All of my hair issues solved and NOT in a bottle

Neen

All of these years I've been coming to this forum looking for the answer to my problems when it was right under my nose, well, really in my mouth. Check this out.

About 2 months ago I went on a diet where I gave up complex carbs such as doughnuts, french fries, pop, etc. I only drank water, gatorade, decaf coffee and 100% juice. Lean Cuisines were my staple lunch and dinners and Total cereal or a protein for breakfast . I also took a multi-vitamin, biotin and calcium. I did this change for my overall health and weight loss (I lost 20+ pounds :yep: ) so when my hair became healthier I chalked it up to switching to a mild relaxer and new products. I was using Kenra and PM at the time. Well anyway, needless to say, I fell off the wagon and my hair problems came back, as well as other issues. My scalp began itching like crazy, hair breaking off to 1" to .5" in the crown, extremely dry. These are the same issues I had been struggling with for YEARS. The same issues that brought me to this board in the first place. The same issues that sent me to physicians, dermatologist, endocrinologist, and hairstylists. I can't even fathom the thought of how much money I have spent on products, herbs, medications, and appointments to fix my hair. Not to mention the other health issues I had like acne on my face and chest, low energy, hair on the chin :blush:. It didn't dawn on me that it was my diet change so I switched products. As some of you know, I posted not to long ago about switching conditioners, so obviously this revelation didn't come to me until recently (like last night at 1am). Anyway, I'm back on my diet and hopefully I will good news to tell you in about a week or so.

They say all things happen for a reason though. And I never would have found this board if I didn't go through all this hoopla. Plus, now I'm all educated on hair stuff and I LOOOOOOOOVE hair stuff! :yep:.

BOTTOM LINE
If your frequenting Burger King a little too much, give it a break. Your hair will love you for it :kiss:.

Neen,

You are absolutely correct about diet. I've always been a HUGE junk food fanatic, but my health and skin suffered for years. A little over a year or so, I changed my diet to include more protein and almost no sugar and carbs for the first time. My hair just sprouted out!!

Just like you, I've noticed that when I fall off the healthy eating wagon and stop taking vitamins, my hair and skin takes a drastic dive South.

No worries, you'll soon see the results you saw before after making those healthy eating changes in your hair very soon. Best wishes!

SG

Hey, I know an um 'friend' with the hairy chin problem, and uh 'she' needs advice about exactly what you did to keep from looking like Mr. Billy Goat. :sekret:

I too have noticed that changing my way of eating for the better has not only did it to stop shedding but hair breakage stopped dead in it's tracks.

Congrats on that realization. I have the same re: my headaches but just like a junkie I keep feeding my self the poisonous sugar. Hopefully here soon I will turn it around.

Congrats again.

Bumping for others :yep:.

I also wanted to add that I found a great Multi, one where I don't have to take a b-complex with it as well. It's Health Foods Unlimited Brand, which is a store here in Centerville, OH so I'm not sure if you all could get it. I'll have to see if you can purchase it on-line. It's in a capsule so it's better absorbed than tablets, which have a lot of fillers. Tip: they said at the store it best to take one in the the morning and a second in the afternoon because your water soluble vitamins flush out and you'll need to "re-fuel" so to speak. So I guess it's best to get the vitamins that say take 2 per day so you don't overdose.

Last edited:
senimoni said:
Congrats on that realization. I have the same re: my headaches but just like a junkie I keep feeding my self the poisonous sugar. Hopefully here soon I will turn it around.

I am the same way. I'm hooked on the white stuff. I've been trying to wean myself off of it but it's really difficult. Caffene is my weakness too. I need to drink more green tea and less Starbucks coffee. Not only will my hair thank me for it but my poor little wallet. :ohwell:

Koffie said:
Hey, I know an um 'friend' with the hairy chin problem, and uh 'she' needs advice about exactly what you did to keep from looking like Mr. Billy Goat. :sekret:

Reposting my question for Neen (My friend really needs help :sekret: )

Neen, congrats! I have been on a low carb "lifestyle" for about 10 years now and my skin, hair, nails, weight and a host of other "issues" slowly melted away. I gained about 25 pounds my first year of lawschool and my 5ft frame just couldn't handled that extra weight (I went from 100 pounds to 125 pounds in about 1 year due to long hours sitting and reading/studying and of course, long hours snacking -- love, love almond joy -- ate pounds of the stuff that first year!). Anywho, I went on this modified low carb program, giving up most complex starch (potatos, pasta, bread, and my beloved rice, etc.) and soft drinks off all kinds. I DID NOT exercise (still don't!) and I DID NOT stop snacking, just cut off the carbs and replaced my almond joy bars with raw almonds instead (and other nuts, like walnuts, pecans, etc.) and the soft drinks with water, yes, plain ole water with lemon squeezed for flava and that extra vitamin C (juices, even "natural" juices have hidden carbs in the form of sugar, so anyone SERIOUS about losing, should keep juices to a minimum at first). My progress was dramatic and inspirational -- I dropped 10 pounds in 2 weeks!

