AM I crazy or does anyone else notice

YummyC

that your hair seems less thick the longer it gets?
I went for a wash & set last weekend and my hair felt super soft and it was shiny. Two days after the wash I decided to rock a pony tail. So I'm putting my hair up in the pony tail when it seemed like the ponytail has grown but my hair feels a lot less thick than what I'm use to. Anyone'????

I actually feel that way. I was putting my hair in a ponytail last night and my ponytail looks so scrawny. Glad to hear that someone else feels the same way too.

I uses a GOOD MOISTURIZER condition melts down the dryness in ur hair tha why it feels like tha.(but)
when i use a not so good conditioner it feel longer/heavy.

I wish I could blame it on more length. My hair is just thin! It was thin when it was shorter and it is still thin now that it is longer. I think it is from age or diet but I can't get a handle on why. On another board I've been on, there is a measue of ponytail thickness to determine if your hair is thin, normal or thick.
  • Measure the circumference of the ponytail. If you have bangs and/or you can't get all of your hair in there adjust according to how much of your hair you have measured.

i - thin (less than 2 inches/5 centimeters)
    ii - normal (between 2-4 inches or 5-10 centimeters)
    iii - thick (more than 4 inches/10 centimeters)
I'm level i. :ohwell:

you're not crazy, i've noticed this too. hair naturally grows in layers. so a long layered ponytail will look "thinner" on the bottom. the only way to gain more thickness -- assuming that your hair is healthy and not breaking/thinning for other reasons -- is to cut the bottom layers even with the top. good stylists who know how to grow hair seem to do this as a default. they keep the ends blunt -- continually trimming the bottom layers to even up with the top most layers as they grow, resulting in hair that looks and is "thick". but of course this approach means your hair takes longer to reach the promised land -- long hair -- but it will be thick throughout the journey. :) hth

Last edited:
I've definitely noticed this, and it's frustrating. My hair was never thick to begin with but since certain areas grow faster than others, the longest layer is thinner and so my hair appears to be thinning out. I agree with Tkj. I'm just hoping that I can grow my hair to a point and then keep trimming and maintaining it until the shorter parts catch up.

I've noticed it too. I love the length of my ponytail, but hate the width. If I want to do a bun, I have to do it on airdried hair, instead of rollerset/straight hair, because it looks rather anorexic.

I've noticed this too and it really bothers me. I was contemplating cutting to a little below bsl because of it. It's one of the reasons I stopped flat ironing as well. Now I do roller sets so it looks a lot fuller.

You're not crazy.I was just thinking the same thing. As my hair gains length It doesn't seem to gain thickness.:ohwell: I think it's me cuz when I wear it down everyone always says its thick

tkj25 said:
you're not crazy, i've noticed this too. hair naturally grows in layers. so a long layered ponytail will look "thinner" on the bottom. the only way to gain more thickness -- assuming that your hair is healthy and not breaking/thinning for other reasons -- is to cut the bottom layers even with the top. good stylists who know how to grow hair seem to do this as a default. they keep the ends blunt -- continually trimming the bottom layers to even up with the top most layers as they grow, resulting in hair that looks and is "thick". but of course this approach means your hair takes longer to reach the promised land -- long hair -- but it will be thick throughout the journey. :) hth

I agree with this. I've also noticed my hair seems thinner as it gets longer. I just did a touch-up on Sat and now my usual ponytail seems so thin. I didn't really trim the ends this time so I'm think that's why. I may try to give my hair a blunt trim next touch-up. I used to give it a blunt trim at every other touch-up, but I stopped since I joined LHCF. I think I may go back to doing this, maybe--I love to see the increased length. :D

msbrown76 said:
I've noticed it too. I love the length of my ponytail, but hate the width. If I want to do a bun, I have to do it on airdried hair, instead of rollerset/straight hair, because it looks rather anorexic.

This is soo me too.

My ponytails are usually scrawny (I have layers and my hair is naturally fine) but I part my hair down the middle, bantu knot, and baggy my ends so that when I get up and go out the next day the ponytail has some body to it and it's not laying there like a thin wet noodle. :look:

I think it is normal for the ends to appear or feel thinner because it is the OLDEST part of your hair. Just like if you have a favorite wool clothing and the more you wash it and wear it and it's exposed to the elements the fabric will eventually wear out(I read that somewhere). I think it's normal for ends to appear and feel thinner. I notice this too on my hair strands..but it's normal in my opinion.. we just have to keep it moisturized and sealed with oils to preserve it as long as we can.

