AHhhhh! My hair and my... hormones!!!???!!!

melodee

I have been really shedding AND breaking lately. I mean alot when I wash or rinse my hair. The hair around my edges thin out, and then thicken up, just to thin out again.I'm really thinking it's hormone related, as I have been tested for certain illnesses and do not have them. My docs won't check my hormones (except thyroid-within normal levels) because I haven't skipped a period.

I get alot of hair in my comb when I wash my hair. It's been this way on and off since I gave birth to my first child. My templew went bald after giving birth, and they thickened up. But now they thin/thicken on a monthly basis. I also have had problems with hives since the birth of my second child. That's how I know somethings going on.

I take Clarinex for my allergies/skin. Does anyone have hormone related hair issues?

Last edited:

SouthernGirl

Hey Mel,

Sorry to hear you're going thru this. I have not experienced many of the things that you mentioned, but I noticed that my hair sheds a lot due to hormonal imbalances.

Always around my cycle - even ovulation, my hair sheds more than normal. This has been the case for years. If it's something like that, I would suggest washing/rinsing infrequently until you get out of the phase. If it's more problematic and occurs more frequently, I'm not sure that would work.

Taking vitamins and eating lots of protein has helped me to hang on to as much hair as I possibly could even during these shedding cycles, but I still lose a few strands here and there at "that time of the month."

Someone else on the board mentioned taking B-Complex vitamins as another way to reduce shedding, but I've never tried it.

I don't know if this helped, but I wanted to send a little encouragement your way. Hope it gets better, and keep bugging your doctors! Maybe a dermatologist could even help?

SG

melodee

I'm going to try a dermatologist. I need a new one, since my former one stopped taking my insurance. He said he got frustrated with the company. Any suggestions for a really good one.

SG, I do shed more during different times of the month. And lately, I've been feeling that I should wash less often, although my hair feels like straw or really gummy w/ products if I wait too long.

Thanks though, and good to chat with you my friend.

SouthernGirl

melodee said:
I'm going to try a dermatologist. I need a new one, since my former one stopped taking my insurance. He said he got frustrated with the company. Any suggestions for a really good one.

SG, I do shed more during different times of the month. And lately, I've been feeling that I should wash less often, although my hair feels like straw or really gummy w/ products if I wait too long.

Thanks though, and good to chat with you my friend.

Same here Sweetie! I miss you.

Ironically enough, I had a visit at my derm yesterday. I should have asked this question!

I go to Dr. Valerie Callender in Mitchellville, MD. I've only been seen by her once, and she is very good. She likes doing all first-time patients, but then you could be seen by any one of her assistants after that. I saw someone new yesterday, and I felt a bit rushed. Next time, I'm asking to meet specifically with Dr. Callender. It's a huge hike for me to go there, and it's not worth it if she's not going to meet with me personally. Just bring a list of all of your concerns, and she will help you, I'm sure.

She also takes most insurance. They also have an on-site skin treatment spa that I've never used, but apparently it is state of the art.

Good luck chica!!

SG

KAddy

Melodee have you thought about switching to a shampoo that is geared to help with shedding? I am currently having hormonal issues (temporary though) and I am going to switch to Nioxin Smoothing Reflectives Shampoo since it helps with shedding. So I am going to use this for teh next few months to help with my issues. I think the dermatologist is a great way to go, but in the meantime, maybe switching your shampoo may help.

SouthernGirl

I agree with Kaddy Mel. Try that route first. Besides, I had to wait over a month to get an appointment there.

Nioxin makes a great line of products.

Hope to see you soon too!
SG

melodee

Will do ladies!

I got my hair done today at the domincan salon and I had to force myself to look away as she was combing my hair out after the shampoo. She had a comb-full of hair.

Once it was dry, it was fine.

When my hair is wet, it's atrocious.

