alternative to CON shampoo?

erin558

I'm looking for an alternative to CON. I'm starting to think that, believe it or not, it's that reason my hair is drying out and breaking ( along with trying out too many products ). I've read in a few threads that some of you had this problem as well. I'm not one of those people that can just try any shampoo because a lot of them strip my hair. I've heard of Breakthru but I can't seem to find it? Is there a shampoo that you can recommend that is moisturizing and actually cleans? CON wasn't even lathering in my hair anymore! I use to use NTM DCC ( i have NO idea why I stopped ) and im wondering if the NTM Shampoo is any good? I've gone to the NTM rave threads but no one really goes into detail about the shampoo. I'm just trying to find a good shampoo so I can just stick to very few products and get my hair back on track.

I have used these shampoo's since starting my hair journey. I seriously dont remember what I used before this but im sure it sucked too
:
Nexxus Therappe ( sucked my hair dry )
Elasta QP shampoo for relaxed hair ( dried me out after awhile )
Paul Mitchell Awapuhi ( kind of stripped my hair )
Keracare Detangling Shampoo
Sapmoss shampoo by Aveda. too drying

edit: and yes, I clarify

Last edited:
I just bought and used Design essentials moisturizing shampoo and it is wonderful. It lathers up nicely and smells great. I am currently almost 6-weeks post relaxer and I was able to comb thru my hair easily after using it. You don't need much and it really surges moisture in.

Keracare Hydratiang and Detangling shampoo is just as good as CON, though more exspensive. It works beautifully to detangle and soften, without making your hair feel slimy.

chocolatesis said:
Keracare Hydratiang and Detangling shampoo is just as good as CON, though more exspensive. It works beautifully to detangle and soften, without making your hair feel slimy.
I have the hydrating shampoo. sucked my hair dry! I was mad :mad: Lol see what I mean? It's like I can't even use shampoo!

erin558 said:
I have the hydrating shampoo. sucked my hair dry! I was mad :mad: Lol see what I mean? It's like I can't even use shampoo!

Wow, it didn't work for you? Sorry to hear that. My hair is the same way with conditioners. Right now, it seems like nothing wants to work for me in the way of conditioners, but thank goodness Keracare HD shampoo still works for me. Hope you find something that works for you. :)

erin558 said:
which shampoo? aren't there a few?

There's more than one :confused:?

The one I'm talking about is the Lavish Conditioning Shampoo. I haven't used it in a while but I remember it being pretty good. HTH

chocolatesis said:
Wow, it didn't work for you? Sorry to hear that. My hair is the same way with conditioners. Right now, it seems like nothing wants to work for me in the way of conditioners, but thank goodness Keracare HD shampoo still works for me. Hope you find something that works for you. :)

I know! I was so sad because I thought it was going to be the answer to my prayers. I think im the only person on this board that it didnt work for.

Browndilocks said:

The one I'm talking about is the Lavish Conditioning Shampoo. I haven't used it in a while but I remember it being pretty good. HTH

Im not sure, i just assumed there was more than one.

CON was making my hair break, too. I have used better shampoos than the NTM one. I LOVE the Porosity Control Shampoo. It makes my hair feel like a conditioner does.

I also like the Motions conditioning shampoo and the Loreal Nature's Therapy Moisturizing shampoo.

Browndilocks said:

That's the one I like. It is my 2nd choice.

Here is my lists in order of favorite:
Roux Porosity Control
Motions Lavish
Loreal Nature's Therapy Moisturizing
ORS Creamy Aloe

The only reason why the Loreal Nature's Therapyis under Motions is because Motions is so cheap. I actually think the Loreal Nature's Therapy is more moisturizing. The ORS Creamy Aloe is REALLY GOOD. Honestly, the last 3 are in close running with each other.

You could try Elasta QP Creme Conditioning Shampoo. I did not like the Elasta shampoo for relaxed hair, it made my hair dry also.

HoneyDew said:
That's the one I like. It is my 2nd choice.

Here is my lists in order of favorite:
Roux Porosity Control
Motions Lavish
Loreal Nature's Therapy Moisturizing
ORS Creamy Aloe

The only reason why the Loreal Nature's Therapyis under Motions is because Motions is so cheap. I actually think the Loreal Nature's Therapy is more moisturizing. The ORS Creamy Aloe is REALLY GOOD. Honestly, the last 3 are in close running with each other.

ive been eyeing the creamy aloe but i was afraid the aloe would dry me out as well.

