Air-drying with relaxed hair?

Glib Gurl

A lot of folks here have suggested that I cut out blow drying in order to grow my hair. I'm just wondering, though, if relaxed ladies find that blow drying helps keep their relaxed hair straighter for longer (i.e., does it help with stretching)?

When I airdry, I airdry it in a set (twist-out or braid-out) I do this alot when my new growth is getting out of control and I'm tempted to touch-up but want to stretch. So to answer your question about stretching, yes it does help, as well as give a break from heat that'll weaken strands and cause splits done excessively.

I do this also.

SvelteVelvet said:
When I airdry, I airdry it in a set (twist-out or braid-out) I do this alot when my new growth is getting out of control and I'm tempted to touch-up but want to stretch. So to answer your question about stretching, yes it does help, as well as give a break from heat that'll weaken strands and cause splits done excessively.

Alot of people are using Silver2's scarf method (I think that is her Screenname)

I don't blowdry. I have done it maybe twice in the last year, and I end up getting smoother hair from airdrying under a scarf:ohwell:

I do remember that some ladies: when their hair is partially dired: the blow out their roots to make it straighter: and using a heat protectant product: when they flat iron their hair: not only does their new growth is more straighter but it has a fresh shine to it (a relaxed look) no matter how long the stretch. HTH

I wish you much success with air-drying. My hair never could get the hang of it.:( Air-drying would make it shed and break something terrible. But if it doesnt work, remember that you can always use indirect heat (hooded dryer) to dry your hair, too. Let us know how it turns out for ya.:)

Glib Gurl said:
A lot of folks here have suggested that I cut out blow drying in order to grow my hair. I'm just wondering, though, if relaxed ladies find that blow drying helps keep their relaxed hair straighter for longer (i.e., does it help with stretching)?

Did you mean airdrying?

I find that my hair does not respond well to excessive heat (blowdrying, curling/flat ironing).

I've also realized that my blowdry technique leaves much to be desired and will probably lead to increased breakage/shedding so I've stopped..for now. :perplexed

That being said airdrying has been my lifesaver. I usually do it for my rollersets, twist/braidouts. I also use a soft bonnet dryer with no adverse effects.

Airdrying and rollersets definitely help me stretch and are my fav' semi protective style ince I don't bun or baggy.

I have been air drying for a few months now & it has made a DRASTIC difference in the condition of my hair!

Any heat threatens to dry the hair out. And with chemicals in my hair (I was relaxing, coloring, blowdrying & heat tooling), my hair was FRIED!!

Now with AIR DRYING,combined with other changes in my regime, has my hair is MUCH HEALTHIER than before!!!

And airdrying doesn't effect the length of stretching btwn my relaxers, nor does it effect the straightness of my relaxer, just reduces the stress heat can put on my hair.

HTH

I believe the trick for me, when air trying, is to make sure I gently comb my hair as straight as possible...from root to end. I use Infusium 23 leave in and a serum, to make my hair soft and tangle free, that way I can get the comb through it. You know, similair to how a beautician combs the hair completely straight before putting you under a dryer.

Once I am done combing it straight I put it in a ponytail and go about my business. My hair feels softer and healthier whenever I let it dry naturally.

I hate using heat in my hair, I would say that air drying is the best option. I wear a lot of protative hair styles, so I never really like to have straight hair. Braid/Twist outs are a daily for me.

Back