I still want to go get a physical, and see a derm. I will look into your dr., SG.
I wish there was a doctor who tested hormone balance, though. I've got other symptoms which make me think it is the hormones. Can't discuss them all in this forum, though.

melodee

Taken from womenlivingnaturally.com:

The symptoms associated with Estrogen Dominance are:

• Acceleration of the aging process
  • Allergies, including asthma, hives, rashes, sinus congestion
  • Autoimmune disorders such as lupus erythematosis, thyroiditis,and Sjoegren's
  • Breast cancer
  • Breast tenderness
  • Cervical dysplasia
  • Cold hands and feet as a symptom of thyroid dysfunction
  • Copper excess
  • Decreased sex drive
  • Depression with anxiety or agitation
  • Dry eyes
  • Early onset of menstruation
  • Endometrial (uterine) cancer
  • Fat gain, especially around the abdomen, hips and thighs
  • Fatigue
  • Fibrocystic breasts
  • Foggy thinking
  • Gallbladder disease
  • Hair Loss
  • Headaches
  • Hypoglycemia
  • Increased blood clotting (increasing risk of strokes)
  • Infertility
  • Irregular menstrual periods
  • Irritability
  • Insomnia
  • Magnesium deficiency
  • Memory loss
  • Mood swings
  • Osteoporosis
  • Polycystic ovaries
  • Premenopausal bone loss
  • PMS
  • Sluggish metabolism
  • Thyroid dysfunction mimicking hypothyroidism
  • Uterine cancer
  • Uterine fibroids
  • Water retention & bloating
  • Zinc deficiency
I've bolded the symptoms I have.

Whisper

Very very sorry to hear that you are going though this period. :(
I too am going through some rather strange hormonal changes.. I was checking to see if heavy -and I mean heavy menstrual bleeding was one of them. Some of your symptoms I pretty much have too.
I recently took my hair out of my weave, and found many broken hairs (scattered throughout my crown) :mad: and I can't for the life of me figure out where it came from. I wear weaves once or twice a year and I've never had breakage.
After that and the recent heavy menstruation, I am going to have to have this checked as well. Try to remain encouraged! :)

Last edited:

meia

im very sorry also to hear about that...ummm i remember reading and hearing that a lot of women (usually of minority decent) do tend to lose A LOT of hair after giving birth as their hormones are trying to adjust back to the way things used to be..

imagine this..the whole 9 months of pregnancy your body is continually changing and developing for the oncoming of your child and so your childs needs can be met nutritionally while inside your womb..so your body must change..

after pregnancy its trying to readjust so having hair loss is significant but definitely not unheard of...my recommendation? try to maintain a healthy diet with excercise, take a daily multivitamin to up your bodys immune system and so the nutrients can find their way back into your body...no more processing or coloring of any type..just use a minimal of products until things appear to get back to normal..i found some articles for you i hope will be of help and will greater explain things..
GOOD LUCK!!
<3meia

http://www.motherhood.com.sg/articles/healthyliving/20000207/00120161840/00120161840_1.asp
Losing Hair After Baby's Birth?
If you are looking forward to bad hair days being a thing of the past when baby arrives, you may be a little disappointed. Postpartum hair loss is an often overlooked "side-effect" of pregnancy that sees more than 50 per cent of new mothers anxiously inspecting their combs and brushes for excessive fallout.

Hair loss after pregnancy can be caused by fluctuations in hormonal levels and stress. No matter how smoothly your birth and postpartum
experience unfolds, there is always a transition period as your family adjusts to the newest member.

Routines change and babies demand much of your time during the first months. Combine this stress with a huge drop in your hormonal levels as your body races to resume its pre-pregnancy state, and a certain amount of hair loss can only be expected.

Remember the hair that had a longer growth phase during your pregnancy? Now is the time for it to fall out! Many women are afraid they will go bald when they lose copious amounts of hair after baby’s birth. Sometimes this hair loss can go on for many months and the hair becomes alarmingly thin.

