Any "Milstan Feather Flat Iron" Users???

mzteaze

Pilates and Yoga Kinda Gal
I loved the results but I couldn't see doing this myself to my head.

Do you have experience with a regular hot comb?

blueberryd

nope..lol...i've never used a hot comb and my flat iron technique sux...so iwas checking this out, but it looks kinda difficult to do on one's own head...that's why ithought i would ask around...iguess i just need to practice with the flat iron...I just can't get my new growth 100% straight---ihave some stubborn waves that won't straighten not even at 450!

mzteaze

You know, I was considering getting this comb from Sally's that allows you to get the roots...like a root comb.

Do you think its your technique?

blueberryd

my technique probably is the main issue...imay try a hot comb and see how that goes...idk why but i'm scared to use a hotcomb lol..the teeth just look so small like it'll just rip thru my hair! lol..thanks for the suggestion--imay check out that 'root comb' u mentioned
xoxo

mzteaze

Hehe, no problem.

I believe, for those who regularly self hot-comb, you can purchase combs with wider or finer toothed combs. From what I have found, it depends on whether you have fine or course hair.

Please let us know, I have been interested in learning the technique where its less about hot heat but an actual art to HOW to use a hot comb.

Napp

Ms. Nobody
Hehe, no problem.

I believe, for those who regularly self hot-comb, you can purchase combs with wider or finer toothed combs. From what I have found, it depends on whether you have fine or course hair.

Please let us know, I have been interested in learning the technique where its less about hot heat but an actual art to HOW to use a hot comb.

i think with marcels its 70% technique 25% product and 5% heat to get a good result...the quality of the iron matters too

blueberryd

Napp
do u know how to use a marcel iron (on yourself)? If so, would u recommend it as a good way to self-straighten??? Is it as difficult as it looks? The results look flawless!!
xoxo

Napp

Ms. Nobody
Napp
do u know how to use a marcel iron (on yourself)? If so, would u recommend it as a good way to self-straighten??? Is it as difficult as it looks? The results look flawless!!
xoxo

no the closest i can currently get to marcels is an electric hotcomb which is currently my main straightening tool. i would like to go the marcel route but i would have to get the whole setup(the temperature controlled stove,heat tester, the hot comb sets etc) and my hot comb was less than 20 bux....so i am sticking with mr andis right now:look:

the technique is the same imo the only difference is that i do not have to test my iron to see if it is too hot.

the technique takes some getting used to. you cant pick one up and use it any ol' way and expect semi good results like a flat iron.oh and you might burn yourself a few times if you are not careful. it took me a while to figure out how to not burn myself:look:

Tiye

nope..lol...i've never used a hot comb and my flat iron technique sux...so iwas checking this out, but it looks kinda difficult to do on one's own head...that's why ithought i would ask around...iguess i just need to practice with the flat iron...I just can't get my new growth 100% straight---ihave some stubborn waves that won't straighten not even at 450!

In that case you don't need to diy with a milstan. You risk jacking up your hair and you could even experience more serious damage coz if you burn your scalp the follicles may never produce hair again. Electric flat iron = 101 level tool. Learn to use that well before you graduate to the old fashioned tools.

keelioness

I dont think u should use that iron too often. My hairdresser used it and the results were silkier thsn any relaxer I' ve ever had.. but I had a hard time gettimg my hair to revert after

DDTexlaxed

TRANSITION OVER! 11-22-14
Do you heat it on the stove like a hot comb? I'd probably be too scared to do my own hair, though.:ohwell:

empressri

I will say this...marcel irons get your hair straight like NOBODY'S business, better than an electric...well on my hair at least. I learned how to use that and the hot comb.

BUT....unless you really know what you're doing you can burn yourself, and burn the hell out of your hair where the texture won't revert back.

So I keep my marcel irons pushed to the back of my closet for someone's head I may use them on in the future cause I won't use them on my hair anymore.

blackbarbie986

I wish hair schools or somebody taught how to straighten with a hot comb. They get my hair the straightest without heat damage. Straightening is a dying art form.

Last edited:
You know, I was considering getting this comb from Sally's that allows you to get the roots...like a root comb.

Do you think its your technique?

I believe I know which comb you are referring to. I have one for home and for my clients. I love it, it allows you to keep all the hair in the straightened section pulled taut and combed free from tangles while straightening. It's basically the comb-chase method but ergonomically designed so you don't burn you fingers, don't wear out your wrist and get better results. I don't straighten without it!

When you use a Marcel, hot comb or the g
Feather flat iron have end papers on hand, before you put the hit comb or iron on your hair, test it on the end paper, if it burns it, it WILL burn your hair.