I like Elucence Moisture Balance shampoo & conditioner....it doesn't seem to leave a buildup and my hair feels very soft & moisturized when it dries :)

Elucence doesn't have any cones, I don't if your hair likes them or not, but here's some info & list of the ingredients for Elucence:

Moisture Balancing Conditioner is a dual purpose moisture adjusting product. This smart formula adjusts moisture as needed and works two ways.

As a one-minute rinse out, it boosts moisture levels with essential lipids and proteins. As a leave-in lotion, it provides continuous moisturizing and suppleness to unusually dry hair.

These lipids and fatty acids mimic hair and scalp natural moisture. Squalane, a natural component of hair and scalp moisture is used in this formula to replenish and restore moisture balance (this special ingredient comes from olives). Lipids provide subsurface hydration, optimizing moisture levels and detangle hair to create managability. Hydrolyzed proteins process from natural wheat, lock in moisture to prevent dehydration. For intense moisture treatment, use under dryer for 15-20 minutes (with plastic cap). Or use MicroHeat Cap.

Key ingredients: Panax Ginseng root extract, cetraria islandia (Irish Moss) extract, saccharomyces cerevisiea (Brewer's Yeast) extract, Gingko Biloba extract, pimpinella anisum (Anise) fruit extract, prunis persica (Peach) extract in purified water, hexadecanol, stearakonium chloride, certimonium bromide, Squalane (olive oil lipid), Capric Caprillic Triglycerides (coconut fatty acids), Panthenol (pro-vitamin USP), Biotin (USP), imisazolidinyl urea, methylparaben (USP), fragrance

And the shampoo:

Moisture Benefits Shampoo was created to both correct and prevent. A special combination of lipids, vitamins and polysaccharides provides needed hydration to correct moisture-depleted hair.

To further prevent dryness, a special surfactant derived from coconut oil is used. Moisture Benefits shampoo is exceptionally color friendly. This dual purpose (gentle cleansing and conditioning formula) shampoo detangles and improves your hair's manageability and texture.

Perfect for dry and/or color-treated hair. This moisture-adjusting formulation selectively determines the proper level of moisture needed. Excess moisture is simply dismissed in the lather during rinsing.

10.1 fl oz

Ingredients: Prunis Persica (Peach) extract, Pimpenella anisum (Anise) fruit extract, Panax Ginseng root extract, Ginkgo Bilobika extract, cetraria islandica (Irish Moss) extract, saccharomyces cerevisiea (Brewer's Yeast) extract in purified water, sodium myreth solfate (coconut oil-derived). C14-16 olefin sulfonate (mineral-derived_, cocomidopropyl betaine (coconut oil-derived)hydrolyzed wheat protein, tocopherol acetate, Panthenol (provitamin), glycol distearate (fatty acid-derived), polyquaternium-10 (polysaccharide celulose, DMDM Hydantoin, methlyparaben (USP), propylparaben(UPS), benzophenone-4 (UV absorber), fragrance, D&C orange 4CI 15510

HTH :)
Here's the link too:http://www.curlmart.com/Elucence-Moisture-Benefits-Shampoo-p-36.html

You may need to clarify your hair. After a while I think almost all if not all products stop working because of build up. You may not even be able to really feel this build up but it there and it makes so moisture can't get in and your hair drys out. Once you clarify your hair the products start to work again. Just switching products can help a bit too but I have had the best results from using a clarifing shampoo. (That reminds me, I need to clarify again). I try to do it once every two months.

smitmarv said:
You may need to clarify your hair. After a while I think almost all if not all products stop working because of build up. You may not even be able to really feel this build up but it there and it makes so moisture can't get in and your hair drys out. Once you clarify your hair the products start to work again. Just switching products can help a bit too but I have had the best results from using a clarifing shampoo. (That reminds me, I need to clarify again). I try to do it once every two months.

I clarified my hair so that's not hte problem, and it did it more than once. not like back to back but I knew that CON had build up so I did clarify.

erin558 said:
ive been eyeing the creamy aloe but i was afraid the aloe would dry me out as well.

That shampoo is not drying at all. I mean everyone is different, but it is used in the relaxer as the neutralizing shampoo and it removes calcium buildup.

