Any natural 4b's that press INSTEAD of relaxing?

Autumn

Any natural 4b\'s that press INSTEAD of relaxing?

Hi! I'm new here and was just wondering if any of you ladies opt to press or flat iron your natural hair. I no longer relax my hair (and believe me.....sometimes I have to be restrained from the perm box lol). I've been natural for about a year. Recently my hair grew to be too much to handle and I chickened out and cut it all off to a twa

Lemme know if any natural, KINKY textured types choose not to relax, but to press instead. I'm posting this here cuz I know that my other favorite site doesn't favor heat as an option

peace, and happy to be here!

pressncurl

Re: Any natural 4b\'s that press INSTEAD of relaxing?

I think I'm actually a 4a/b mix, but I do press. That's all I've ever done, so it's hard for me to relate to going from relaxed to pressed. I do understand the challenge of detangling our hair after washing though; it can be torturous--and of course gets worse the longer our hair gets! Slathering on the leave in conditioner while it's wet does help quite a bit though.

I used to press every 2-3 weeks, but since joining this board, I've been doing natural styles more and pressing maybe once every couple of months.

alibi

hair bored

Welcome Autumn!!!
I think you'll like this sight, there are many friendly ladies here, and we have everything from relaxed to naturals to texturized, those who press, flat iron, braid, weave, and everything in between!!! We don't frown at one hair type or another here, or prefer one styling option over another! If it encourages healthy hair, then we support it!
I flat iron my hair when I want it straight, and they're are quite a few ladies on this board that opt to press their hair, I'm gonna search for some of those threads and come back and post the links so you don't have to search for them.

calbear

I am really thinking about going this route - I realized that my new growth is actually easier to comb than my relaxed hair. I just had the thought and will need to work on it some more as I am unsure what my hair would look like but it is something I might do.

Natural_Girl

i press once every 3 months right now (when i get it trimmed).
i used to experience some straggly straight bits when i used to press more frequently - like every 2 weeks - those areas refused to revert after a wash!
i think pressing with a flat iron or curling iron works just as good as a pressing comb - will a little less damage - i get a good press wih this method

Autumn

Thanx for all of your help and welcomes! This is a great site. : )

Nay

Hi, Autumn, and welcome:

I'm a natural (4a). I've never had a relaxer, so I can't compare the two. But when I want a straight look, I do press my hair. I usually only press every 5 to 6 weeks, and I'll wear my hair straight for a week. But then I always go back to my no-heat styles.

laketta

I press also but I alternate between that and cornrows/braids to give my hair rest from heat and daily styling. I press now every other month.

mermaid

I press for straightness, do 2 strand twists and bantus otherwise.
Natural for 7 or so years.

ngaa

hie autumn, i'm a 4b/4c and used to relax my hair until i pver-processed it and had to chop it off into a twa. i've been natural for a lil over a year and yes i have to agree it is HARD!! the amount of tangles i get when i wash my hair are almost unbrearable and i have to keep convincing myself y exactly i am putting myself through the torture...mind u i'm contemplatin relaxing my hair again, now that i have useful info on how to take care of my hair properly.

Netta1

I have yet to press my natural hair and I don't think I ever will. Nappyhair is easy to take care of it if you let it do what its supposed to do naturally (nap, puff and frizz up). Pressing is too risky for me and I don't want to lose not one nap. I know AFashionslave had some pictures in her album of a roller set she did and she was able to temporary straighten her naps w/o the use of a pressing comb. Her hair turned out great and her naps returned :0). So if I want straight hair for that day I will either buy wear a wig/weave or try a roller set.

You take a chance with the pressing comb your naps might not snap back. Just so ya know :0)