-relaxing - it is also located in the stickies

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/for...d.php?t=157899

Below is what I did with my last relaxer - which was this past Tuesday -

1) Vaseline Base (I mean a lot )

2) Saturated remaining hair with Nexxus Hydrasleek mixed with SAA

- utilized the “Arcadian Method” with the clips – had so much gunk on my hair – I was able to take out the clips before relaxing as my hair stayed “separated” sticking up everywhere (picture Edward Scissorhands with defined parts made for relaxing) LOL – I even startled my DH (but that is another story)

3) Applied MY relaxer mix (MBB + Olive Oil, a little Redken All-Soft condish, Keratin Amino Acid, Hydrolyzed Keratin, Silk Amino Acids and Global Goddess Oil) – small quantities – still a little paranoid about self-relaxing

4) Applied relaxer within 14 minutes –

5) After rinsing – followed up with Paul Mitchell Super Strong Protein Treatment – Left it in for 5 minutes

6) After rinsing – followed up with SE neutralizing shampoo – 1st application – just slicked into my hair – no manipulation left in for 10 minutes – then washed 2 more times with it and followed up with Kenra MS

7) Applied the newer version of Colorshowers – UVA/Grape – let it sit for a total of 45 minutes (25 minutes under dryer)

8) rinsed – applied Kenra MC – left on for about 15 minutes under the dryer

9) Rinsed – rollerset/wrapped my hair and took my butt to bed

wow! your routine is major! I bet it turned out beautiful though :)