Am I the only natural that hates...

KurlyNinja

Am I the only natural that hates being judged by their hair??? Why everybody think I have to be black power leader. I dont walk around all day saying "fight for your riiiights!". Or they think I'm some type of environmentalist. Or I have to be trying to prove something. Why can't I just like big hair? Or why can't it just be that I'm too lazy and cheap to want to deal with a relaxer? I even have a friend who think I'm more "profound" now and is always saying "he's so glad I decided to go natural for the community". :look: I really want to tell him that I'm still the same old rachet girl from freshman year, I've just found style and a job now. :lachen:

But he's not the only one. I get it from all over the place. When will I stopped getting all this flack just for growing out my hair???

Leeda.the.Paladin

Am I the only natural that hates being judged by their hair??? Why everybody think I have to be black power leader. I dont walk around all day saying "fight for your riiiights!". Or they think I'm some type of environmentalist. Or I have to be trying to prove something. Why can't I just like big hair? Or why can't it just be that I'm too lazy and cheap to want to deal with a relaxer? I even have a friend who think I'm more "profound" now and is always saying "he's so glad I decided to go natural for the community". :look: I really want to tell him that I'm still the same old rachet girl from freshman year, I've just found style and a job now. :lachen:

But he's not the only one. I get it from all over the place. When will I stopped getting all this flack just for growing out my hair???

I don't particularly like it. But I think as more and more people are turning to natural hair that this is becoming less of a thing. I see so many new naturals that think because they are natural now they have to wear a certain type of clothing, belong to certain groups, etc.

It's like "Yes, I do wear makeup, no I don't use juices n berries in my hair (unless it's the Oyin product :look:), no I do not belong to the black panthers" and on and on lol

Ogoma

It's hard to say, I kinda am militant. Always have been. But it's not why I went natural.

Same here. I have always been more militant* than anyone I know so as far as they are concerned this is a natural progression even if going natural had nothing to do with my militant ways.

*militant to them is insisting black people live their lives without worrying about what other people think constantly because I think consistently doing so is a punishment in of itself.

Tiye

Why everybody think I have to be black power leader. I dont walk around all day saying "fight for your riiiights!". Or they think I'm some type of environmentalist.

People are still assuming this with all of the attention naturals are getting in mainstream media? Corporations are picking the natural hair look for advertising campaigns and I don't think the Carole's Daughter target market are "fight for your rights" people. Sounds like someone is stuck way back in the 70s (even if this was well before they were born).

MrsJaiDiva

Embracing the Light
I've always been a "Fight The Power" woman, so No one thinks it's because of my hair. Ever since I was in HS, I've been so Liberal & Activist it makes peoples teeth hurt....nothing at all to do with having natural hair, and they know I'd be the same way if I went back to relaxers.

Aviah

People make assumptions regardless of what you do. I went natural because I wanted to. Its really no one's business why!