I DO eat carbs on regular basis, but I do only about 20 to 30 percent of what I use to and even then, I'm careful about WHAT kinds of carbs -- when I do rice, I do "wild brown rice" which is about half the carb content of regular white rice. When I do potatoes, I stick with sweet potatos or 'candy yams' and stay far far away from regular white potates (again, the carb content is way lower AND more nutritious). I use oat flour to bake, I get from health food store, about the same price as regular white flour, but packed with more nutrients. I mean, I can go on an on about the "good carbs" which are just as satisfying, but more nutritous then the "white carbs" also, they're just as available -- For example, you can buy sweet potatos and wild rice and any grocery store. CAUTION, even the "good carbs" will cause weight gain if used to excess!!

I can eat at mcdonalds or any restaurant I "just say no" to the breads and ask for a veggie substitute if my entree has rice or potatoes, no problem! I do red meat, fish, chicken, eggs, etc. and live a "normal" life without starving or exercising and I can rock the clothes in my closet for days!!!

I have maintained my "normal" 100 pounds for last 10 years (give or take a few pounds when I over-do carbs, which i occasionally do, especially during holidays . . . ) The key is to UNDERSTAND your body and so now when I gain a few pounds, i usually know WHY and I know HOW to take it off (cut off the carbs completley!)

ANOTHER CAUTION: the low carb is for those who don't workout or exercise, thus any carbs entering the digestive system does not get readily "burned off" thru exercising but rather is stored by the body and over time causes weight gain. If you work out regularly are you are an athletes YOU MUST EAT CARBS AND LOTS OF IT BECAUSE CARBS ARE THE FUEL YOUR BODY NEEDS TO BURN DURING WORKOUTS.

Thanks for listening . . .

Neen, you are so right. Healthy eating habits is the key. I've been thinking about going back to my vegetarian ways...

This is a great thread! Thank you ladies for sharing. I too have noticed an overall change in my health and appearance due to healthier eating habits. I cut out soda and chocolate completely (Coca Cola and Snickers bars were my weakness). I also take a multi, drink more water and eat vegetables and fruits regularly. I have not gained much length due to trimming of old neglected hair but my hair is much healthier than previously.

I will be checking in on this thread periodically for any other words of advice.

Neen, I love your little creation story in your signature! :yep: I learn something new each day! :grin:

I'm not big on sugar. I like salty and spicy foods, so my weakness is potato chips. I only go crazy on them at work, but usually no more than once a week(but at that time, I will eat a whole bag, if not close to it). I love pasta, rice, beans, etc. I do love veggies too. I can't say I can ditch carbs too much, but I do try to avoid fast food joints like McDonald's and Sonic. I like to cook at home, because I can eat a greater variety of foods without all the processing. You go Neen! I will definitely try to eat healthier, and see what it does for my hair!

This post is so true! I went natural b/c of my itchy, flaky scalp issues. Imagine my surprise when they were still there even though I was no longer perming!

Garbage in, Garbage out.

Thanks for all the replies and encouragement. It's hard to be healthy :yep:.

:wave: Hey there DelightfulFlame (my natural inspiration :) ). Your hair is looking good :yep:.

Koffie said:
Reposting my question for Neen (My friend really needs help :sekret: )

About the hair on the face, she may need to get her hormones checked. Hair on the chin is a sign of hormone imbalance. Eating a high carb diet will often lead to a a surge in insulin levels (also a hormone) which will throw off all other hormones, like estrogen, progesterone and testosterone. All hormones are sensitve and effect each other, (like a domino effect). See if she experiences other issues like irregular periods, painful periods, chest hair, acne, moodiness, bloating.Or if she gets tired after eating things like pasta, bagels, pop, pies. She may have a disorder called PCOS, like myself. If so, you or her should check out www.soulcysters.org. She should also get her thyroid checked. If i'm not mistaken, I think thyroid issues can cause facial hair (hirsutism) as well.

Her best bet is to shave instead of plucking. I know many people advise against that but plucking will cause scarring, thickening of the hair, and ingrown hairs (I'm assuming she is black with 4a/b hair). Once her diet is adjusted she should notice a dramatic decrease in hair growth and the number of times she will need to shave each week. HTH.

Neroli said:
Neen, congrats! I have been on a low carb "lifestyle" for about 10 years now and my skin, hair, nails, weight and a host of other "issues" slowly melted away. I gained about 25 pounds my first year of lawschool and my 5ft frame just couldn't handled that extra weight (I went from 100 pounds to 125 pounds in about 1 year due to long hours sitting and reading/studying and of course, long hours snacking -- love, love almond joy -- ate pounds of the stuff that first year!). Anywho, I went on this modified low carb program, giving up most complex starch (potatos, pasta, bread, and my beloved rice, etc.) and soft drinks off all kinds. I DID NOT exercise (still don't!) and I DID NOT stop snacking, just cut off the carbs and replaced my almond joy bars with raw almonds instead (and other nuts, like walnuts, pecans, etc.) and the soft drinks with water, yes, plain ole water with lemon squeezed for flava and that extra vitamin C (juices, even "natural" juices have hidden carbs in the form of sugar, so anyone SERIOUS about losing, should keep juices to a minimum at first). My progress was dramatic and inspirational -- I dropped 10 pounds in 2 weeks!