It is not clarifying, though. But, for me, I need a shampoo that removes mineral buildup because of my water quality. This one does well.

It would good if you could sample some. You are going to get many suggestions here. :)

HoneyDew said:
That shampoo is not drying at all. I mean everyone is different, but it is used in the relaxer as the neutralizing shampoo and it removes calcium buildup.

It is not clarifying, though. But, for me, I need a shampoo that removes mineral buildup because of my water quality. This one does well.

It would good if you could sample some. You are going to get many suggestions here. :)

lol yeah. i was reading a thread and someoone said that it was a good clarifying so thats what turned me off. I need to see the ingredients because my hair HATES all of that SLS mess.

erin558 said:
lol yeah. i was reading a thread and someoone said that it was a good clarifying so thats what turned me off. I need to see the ingredients because my hair HATES all of that SLS mess.

It does have SLS.

Water Aqua , Cocamidopropyldimethylamine Propionate , Trideceth-7 Carboxylic Acid , PPG-5-Ceteth-10 Phosphate , Ammonium Lauryl Sulfate , Ammonium Laureth Sulfate , Lauramide Glucoside , Lauryl Glucoside , Polyquaternium-10 , Cocoglucoside , Glyceryl Oleate , Disodium EDTA , Olive Oil Olea Europaea , Cetrimonium Carboxydecyl , PEG-8 Dimethicone , Cetrimonium Chloride , Sulfated Castor Oil , Lecithin , Propylene Glycol , PEG-12 Oleate , Silicone Quaternium-2 , Panthenol Succinate , Fragrance Parfum , Aloe Barbadensis Gel , Glyceryl Polymethacrylate , Propylene Glycol , Polyquaternium-7 , Cocamide MEA , Glycol Distearate , Sodium Laureth Sulfate , Triethanolamine , DMDM Hydantoin , Methylparaben , Propylene Glycol , Propyl Paraben , Methylchloroisothiazolinone , Methylisothiazolinone , Green No. 3 Cl 42053 , Yellow No. 5 Cl 19140

The porosity control shampoo does not have SLS but it does have some other sulfates. Ammonium lauryl sulfate, I think.

HoneyDew said:
The porosity control shampoo does not have SLS but it does have some other sulfates. Ammonium lauryl sulfate, I think.

lol this is so frustrating. i don't think im going to find a shampoo that works for me.

You know, I had been wanting to try the Breakthru as well, but I cant find it either!:( But, Ive since discovered Elasta Creme Conditioning Shampoo. It detangles very well, too. And it doesnt have any sulfates. The Elasta Shampoo for Relaxed Hair dried my hair out, too.

Last edited:
shunta said:
You know, I had been wanting to try the Breakthru as well, but I cant find it either!:( But, Ive since discovered Elasta Creme Conditioning Shampoo. It detangles very well, too. And it doesnt have any sulfates. The Elasta Shapoo for Relaxed Hair dried my hair out, too.

Yeah, again I thought i was the only person that experienced this with the elasta QP Relaxed hair shampoo. That stuff was the bomb at first though.

I cant really find the elasta QP creme shampoo. its not even on the sally's website

Wow, even Sap Moss dried you out? :eek: I'm truly shocked. But you know, shampoo isn't absolutely vital. Maybe you'll just end up using it occasionally. Good luck!

Wow, even Sap Moss dried you out? :eek: I'm truly shocked. But you know, shampoo isn't absolutely vital. Maybe you'll just end up using it occasionally. Good luck!

brazenxvirtue said:

well, it didn't DRY me out but my hair just felt very..weird. you know what? I really think that my terrible Nexxus experience has scarred me and that every shampoo that isnt CON is going to strip my hair. im thinking that maybe i should revisit the sapmoss.

i need shampoo, im not one of those CO people.

:ohwell:
erin558 said:
well, it didn't DRY me out but my hair just felt very..weird. you know what? I really think that my terrible Nexxus experience has scarred me and that every shampoo that isnt CON is going to strip my hair. im thinking that maybe i should revisit the sapmoss.

i need shampoo, im not one of those CO people.

Therappe dried me out too. And it is NOT a fun feeling to expect softness and get, well, something far different. If you still have some left I might give it another shot.

What about a children's shampoo? Does anyone know if those are more gentle?

Back