There is something a little frightening about having to remove great handfuls of hair from the plughole after your shower! But fear not; postpartum hair loss is temporary. Remind yourself that as each hair falls out, new hair starts to grow.
--------
http://www.babycenter.com/refcap/baby/physrecovery/11721.html
Postpartum: Hair loss
Approved by the BabyCenter Medical Advisory Board
• I had my baby three months ago, and now my hair is starting to fall out. Is this normal?
• What can I do about it?

I had my baby three months ago, and now my hair is starting to fall out. Is this normal?
Many new moms are surprised to find themselves shedding more hair than usual sometime in the first few months after giving birth, but it's perfectly normal. And there's no need to panic. You won't go bald. In fact, your hair should be back to normal by your baby's first birthday.

Here's what's going on. Normally, about 85 to 95 percent of the hair on your head is growing and the other 5 to 15 percent is in a resting stage. After the resting period, this hair falls out (often while you're brushing or shampooing your hair) and is replaced by new growth. The average woman sheds about 100 hairs a day.

During pregnancy, increased levels of estrogen prolong the growing stage so there are fewer hairs in the resting stage and fewer falling out each day, so you have thicker, more luxuriant tresses. But after you give birth, your estrogen levels take a tumble and a lot more hair follicles enter the resting stage — and that means more hair coming out in the shower or on the brush. This unusual shedding will taper off and your hair will be back to its pre-pregnancy thickness about six to 12 months after you give birth.

By the way, not all women notice dramatic changes in their hair during pregnancy or the postpartum period. Among those who do, it tends to be more obvious among women with longer locks.

What can I do about it?
You won't be able to stop the hair from falling out, but you can experiment with different hairstyles or hair products (such as hair thickeners or mousse) to give it a fuller look during this transition period. Many moms, tired of scooping hair out of shower drains or sweeping up clumps of long hair, find that this is a good time to go for a short cut. Plus, a short, wash-and-go hairstyle is easier to take care of when you have a new baby in the house and you're strapped for time.

mizbizzyb

melodee said:
Taken from womenlivingnaturally.com:

The symptoms associated with Estrogen Dominance are:

• Acceleration of the aging process
  • Allergies, including asthma, hives, rashes, sinus congestion
  • Autoimmune disorders such as lupus erythematosis, thyroiditis,and Sjoegren's
  • Breast cancer
  • Breast tenderness
  • Cervical dysplasia
  • Cold hands and feet as a symptom of thyroid dysfunction
  • Copper excess
  • Decreased sex drive
  • Depression with anxiety or agitation
  • Dry eyes
  • Early onset of menstruation
  • Endometrial (uterine) cancer
  • Fat gain, especially around the abdomen, hips and thighs
  • Fatigue
  • Fibrocystic breasts
  • Foggy thinking
  • Gallbladder disease
  • Hair Loss
  • Headaches
  • Hypoglycemia
  • Increased blood clotting (increasing risk of strokes)
  • Infertility
  • Irregular menstrual periods
  • Irritability
  • Insomnia
  • Magnesium deficiency
  • Memory loss
  • Mood swings
  • Osteoporosis
  • Polycystic ovaries
  • Premenopausal bone loss
  • PMS
  • Sluggish metabolism
  • Thyroid dysfunction mimicking hypothyroidism
  • Uterine cancer
  • Uterine fibroids
  • Water retention & bloating
  • Zinc deficiency
I've bolded the symptoms I have.

Maybe I need to look into this, I have several of these symptoms

KAddy

melodee said:
Will do ladies!

I got my hair done today at the domincan salon and I had to force myself to look away as she was combing my hair out after the shampoo. She had a comb-full of hair.

Once it was dry, it was fine.

When my hair is wet, it's atrocious.

I still want to go get a physical, and see a derm. I will look into your dr., SG.
I wish there was a doctor who tested hormone balance, though. I've got other symptoms which make me think it is the hormones. Can't discuss them all in this forum, though.

This is EXACTLY my issue too Mel. When my hair is wet there is hair every where, once it is dry, not as much hair every where. I am looking into the Nioxin because it is safe for me to use now and is recommended in a few of my magazines for use to help with the shedding.