Any 4a/4b Natural retain length WITHOUT Protective Styling?

naturalmanenyc

I've been wearing my 4a natural hair out pretty much daily since August 2011 with the exception of a few days of wearing my Beshe Drew wig.

I know, I know, protective styling and low manipulation is key to retaining length but there has to be a way to enjoy your hair and still retain length?

Braids are not an option but I really want to hit BSL again, as a natural, which I expected to happen by now but I'm still hovering at APL.

Any success stories?

naturalmanenyc

^^^ That has been my signature style since August :grin: I love how braid outs look but I do not seem to be retaining as much length using this style.

Here is my normal braid out.

Here is my braid out on vacation after using Crisco.

Last edited:

MzSwift

When I'm rocking wigs, I undo my cornrows for a braidout on Friday night (date night). Then on Saturday, I'd rebraid and wash/DC for the week. That way I kept my hair protected most of the time but wore it out when it really mattered.

That, and mini braids, is closest I get to wearing my hair in out styles for long periods of time.

RegaLady

When I'm rocking wigs, I undo my cornrows for a braidout on Friday night (date night). Then on Saturday, I'd rebraid and wash/DC for the week. That way I kept my hair protected most of the time but wore it out when it really mattered.

That, and mini braids, is closest I get to wearing my hair in out styles for long periods of time.

I did this for the first time in a long time this weekend. I do not ever wear my hair out, especially in the winter. But I did a flexirod set and wore it out in the cold for a day and a half. I don't know how ladies can wear their hair out for longer than that without the hair suffering.:ohwell: But needless to say, my hair is back in the twists/bun until another event. I have to PS in order to retain length.

MissAlinaRose

@naturalmanenyc I'm 4b natural and wear my hair out everyday. I have found that protective styles didn't make much of a difference for me one way or another in the growth & retention department. So I begun to enjoy my hair more.

I credit that to a consistent regimen, detangling sessions that doesn't lead to breakage, and braiding my hair up in big plaits/frenchbraid at night. <---Lol does that count as protective styling if it's at night?? I don't know but during the day I strictly wear my hair out and it's all good.

ETA: I just read the post above me and I do think weather does play a factor. I live in a very hot/humid climate and so I don't really experience the harsh elements from winter.

Last edited:

pookaloo83

I wear my hair out in a twistout or puff everyday with occasional braid outs. I was just in a twist challenge where you keep your hair in twists for 3 months and that was the only time I really PS. I have to have my hair out. I'm sorry. :lol: No wigs, braids, or anything like that for me. If so, it's because I'm tired of my hair, not because I'm trying to retain. :ohwell:

pookaloo83

@naturalmanenyc I'm 4b natural and wear my hair out everyday. I have found that protective styles didn't make much of a difference for me one way or another in the growth & retention department. So I begun to enjoy my hair more.

I credit that to a consistent regimen, detangling sessions that doesn't lead to breakage, and braiding my hair up in big plaits/frenchbraid at night. <---Lol does that count as protective styling if it's at night?? I don't know but during the day I strictly wear my hair out and it's all good.

ETA: I just read the post above me and I do think weather does play a factor. I live in a very hot/humid climate and so I don't really experience the harsh elements from winter.

MissAlinaRose I like the method of braiding your twists for a stretched braidout. (just checked out your blog and love it!)

My twistouts the first day are always short! Can't wait to try this! :grin:

Bublin

That has always been my opinion. If you are detangling gently and 'setting' your hair and protecting it at night and whilst at home that's only 8-10 hours of the day (if you go out to work Mon-Fri) that you are actually wearing your hair out.
My trouble with retaining wasn't because i was wearing my hair out but i was using products my hair didn't like and experienced epic breakage during my rushed detangling sessions. I've sorted those issues out now :yep:.

MissAlinaRose

pookaloo83 Aww thanks pook! Let me know when you try it!!

Bublin Ok I see, thanks for clearing that up for me! ...and I wish I got 8-10 hours; it's more like 5-7 lol (I'm going to get better with this though).

naturalmanenyc

MissAlinaRose

I guess I need to work more on my night routine and low manipulation, long lasting hairstyles since DH and I prefer my hair out.

Winter, if this weather we are experiencing can even be called "winter", has been very challenging for my hair routine. We definitely have all 4 seasons in NYC and my natural hair is not yet used to the changes since it's only been out consistently since August.

spacetygrss

Back when I use to not cover my hair when outside I wore my hair out as long as it was warm without problems. However, I almost always kept it protective styled in the Fall and Winter (I lived in Chicago). I was able to retain 4-5 inches per year with no problem.

ETA: I didn't even keep my hair out when INSIDE during the Fall/Winter because the dry air from heaters would dry it right out. It wasn't worth it to me.

aicramphoto

@MissAlinaRose

I guess I need to work more on my night routine and low manipulation, long lasting hairstyles since DH and I prefer my hair out.

Winter, if this weather we are experiencing can even be called "winter", has been very challenging for my hair routine. We definitely have all 4 seasons in NYC and my natural hair is not yet used to the changes since it's only been out consistently since August.

I'm back to wearing my hair out (like you see in the photo) 'cause it didn't matter what I did, I can't seem to retain length (I've been collar bone for 4 years). Sooo, I braid my hair in 4 braids without combing it out at night, fluff it out in the AM, spritz very lightly with either water, a water/glycerin/aloe/oil mix or Knot Today and put a tiny amount of any curl product on it. I cleanse once a week, now, because daily wash and go's were the one thing where I did see more small curly cues in the shower.

As for the lady who lives in NYC: I'm a NY'er, too (yeah, some winter we're having, where is it?) and I use a little more oil after moisturizing to and I put a butter on every three days at night to counteract the heated indoors at home and work. I use less or no oil in summer: Knot Today or similar and a small amount of a curl product is enough with the humidity.

Zaz

I've done a pretty good job of retaining and wore wash n gos 90% of the time, I lost my computer so I have no photos but ill go check photobucket and see if I can find a beginning to recent comparison. I went from twa to bsb in about a year and a half.

Eta I'm in NEPA and we have pretty harsh winters and I still did my daily wash n go

Last edited: