All members should pay attention to the announcement posted above

dimopoulos

Crazy Greek
Staff member
BostonMaria: There is a special package called 'Sellers' under User CP - Subscriptions. This one allows you to post in the Sellers forum and advertise. The color of your display name changes to brown in that case.

Robotxcore please check post #56 in this topic.

robot.

BostonMaria: There is a special package called 'Sellers' under User CP - Subscriptions. This one allows you to post in the Sellers forum and advertise. The color of your display name changes to brown in that case.

Robotxcore please check post #56 in this topic.

You can't track blogs? Genuine question. Can you only track fotki links or all links?

Firstborn2

Stop frontin, you know me!
i didnt even now to click on the red blinky thing til this thread popped up. like others have said, it was talking about twitter before so i thought that it was and advertisement like the "ads by google" that's up there too... who woulda thunk?!

Yeah me too, thanks OP for reposting, I would have never checked it...I will start checking from here on out:yep:

dimopoulos

Crazy Greek
Staff member
You can't track blogs? Genuine question. Can you only track fotki links or all links?

We can track everything but we do not do so since it is the understanding that we are dealing with adults here who respect the rules of this forum.

The ads/signatures issue comes up once every year - perhaps twice. Lately though it has blown out of proportion since a lot of members become members purely to advertise. This is really not appreciated nor allowed.

dimopoulos

Crazy Greek
Staff member
Why is it no matter how I try to edit my siggy it tell me I can only have 5 lines? Even when I make it 5 lines :wallbash:

Try copying your signature and pasting the code in notepad. Then delete your signature from the forum and save your changes. After that try to set the signature back to what you want it.

HTH

LynnieB

Just like you said you can't check everyone's fotki, but you didn't automatically rule those out. IMO, if blogs aren't allowed, neither should be fotki links. You don't know where either could take you.

Try the new, improved shrunken kitty ROBOT - just do me a favor, save it to your computer than upload where ever you store you images. I'll keep her here for a couple days then delete.

I like wiggie kitty too ;)

january noir

Sunny On a Cloudy Day
Try the new, improved shrunken kitty ROBOT - just do me a favor, save it to your computer than upload where ever you store you images. I'll keep her here for a couple days then delete.

That's sweet of you LynnieB! :hug2:

robot.

It seems a lot of people like kitty. Thank you. :bighug:

robot.

We can track everything but we do not do so since it is the understanding that we are dealing with adults here who respect the rules of this forum.

The ads/signatures issue comes up once every year - perhaps twice. Lately though it has blown out of proportion since a lot of members become members purely to advertise. This is really not appreciated nor allowed.

Then why not track the blogs too? You said you can track fotkis, but obviously you can't track everything.

The point I'm making is fotkis can be just as "bad" as monetized blogs (and some blogs aren't monetized at all), so I don't think it follows to allow one and not the other.

But this isn't my site, just my opinion. Rules are rules.

AfroKink

I'm not really understanding this. Doesn't a site like CNN.com gets money based on the number of people who view it and they also have advertisement right on there website?

And with signatures, isn't the amount of space taken up by a signature (1/4 of browser that's being allowed) dependent on the size of your computer screen to a certain extent?

I will say that I'm glad to see certain siggies go. One in particular gets me everytime. A link in your signature that goes to your password protected fotki that I need to be a paid member of your personal website to get the password. :nono:

FAMUDva

My only question is why are people choosing to ignore the siggy picture size rule? That is so annoying that I have to turn siggies off and when I want to see someone's siggy I have to go click, etc... I'm just hoping the signature rule re: pictures will be enforced... please :look:

sleepflower

re: the images in siggies, what is 1/4th of the screen size on one monitor can be more or less on another's monitor. It is also possible to make a small image that is still huge in size in terms of bytes. Why not say your signature cannot be over x pixels wide and y pixels high and x bytes in size?

re: the personal blogs. Well...that one makes no sense. It takes away from the sense of community, and it punishes those who have blogs without ads on them. Talk about adults--the entire group being punished for the actions of a few should have stopped in high school.

But whatever. Rules are rules. :rolleyes:

LiberianGirl

My only question is why are people choosing to ignore the siggy picture size rule? That is so annoying that I have to turn siggies off and when I want to see someone's siggy I have to go click, etc... I'm just hoping the signature rule re: pictures will be enforced... please :look:

My question too??? It's especially annoying when another poster takes the time to resize their signature and they still have the same ginormous siggy pic up.:perplexed:spinning:

Fhrizzball

I'm gonna miss the blogs...

Possibly just as much as Prince. Now he's gonna walk away for real this time.

firecracker

They are talking about links in sigs, not in messages. You link to your YouTube site in your sig, then you are advertising because those sites are often designed to make money. The same with a "blog." In your sig, you are using this board to recruit customers.
So some folks think its kinda like the hairdresser across the street waltzing into the salon next door giving out flyers for her services. :lachen:

JustKiya

My question too??? It's especially annoying when another poster takes the time to resize their signature and they still have the same ginormous siggy pic up.:perplexed:spinning:

:lachen: Images are often cached on your local server. You might have to force an image reload by hitting F5 before you see the resized images. :look: :lachen:

dimopoulos

Crazy Greek
Staff member
Then why not track the blogs too? You said you can track fotkis, but obviously you can't track everything.

The point I'm making is fotkis can be just as "bad" as monetized blogs (and some blogs aren't monetized at all), so I don't think it follows to allow one and not the other.

But this isn't my site, just my opinion. Rules are rules.

And your opinion is valued especially since your query is most probably shared by others. Thank you in advance for bringing this forward.

The question you need to ask is the following:

1. If we enforce the rule in the full extent i.e. nothing is allowed - we are sentencing the community to death since not allowing links to other content will remove the value of this forum. This community is all about information sharing and not being allowed to say 'hey look here what I found' will simply remove the value of this forum.

2. If we don't enforce the rules, then someone paying the subscription fee (and we have seen that time and time again especially in the last couple of months) will come over and put the link of their business in their signature, post a couple of messages in the public forums and they will be on their way. What this does is it lets search engines know that the target site has many sites that link to - even if the site itself has nothing to do with long hair. In addition the owner of that site will get some traffic to it from us which is not right. Finally some members have started their own forums trying to get traffic from us to them, social networks, blogs or stores etc. with the sole interest of making money out of it. This is as is going into Starbucks with your own coffee and trying to sell it to the people that come in...

So what is the balance? I believe that it is common sense. Most people will not try to take advantage of this site and its traffic so as to monetize from it. Some will though. The Fotki links were left since we had them since the beginning. I am not going to go in everyone's fotki and see if they advertise thus wasting a lot of my time doing so. What I wrote earlier is that we CAN track everyone's clicks on fotki albums etc. We do not do that yet but if we need to we will. In that case yes you are right we could allow personal blogs since we will be able to track the clicks on those.

What we can do is tell people that you can have a blog here. Post anything you want here why bother with blogs in blogpost or wordpress? Again you can also have your whole hair journey in our photo albums. There is no space restriction and you all have as many albums as you want. Granted it might not be as glamorous as fotki and it might miss some of the features but it is still there.

So why don't we do that? We are not nazis here. We want you all to enjoy yourselves and therefore we allow a lot more than other sites do. We want you all to come here because you want to not because you have to.

The recent bans have been implemented to members that were blatantly advertising i.e. get cash now, fill surveys, join my site, buy my products, visit my ebay.... you get the picture.

The scripts that have been run against your profiles either banned members that had ads in them or deleted the signatures because they were too big. If you look at the history of the forum you will see that the signature issue is a yearly thing.

dimopoulos

Crazy Greek
Staff member
I'm not really understanding this. Doesn't a site like CNN.com gets money based on the number of people who view it and they also have advertisement right on there website?

And with signatures, isn't the amount of space taken up by a signature (1/4 of browser that's being allowed) dependent on the size of your computer screen to a certain extent?

I will say that I'm glad to see certain siggies go. One in particular gets me everytime. A link in your signature that goes to your password protected fotki that I need to be a paid member of your personal website to get the password. :nono:

Again it is the balance between restricting all links or not. Yes CNN probably gets some money if the person that read the article clicks on the ads that are displayed in CNN's page.

With signatures I have a really high resolution so no matter what any of you have you are probably the same or less than mine. 1/4th of the screen is quite big but I will try to get this in pixels if that helps.

Thanks for the suggestion

dimopoulos

Crazy Greek
Staff member

I have had the same question over the past 5 years and every year I ask it again.

One solution that we are investigating is to make the profiles moderated. So anyone that wants to make a signature change we will have to approve it. This will increase our workload significantly but it will be the only way to ensure that nobody abuses the signature field.

What people don't understand is that having the signature is a privilege and you should not abuse it.

I have started recording who has had a huge signature or not i.e. the ones that were deleted. I guess I will have to go through those records to find the repeat offenders and just not allow them to have signatures any more.

dimopoulos

Crazy Greek
Staff member
Dimopoulos, Can We still post individual Youtube videos of whatever?

Not in your signature. You can have it in any post in the forum as information sharing.

We will be upgrading the forum quite soon and the new version has a lot more social networking features. I will need to check if there is a special youtube field that you can link to. Stay tuned for this.