Any Other Humectants Besides Aveda?

canadiana

Hi Ladies!
I'm very interested in purchasing a humectant to use for my hair. Aveda has the Humectant Pomade and it's kinda pricey so I was wondering if there are any members here who know of other humectants that I can put in my hair. Thanks!

Wolftrap

Are you talking about deep conditioner Humectant? I use the Keracare brand and I love it. There are several others. I know Nexxus makes one too. But I can't comment on any other than Keracare.

canadiana

Hi Wolftrap!
No, I'm not talking about a deep conditioner. The Aveda is more like a styling product and I'm interested in something similar to that...Is the Nexxus product a styling product as well or is it a deep conditioner? I'm currently transitioning and it seems that this product may be really helpful to my hair.Thanks for your reply!

Neroli

nexxus humectress (can be used as both wash out or leavein)
nexxus headdress.

You may also want to add to some of the following to whatever product you already have:

Glycerin: a humectant that attracts moisture (NOW Foods 100% pure glycerin, food grade)

Panthenol: a humectant that also adds volume (NOW Foods 100% pure d-panthenol)

Aloe Vera: also a humectant, I think; in any event will help hold moisture in the hair (I like lilly of the dessert or fruit of the earth brands)

Lindy

I'm not sure if there's anything out there similar to the Aveda Humectant Pomade. I have it, and I've grown to like it a lot.

Last weekend, I did a twist-out on dry hair (with sponge rollers on the ends) using only the Aveda, and the next day my hair came out with just a slight wave, with curls at the ends, and I got SOO many compliments on my hair that day!! It was funny because when I undid the twists I was thinking that I needed more wave definition!!

The consistency of this product is very unusual. It's like a very dense gel, kind of similar to Let's Jam Gel, but not AS dense... I'm planning on trying the Let's Jam on a dry twist-out to see if the results are the same. The Aveda is kind of pricey, so it would be nice if the Let's Jam did the job just as well!!

canadiana

Thank you Naroli and Lindy for your responses! I think I may pick up the glycerin and perhaps the Let's Jam Gel... and the Nexxus Headdress. I've had this issue on my mind for a little while now and thanks to you ladies, I know what to do. Thanks again

inthepink

Aura Humectant Pomade at Sally's is a knockoff of Aveda's Humectant Pomade.

I also think Volumax Pomade is VERY similar to both of these, too. (Also at Sally's)

canadiana

Thanks Hairlove and Cocoa!!!! There's a Sally's about an hour or so from where I live. If they have it, I'm DEFINITELY going to pick it up!

chyna

Why do you not try some foam such as fantasia or elasta on you twist outs, mixed with the pomade. The foam sets hard without becoming hard like a setting lotion. I think you will like the results!

Lindy

[ QUOTE ]
chyna said:
Why do you not try some foam such as fantasia or elasta on you twist outs, mixed with the pomade. The foam sets hard without becoming hard like a setting lotion. I think you will like the results!

[/ QUOTE ]

That's what I normally do, and it gives me more defined waves. I tried using the pomade by itself just to experiment and see how it would come out...

Avaya

Sta-Sof-Fro is the best and it's only like $3.00! I go Out side or take a quick shower after putting some in my hair and my hair feels soooooo moist! It just sucks up all the water in the air! It's grrrreat!