Alternative to a relaxer?

MsKibibi

Hi Ladies,

My little sister went natural a couple years ago and she is now very anti-relaxer. Is they anything that she can use to 'release the curl' but its not permanent and will last longer than hot combing?

She doesnt want to permanently alter her hair structure. She has 4a/4b hair and when it was permed it was bra strap length, if she were to perm it right now it would be a few inches past her shoulder. But since she doesnt want a perm, i'm trying to find something else she can use.

Thanks

SherryLove

check out these links: www.treasuredlocks.com/naturalrelaxer.html and www.treasuredlocks.com/nafa.html

NubianAngel

If she is truly anti relaxer and doesn't want to permanently alter her texture, I would warn her to steer clear of anything promising to last longer than a press but allow her texture to fully revert. It's just my opinion, but sometimes we want to have our cake and eat it too, and companies can cash in on that.
If she wants a different look, maybe she can experiment with different products such as that curl cream curve customers rave about.

MsKibibi

Yeah she's anti relaxer, not sure if she's anti-chemicals though. But she basically doesnt want bone-straight hair at the expense of using a relaxer. She likes her texture it just would be easier for her to comb it if the curls were loosened. What does a texturizer do for natural hair? Maybe she needs something like that. Any suggestions?
Thanks

alibi

hair bored
Hello mskibibi. What part of Florida are you in?

Anyway, to answer your question, a texturizer is a relaxer that you don't leave on a long as recommended. Since you don't leave it on as long, it doesn't straighten your hair all the way. It is great to make natural hair a little more manageable, but it is still a relaxer, and therefore a chemical, so if your sister is anti-relaxer, I'm not sure that this would be the best option for her. How does she wear her hair now?

NubianAngel

A texturizer is a mild relaxer. It isn't left on long enough to get hair bone straight, so some of the texture is left over. She would no longer be natural.

Oops didn't see ayanapoo's reply

SherryLove

[ QUOTE ]
MsKibibi said:
Yeah she's anti relaxer, not sure if she's anti-chemicals though. But she basically doesnt want bone-straight hair at the expense of using a relaxer. She likes her texture it just would be easier for her to comb it if the curls were loosened. What does a texturizer do for natural hair? Maybe she needs something like that. Any suggestions?
Thanks

[/ QUOTE ]

so something like the naturalrelaxer is what she's looking for. have you checked out the links....it provides valuable info.....GodMademePretty has used it..check out her post.. naturalrelaxer

MsKibibi

Oh I see, I'll talk to her about the texturizer and see what she says. Right now she either wears her hair in chiny bumps (thats what we call them in Jamaica but I think they call them bantu knots in the US). Or she will braid the front of her hair, and leave the rest out as a fro. Or put a band around her hair and wear an all out fro.
I'm in Orlando by the way and my sister is in Miami.
Now when you get a texturizer, does your hair still look somewhat natural? and is it permanent?

Autumn

I really don't think that there is such a product. Anthing lasting longer than a press/blowout/rollerset will permanently alter the hair stucture, that is, break it down.
If there was such a product, they'd sell a lot of it!
(I'd be in line for it too!)

MsKibibi

Thank you ladies, I'm going to send her the link for this post. Ive been trying to get her to join this forum since I found out about it, but she thinks that we're obsessed with hair. US! OBSESSED! NO NOT US!

alibi

hair bored
[ QUOTE ]
MsKibibi said:
Now when you get a texturizer, does your hair still look somewhat natural? and is it permanent?

[/ QUOTE ]

A texturizer is permanent in the sense that it is a chemical, and you can't get your hair back to its natural state, but it's not all the way straight either. It looks like naturally curly hair, so long as you have some curly hair to begin with. It won't give you what you don't have naturally, so if your sister doesn't have a natural curl pattern to begin with, it will frizz her hair, b/c it only slightly relaxes or loosens what you already have.
You can look at curlcurly's pics in the LHCF photo gallery, or go to the curve salon website to get a better idea of what a texturizer looks like. (FYI a "silkener" on the Curve site is the same as a texturizer.
)

MsKibibi

[ QUOTE ]
ayanapooh said:
[ QUOTE ]
MsKibibi said:

[/ QUOTE ]

A texturizer is permanent in the sense that it is a chemical, and you can't get your hair back to its natural state, but it's not all the way straight either. It looks like naturally curly hair, so long as you have some curly hair to begin with. It won't give you what you don't have naturally, so if your sister doesn't have a natural curl pattern to begin with, it will frizz her hair, b/c it only slightly relaxes or loosens what you already have.
You can look at curlcurly's pics in the LHCF photo gallery, or go to the curve salon website to get a better idea of what a texturizer looks like. (FYI a "silkener" on the Curve site is the same as a texturizer.
)

[/ QUOTE ]

I was wondering what a silkener was. That salon seems expensive though, it said you have to put down a $50 nonrefunable deposit for an appt. If the deposit is $50, how much is the session?

alibi

hair bored
I haven't been there, but I do know others have said they're pretty high. But unless you know what you're doing, the first silkener/texturizer should be done professionally b/c timing is key with this process. Also, Curve applies the deposit towards your service.