I DO eat carbs on regular basis, but I do only about 20 to 30 percent of what I use to and even then, I'm careful about WHAT kinds of carbs -- when I do rice, I do "wild brown rice" which is about half the carb content of regular white rice. When I do potatoes, I stick with sweet potatos or 'candy yams' and stay far far away from regular white potates (again, the carb content is way lower AND more nutritious). I use oat flour to bake, I get from health food store, about the same price as regular white flour, but packed with more nutrients. I mean, I can go on an on about the "good carbs" which are just as satisfying, but more nutritous then the "white carbs" also, they're just as available -- For example, you can buy sweet potatos and wild rice and any grocery store. CAUTION, even the "good carbs" will cause weight gain if used to excess!!

I can eat at mcdonalds or any restaurant I "just say no" to the breads and ask for a veggie substitute if my entree has rice or potatoes, no problem! I do red meat, fish, chicken, eggs, etc. and live a "normal" life without starving or exercising and I can rock the clothes in my closet for days!!!

I have maintained my "normal" 100 pounds for last 10 years (give or take a few pounds when I over-do carbs, which i occasionally do, especially during holidays . . . ) The key is to UNDERSTAND your body and so now when I gain a few pounds, i usually know WHY and I know HOW to take it off (cut off the carbs completley!)

ANOTHER CAUTION: the low carb is for those who don't workout or exercise, thus any carbs entering the digestive system does not get readily "burned off" thru exercising but rather is stored by the body and over time causes weight gain. If you work out regularly are you are an athletes YOU MUST EAT CARBS AND LOTS OF IT BECAUSE CARBS ARE THE FUEL YOUR BODY NEEDS TO BURN DURING WORKOUTS.

Thanks for listening . . .

thanks for sharing. you have inspired me to eat better.

Neen said:
About the hair on the face, she may need to get her hormones checked. Hair on the chin is a sign of hormone imbalance. Eating a high carb diet will often lead to a a surge in insulin levels (also a hormone) which will throw off all other hormones, like estrogen, progesterone and testosterone. All hormones are sensitve and effect each other, (like a domino effect). See if she experiences other issues like irregular periods, painful periods, chest hair, acne, moodiness, bloating.Or if she gets tired after eating things like pasta, bagels, pop, pies. She may have a disorder called PCOS, like myself. If so, you or her should check out www.soulcysters.org. She should also get her thyroid checked. If i'm not mistaken, I think thyroid issues can cause facial hair (hirsutism) as well.

Her best bet is to shave instead of plucking. I know many people advise against that but plucking will cause scarring, thickening of the hair, and ingrown hairs (I'm assuming she is black with 4a/b hair). Once her diet is adjusted she should notice a dramatic decrease in hair growth and the number of times she will need to shave each week. HTH.

OK, I went to this website, and alll it had was allegations of so-in-so being gay:ohwell:

I noticed it to. My hair usually grows pretty slow. Or it stays the same length forever. Well I am a pepsi addict. 2-3 cans a day. Anyway, last year I just suddenly stopped cold turkey. I drank water with lemon everyday for about a month. My hair grew like crazy within that short time span. I didnt think anything about it at the time. I went back on Pepsi.
Then this year I only had 1 1/2 inch of new growth in beginning of Jan from being 12 weeks post. For new years, I gave up pepsi again and went back to water and lemon. Beginning of this month checked and I have almost 5 inches of new growth from being 20 wks post. I never had that much new growth in short time like that. I'm back on Pepsi again though..sigh. Will try to stop.

Great post Neen- you are quite an inspiration. I'm glad you figured out the key to healthier hair (and a healthier life!)

Jeez I just wanted long hair...you guys are going to force me to get rid of all my bad habits...sugar...flour..Coke.....and cigarettes. But I know I need to.

This is a great thread. Thanks to all of you for the inspiration. I know I need to give up sugar too and simple carbs in general. I notice when I eat too much sugary stuff my cheeks start to itch and that's where I get breakouts. Had never realized that my diet could affect my hair too. After reading Sylver2's story I am really determined to cut the sugar and drink more water!

senimoni said:
Jeez I just wanted long hair...you guys are going to force me to get rid of all my bad habits...sugar...flour..Coke.....and cigarettes. But I know I need to.

Girl, you sound like me :lol: I was too mad last weekend when I came to this realization...all I wanted was some damn hair! :lol:.

Last edited:
Back