GoldenBreeze said:
I haven't noticed this yet, but I'm only APL. What lengths did you all start to notice this?

well it may be more noticeable on relaxed hair strands... I noticed in your siggy that u r natural. So u may not ever experience this on your ends(u lucky girl):p . But yet I don't know if every poster on this thread that noticed it is actually relaxed.. I am relaxed though.

tkj25 said:

First let me say Yummy your hair is beautiful:)

Now TJK you are unto something[in bold]. That's why I'm not too happy w/my hair, it's doing well, but it's not even all over. My hair has been subjected to years of neglected/damaged by improper application of relaxers that now that it's coming in on its own, I'm beginning to see where my hair was lacking. I'll just continue to nurse my hair back to health and when it gets to a length that I'm comfortable w/then I'll just give myself a blunt cut to even things out..This might take another 3/5 years but at least my hair is going to be how I want it to be.

Saw a woman on the train yesterday, her hair was just so beautiful.. I tried not to stare but I couldn't help but to take a peek every now and then..Beautiful head of relaxed hair about arm pit lenth. I actually saw length & fullness. Damn, I'm glad my hair wasn't out becuase her hair would put my to shame.

i notice my ends are alot thinner than my newgrowth and makes the lower half of my hair look much thinner, especially when stretching relaxers

Yep, I was thinking the same thing after my relaxer a few weeks ago. I didn't know if it was because I was so used to my hair while stretching(30 weeks) or not. That's why I love henna! It makes your hair so much thicker!:D

InnerSoul said:
well it may be more noticeable on relaxed hair strands... I noticed in your siggy that u r natural. So u may not ever experience this on your ends(u lucky girl):p . But yet I don't know if every poster on this thread that noticed it is actually relaxed.. I am relaxed though.

Thanks, that's a thought. I'll still keep an eye out as I continue to gain length. When I'm detangling, I think it's the relaxed stranders that are lucky.:eek: :lol:

Yes, I noticed the same thing, I thought I had too many products in my hair so I washed it with Keracare 1st Lather the other day in hopes of getting some thickness back. I may have to trim my hair sooner than I originally planned at this point because I want that full look to my hair NOW!!!!!!

alexstin said:
Yep, I was thinking the same thing after my relaxer a few weeks ago. I didn't know if it was because I was so used to my hair while stretching(30 weeks) or not. That's why I love henna! It makes your hair so much thicker!:D

I also experienced the same thing since my recent touch up, when creating braids the ends would seem so wispy and thin. I gave my self a small blunt trim and it immediately improved the appeareance of my ends. I plan on using henna these weekend to also help. It seems thin ends are a bit of a consequence to having long hair. :ohwell:

Priestess said:
I also experienced the same thing since my recent touch up, when creating braids the ends would seem so wispy and thin. I gave my self a small blunt trim and it immediately improved the appeareance of my ends. I plan on using henna these weekend to also help. It seems thin ends are a bit of a consequence to having long hair. :ohwell:

I notice this last weekend. My hair has always been thick but when it was blowdried out my pony tail looked pitiful. I am hoping that henna will strengthen my ends and give it the fuller look.

Last edited:
tkj25 said:

Thanks everyone for responding. I really want to have thick all over hair so I might get a blunt cut a loose a few inches but at least it will look and feel thicker which makes me feel better. Now the trick is to find a good stylist to do the " trim" .

Misseyl said:
[/B]

First let me say Yummy your hair is beautiful:)

Now TJK you are unto something[in bold]. That's why I'm not too happy w/my hair, it's doing well, but it's not even all over. My hair has been subjected to years of neglected/damaged by improper application of relaxers that now that it's coming in on its own, I'm beginning to see where my hair was lacking. I'll just continue to nurse my hair back to health and when it gets to a length that I'm comfortable w/then I'll just give myself a blunt cut to even things out..This might take another 3/5 years but at least my hair is going to be how I want it to be.

Saw a woman on the train yesterday, her hair was just so beautiful.. I tried not to stare but I couldn't help but to take a peek every now and then..Beautiful head of relaxed hair about arm pit lenth. I actually saw length & fullness. Damn, I'm glad my hair wasn't out becuase her hair would put my to shame.

Thanks for the comp Missey :)

I know what you mean; There is a lady that works in my bldg and she has one head of hair! Its colored and it is always super shiny and bouncy... little past the shoulders. I asked her for her stylist information and she was so nice.

I difinitely just noticed this. My hair is really thick but the other day when I was touching/feeling my hair. I noticed when I got down to the last inch or so of my hair it felt thinner. I don't have damaged ends or anything but I think I am going to eventually cut that inch or so off. Today I put my hair into a ponytail and slightly trimmed the ponytail although I know that did'nt really do much. I had a few hairs that was wayyyyy longer than the rest of my hair:) so I trimmed it off but my hair feels super thick it's just that last inch or so.

Back