Am I the only one??

rafikichick92

Hi everyone, I was just wondering if there is anyone else out there who has a permanent curl (also known as jherri curl or wave nouveau). If so, could you share your experiences, regimen, etc. Thanks!:grin:

Afro-Indi

....umm, you just may be the only one:ohwell:

In all of my fotki stalking, I can't honestly say I've come across anyone with a permanent wave.

Good luck!

Kirei

You probably won't find anyone on this forum with a jeri curl. Not trying to offend but that look is usually on older women 60s and up and sometimes 50s, so you may want to do a google search on that topic and see what comes up.

Most of the women on here are from teens to about late 30s early 40s who don't wear a jeri curl.

Also some women on here I believe had it when they were younger, like in the early 90s, when it was the "look" so you may be able to search for the words "jeri curl" in posts and see what comes up and ask them via PM how they cared for their hair.

Hope this helps!

Have a nice day!

~Liyah

AsTheCurlzTurns

....umm, you just may be the only one:ohwell:

In all of my fotki stalking, I can't honestly say I've come across anyone with a permanent wave.

Good luck!

I second this whole comment, but then on second thought, there is ONE person who has/had a wave nouveau but she was on BHM. But darn if I can remember her name, but since being here on LHCF, I don't recall seeing any fotkis whatsoever of anyone having them now.

nichelle02

I had a curl when I was in junior high and the first year of high school. But, I'm one of those old ones :lachen: (early 40's).

I'd share but I really wasn't that into hair then and I'm sure any little info would be out of date anyway. I got it because it was supposed to be easy to care for. Although I retained a lot of length, I never kept up with the routine that was supposed to go with it and I transitioned. I can't remember much beyond that.

I wish you luck on finding a hairmate.

Afro-Indi

Hi everyone, I was just wondering if there is anyone else out there who has a permanent curl (also known as jherri curl or wave nouveau). If so, could you share your experiences, regimen, etc. Thanks!:grin:

I hope you stick around here and gain as much knowledge as you can.

(I'm telling you this from the most loving place in my heart, okay?)You may disagree, but permanent waves/cold waves aren't a very healthy option for the hair.
I'm a stylist; I don't work in full-service anymore, I just cut hair now, but when I was in full-service, my personal experience was that every time a customer came in for a retouch, they would leave the with thinner hair than they had at their last retouch. These customers belonged to a woman that I worked for; I was her assistant and she had many jeri-curled clients; one of them was my own aunt!!
The damage that was done to the hair as a result of getting a cold wave was the very reason why I refused to perform that service and in 9 years, I've NEVER given anyone a cold wave.

Not to mention that you don't have too many styling options because of the importance of "keeping it wet/moisturized"
because if I'm not mistaken, (please correct me if I'm wrong, however I'm quite sure) I was taught that if a cold wave is blown out or completely dried out, excessive breakage and/or shedding occurs up to 24 hours after that......I've seen some long curls, but even with the length, they were VERY thin.

You're in the right place though:clap:

How long have been curled?
Do you have any pics?

rafikichick92

I hope you stick around here and gain as much knowledge as you can.

(I'm telling you this from the most loving place in my heart, okay?)You may disagree, but permanent waves/cold waves aren't a very healthy option for the hair.
I'm a stylist; I don't work in full-service anymore, I just cut hair now, but when I was in full-service, my personal experience was that every time a customer came in for a retouch, they would leave the with thinner hair than they had at their last retouch. These customers belonged to a woman that I worked for; I was her assistant and she had many jeri-curled clients; one of them was my own aunt!!
The damage that was done to the hair as a result of getting a cold wave was the very reason why I refused to perform that service and in 9 years, I've NEVER given anyone a cold wave.

Not to mention that you don't have too many styling options because of the importance of "keeping it wet/moisturized"
because if I'm not mistaken, (please correct me if I'm wrong, however I'm quite sure) I was taught that if a cold wave is blown out or completely dried out, excessive breakage and/or shedding occurs up to 24 hours after that......I've seen some long curls, but even with the length, they were VERY thin.

You're in the right place though:clap:

How long have been curled?
Do you have any pics?

Thanks for the info. I had a sneaking suspicion that this might be true for some odd reason. Anyway, it might come as a shock to you all, but I am not old at all. In fact, I won't give away my age, but I am still in high school. I got the curl on my virgin hair, and I've had it for two years. :grin: Afro-Indi, I think I am going to PM you for more info. And I will try to take some good pics and post them soon. Thanks again, everyone!!

Last edited: