Any ladies still using hot combs?

rainbowknots

If so, what kind and where did you buy it? I just spent a total of 7 hours straightening my hair with a blow dryer and a flat iron and I will never do it again. When I use to press my hair as a teen it took no where near that amount of time so I want to go back to it. I don't plan on using it often, maybe a few times a year if that. All I know is I can never use the blow dry/flat iron method again :(

all_1_length

Me too. I got much better results when I used a hot comb as opposed to using a flat iron. The only problem is that it's much harder to find the same quality hot combs like the ones my mother used. I prefer to use the old fashioned kind that is placed on the stove. I've been searching for one but I need to find one that has both regular and fine teeth.

yynot

I have the Gold n Hot comb with fine teeth and "oven" that plugs in. I like the hot comb better than the flat iron. Or at least I like the hot comb followed by one pass with the flat iron.

Would the one that goes in the kitchen stove be a Marcel one? I also want to get a heat tester and a comb with wider teeth.

Last edited:

rainbowknots

Me too. I got much better results when I used a hot comb as opposed to using a flat iron. The only problem is that it's much harder to find the same quality hot combs like the ones my mother used. I prefer to use the old fashioned kind that is placed on the stove. I've been searching for one but I need to find one that has both regular and fine teeth.

My mom had one for years, can't remember if she still has it, but we almost burnt the handle off and she still refused to get a new one. She said they don't make them like that anymore. I know she had it for almost 2 decades, longer than that if she still has it.

brightest12day

I have the heat express ceramic stove (about $50 Sally's), the Challenger in C30 pressing comb (wider teeth and from another BSS) and a Gold 'N Hot comb with finer teeth (Sally's). I don't use them every time I flat iron, but when I do I only hit the roots if they're particularly thick, and I use the Gold 'N Hot comb on my edges. When I first started doing my hair I used the Gold 'N Hot electric comb, but I didn't feel like it heated evenly and it just wasn't reliable for me over time. Of course I always use a heat protectant, test the combs before putting them in my hair, and do no more than 1-1.5 passes with my flat iron per section of hair, using the chase method with a carbon comb.

HoneyA

Goal:Hip length stretched
Good question. I just decided this morning after spending time flat ironing my hair to try a hot comb. I am hoping that the results will be better.

brittle_hair

I have one that plugs in - I think the combination of that and a flat iron work well for straightening my hair - I haven't straightened in a while though..

Lylddlebit

Try http://kizureironworks.com/shop/. I have the heavy weight and regular coarse irons. I have been meaning to buy the medium curved but the last time I order it was out of stock and ones I have work great. The reason I have two is because while one is heating up I am pressing with the other to speed the process.

AHeadOfCoils

My mom had one for years, can't remember if she still has it, but we almost burnt the handle off and she still refused to get a new one. She said they don't make them like that anymore. I know she had it for almost 2 decades, longer than that if she still has it.

They really don't!

A few years back, my mom bought me a pressing comb and that sucker was snatching my hair and my hair was getting caught mid-press. My mom told me that I needed to break that b in. :lol: I sprayed it with hard holding hair spray and let it buuurrrrnnnn in the hair tool stove. After it burned a few hunnit times, I was finally able to get an old school press. :lol:

HanaKuroi

Kentucky maid brand. Or kizure. Do not buy an off brand. Do not buy one with a big bolt/nut at the end of the handle. Don't be cheap either, quality makes a difference.

Last edited:

tiffjust2002

I actually prefer to press my hair over a flat iron, because I can get my wavy roots more easily as well as the sides of my hair and the press (on my hair) just gets it straighter, I then will wrap my hair or I might add some loose curls to it. But I've had my pressing comb for years so I can't help on where to buy one at lol. Sorry : /

Course24

I actually prefer to press my hair over a flat iron, because I can get my wavy roots more easily as well as the sides of my hair and the press (on my hair) just gets it straighter, I then will wrap my hair or I might add some loose curls to it. But I've had my pressing comb for years so I can't help on where to buy one at lol. Sorry : /

My sentiments EXACTLY! This is the same reason I use my pressing comb. I can have the greatest flat iron & it'll never get close as I need it to straighten my roots and edges. And as you said, I'll quickly wrap it up to lock-in the straightening of those areas. But, whatever you do, make sure you got a helluva good heat protectant/serum otherwise you'll scorch your hair.

Btw, I have the Kentucky Maid brand I've had for nearly 10yrs. As another poster said earlier, you will have to oil & burn it a bit (kinda like seasoning a cast iron skillet) to get the results we all remember as lil girls.

Last edited:

yynot

Are any of you relaxed using the pressing comb? I do it every few months, but heard this was taboo to press relaxed hair. Anybody do this with no problems?

Lilmama1011

yynot said:
Are any of you relaxed using the pressing comb? I do it every few months, but heard this was taboo to press relaxed hair. Anybody do this with no problems?

Someone told me that but I thought that wasn't possible and they was crazy. They said their friend gets it hot combed when getting a relaxer because her hair doesn't take well

LaidBak

I am relaxed and use a flat iron. But I only use my hot comb when Im about 4 weeks post, and then only on my roots. It helps me stretch my relaxers. I have an electric one.

felic1

I have five gold and hots that plug in. I had a flat iron but do not know where it is. I have some stove irons that need replacing. I havent pressed my hair since 2009. I think I got the stove ones from Morrow brothers in Hamtramck. If they have a website I will post it. I will need to call tham. It is 515 am at the moment

Jewell

I use a ceramic coated hot comb that is heated on or in a stove to press my daughter's hair (it's natural), even though I have a fully ceramic electric one. The stove comb works wonderfully, and along with a good heat protectant does not burn her hair or cause heat damage.

I carefully test the temp on a paper towel before applying to her hair. There isn't any smoking or excessive burnt hair smell. Last week, her hair came out looking great-shining, soft, and swinging (not greasy or stiff) like I'd used a top of the line ionic/titanium flat iron. (That was my first time ever using a stove hot comb to straighten hair). :yep:

I only use a flat-iron or electric pressing comb sparingly on my roots when I've got a good amount of NG. It's not taboo, direct heat is direct heat, no matter what tool is used, and I know quite a few women who are relaxed and use a pressing comb to stretch relaxers.:drunk:

Last edited:

Amcd

Jewell
What is the brand of the comb you use on your daughters hair? I want to try using a pressing comb on my daughter instead of a flatiron.

Course24

yynot
I'm relaxed and have used a hot comb on the stove (usually edges & roots only on super clean hair) for years. Averaging maybe 1x every 4-6 weeks. The idea of not pressing relaxed hair has never seemed quite right to me considering how we all use curling irons, flat irons, and the like that straightens the hair at high temps as well. Only valid argument to me would be that unless you have a way to monitor the temperature of your pressing comb it could to be too hot to be used on relaxed hair since it's strength and density is usually compromised by having a relaxer leaving it more susceptible to breakage opposed chemically unaltered hair. However, I hate electric Hot combs, wavers, and stuff (flat iron exception here). I'd rather use Marcel-type tools (w/iron stove like the stylists use). Hair thickness/texture/density plays a role too in determining how hot the comb should be as well. Even with that said, I've crimped, waved, & hot curled my hair as well over the years without knowing the ANY temperature of the tools other than the Low -Hi- Off settings it provided and had little if any ill effects. Btw, before flat irons came with all the Nano, Tourmaline, & Ceramic stuff, I always thought of them as pressing the the hair without the teeth anyway. Just a matter of each individual's perspective I guess.

Last edited:

Course24

Someone told me that but I thought that wasn't possible and they was crazy. They said their friend gets it hot combed when getting a relaxer because her hair doesn't take well

Lilmama1011
That does sound crazy. Why bother getting the relaxer then? Just wash & press would seem less taxing on the hair & them it seems to me. :ohwell:

TopShelf

Sewing & Growing Gamma Gal
What should a good pressing comb be made of >>> Brass? Caast iron???

I am going for a press this weekend and if I get good results I will continue to press myself

Course24

What should a good pressing comb be made of >>> Brass? Caast iron???

I am going for a press this weekend and if I get good results I will continue to press myself

TopShelf
When I was a lil girl, my mom used a cast-iron pressing comb with a steel spiral handle on it (circa:1970-80's). There's no telling how long she had it even then since she was a press & curl diva. I haven't seen a new one made like that on the market at all in the last 20 years so that's a definitely vintage-style comb. The one I have is Kentucky Maid with yellow brass top and lacquered black wood handle. I'd have to say I've had it about 10 years now. If you are able to find one like one I'm using with grooved teeth behind the front teeth I do believe you can achieve the same stellar results as the old cast iron models did in the past. HTH

Last edited: