ALICIA KEYS N***ER Hairstyle - What the???

Hi OP! just my two cents, I would prolly do a wet set and maybe brush a pomade through to slick it over to the side...gel is probably too wet and will wave it back up, but a pomade is thicker and not as wet, but will give you shine and smooth it down... and you wouldn't have to use direct heat to straighten... hth!

Thank you sooo much songbird8

I think I'd like the waves, actually. I'll try it today, and if it goes well, I'll redo it on Saturday.

Thanks again!

I clicked and it says fluffy hair. I'm not sure what happened...

As far as the style.... I can't cornrow for heck. I do like it somewhat... I think I'd prefer a sexy side bun in lieu of a ponytail. My hair shrinks like nobody's business so a short wild pony might not be my best look. But OP I'd imagine you could flexi-rod it, do a braid/twist out, or use those wave/krimp rollers to get that (or a similar) look.

Iluvsmuhgrass
See below:

I think it's the same as the controversy over "n*gger brown couch" and "n*gger brown pants". Some foreign websites use a janky translator that translates black as n*gger. I'm not even offended by this one cuz most of the descriptions don't even make sense. Describing braids as perms, pictures where she has a braid described as a side bun etc.

Too much real racism going on these days to waste time on faulty chinese translators :nono:.

eta @sipp100 they haven't changed anything she should've scrolled down one more. Tbh, I doubt if they will change it, I doubt there are any English speakers to log you complaints.

@sipp100... i stretch my sets by waiting until they are 1/2 done (sitting under hood dryer or air dry) and then using a blowdryer with a diffuser (the little pointy one) pointed down wards on cool while pulling the hair... if that make sense. it smooths the cuticle so u get a bit more hang with the poof in the ponytail if that makes sense :lol:

Eta: That pic you posted is gorgeous. it looks like what you're trying to do just less kinky

I emailed those people, that was ridiculous. I am sure who ever the administrator is knew about that. The photo was in flickr since '07 so I'm sure they know. Guess that is the whole point.

I just clicked, and it still says ******. You're looking at the wrong pic. It's the one with the micro braids.

Anyway, you'll drive yourself CRAZY worrying about this.

I clicked and it says fluffy hair. I'm not sure what happened...

As far as the style.... I can't cornrow for heck. I do like it somewhat... I think I'd prefer a sexy side bun in lieu of a ponytail. My hair shrinks like nobody's business so a short wild pony might not be my best look. But OP I'd imagine you could flexi-rod it, do a braid/twist out, or use those wave/krimp rollers to get that (or a similar) look.

Last edited:
I think doing the ponytail while your hair is still wet will give you the sleekest look. At least that's what works for me. Wet hair and some sort of styling product, gel or butter or some mixture and a tight pony usually stays super sleek after it's dried. You probably don't HAVE to sit under a dryer, but I imagine setting it that way would be better and then some sort of braidout on the loose ponytail would give you the look you're trying to achieve.

Make sure to take pics and let us know how you did it.

She looks absolutely stunning here, someday I will have this entire look.

alicia-bun-hairstyle.jpg

I think doing the ponytail while your hair is still wet will give you the sleekest look. At least that's what works for me. Wet hair and some sort of styling product, gel or butter or some mixture and a tight pony usually stays super sleek after it's dried. You probably don't HAVE to sit under a dryer, but I imagine setting it that way would be better and then some sort of braidout on the loose ponytail would give you the look you're trying to achieve.

Make sure to take pics and let us know how you did it.
^^^That's what I was going to suggest. I always tie a silk scarf my head to help with any uniformity of wave pattern or tame fly aways. :yep:

That was slightly shocking and out of place. But to them it might not be intentional racism, the Chinese use the word "*****hh" as a filler word just as we would use "umm" or "well". Its actually 'Nei Ge' but that's exactly what it sounds like.

Last edited:
I emailed those people, that was ridiculous. I am sure who ever the administrator is knew about that. The photo was in flickr since '07 so I'm sure they know. Guess that is the whole point.
I got a reply from them,
[FONT=verdana,sans-serif]"Hello Sheena,[/FONT][FONT=verdana,sans-serif]
[/FONT]
[FONT=verdana,sans-serif]Thank you for your email.[/FONT]
[FONT=verdana,sans-serif]
[/FONT]
[FONT=verdana,sans-serif]I'm really sorry from the end of our editorial team that they ignored such a title in one of our article. I completely understand the word was wrongly used there and yes we never meant to hurt anyone's sentiments or to offend them.[/FONT]
[FONT=verdana,sans-serif]
[/FONT]
[FONT=verdana,sans-serif]The title has been replaced immediately and sorry for all the trouble and inconvenience that might have been caused due to this. Thank you for your support, appreciate it. If anything, please let me know. Good day.[/FONT]

--
Cheers!
Bhanu Ahluwalia
http://slodive.com/"

now the name of it is
"Individual Braids With Curled Ends"

cleardot.gif

DayDreamist said:
I got a reply from them,
"Hello Sheena,

Thank you for your email.

I'm really sorry from the end of our editorial team that they ignored such a title in one of our article. I completely understand the word was wrongly used there and yes we never meant to hurt anyone's sentiments or to offend them.

The title has been replaced immediately and sorry for all the trouble and inconvenience that might have been caused due to this. Thank you for your support, appreciate it. If anything, please let me know. Good day.

--
Cheers!
Bhanu Ahluwalia
http://slodive.com/"

now the name of it is
"Individual Braids With Curled Ends"

I got the same email! At least they listened!

diadall said:
So that's it huh?

Why does that apology not seem good enough?

What else do you want? What else could they possibly do? As long as the word is gone off the site and they apologized, I'm good.

LaidBak said:
What else do you want? What else could they possibly do? As long as the word is gone off the site and they apologized, I'm good.

Nothing.

I have no idea if anyone was reprimanded, how they will ensure it won't happen again.

I work in crisis comm. I have a certificate in crisis management so I expect different.

Case closed then.

sipp100

To replicate that hairstyle, I would do a twist out or a twist n curl. Once it's dry I would take the twists down and stretch with fingers and fluff really good. Get it nice and big. You can also stretch out the roots with a blow dryer with the noozle ie..Miss Jessie's method. They have videos on their site.

After it's big and fluffy, swoop the hair to one side (use a good molding pomade or gel) and make a loose side pony or you can use hair pins to hold it. Then tie the perimeter of your hair down with a scarf leaving the length of the pony out. Do the twist set the night before. Create the pony before you get dressed and start your makeup etc. When remove the scarf the hair (in the pony)should be molded down and sleek. Fluff out the length again to your liking.

I have a side swept style in my fotki from a few years back. It's a similar style.

HTH

Last edited:
I'm glad it's gone. You ladies are great. You see we have a voice, when we speak up people listen.

Back