MY Hair versus Hormones Update (Long)

trinidarkie1

Basics: I am struggling with taking BC pills for being Polycystic and it stunts my hair growth.

I began my fight against hair loss, thinness and lack of growth a few years go when I first joined LHCF.
I did some of everything. It's grown back since my cut of March 2004, but it has been shoulder length for the last year or so.
I have not been able to retain length, my ends keep coming out in my hands and my hair is brittle. I did the baggies, I wore the wigs etc. But I still can't get length.

Quite by chance I wasn't able to continue taking Birthcontrol (Nortel777) for about three months this year.
And Whoa! My hair grew more than it has and faster than it has within the last three years. I was blown away.

I have PCOS, so the birth control is meant to regulate my period among other things. The sad thing is, with the hair growth that takes place while not taking the birth control; EVERYTHING else grows. My arms are hairier, my legs, the re-growth is something else. MY eyebows even grow faster.

At my doctor's visit last night, I spoke to her about the problems.
I would rather have hair growth. Selfish and vain? I know, but I enjoyed being able to HAVE to do a touch up in 6 weeks because my hair was that unruly etc. My hair felt beautiful.

She gave me some advice: (Most of which I already knew from being on LHCF).
She suggested Hair Herbs and Supplements
Biotin 3000- 5000 mg per day.
Saw Palmetto 300mg 2x per day
Horsetail 500mg 2x per day

She also said the Biotin and the Horsetail are most important.
So I whipped out my Ginseng Gro and showed her. That contains 333mg of Horsetail and the directions are take 2-3 a day, 1 after each meal. So I get about 999mg which is just about there with what she said.
I'm going to get the Biotin.

She also suggested I do a search no Andrew Lessman, he is on the Home Shopping Network and his hair herbs contain everything that I would need for hair growth.
The question however, is that she cannot guarantee that the supplements will counteract the birth control and vice versa. I don't want to spend a mint taking these supplements and not have any growth.

Are there any other ladies struggling with similar issues?

lnhair

Maybe it is the brand of birth control pill and you can try a different one. Ask your doctor if there is a different pill that could work for you. My doctor has changed my pill several different times, and the benefits to some pills and drawbacks others are all different. This is just a suggestion.

trinidarkie1

I have tried several ones, she didn't have any suggestions about using something else. Since I have been using this before, she suggested that this be the best one to keep using.

I'm considering going to the herbalist and get a blood work up done and hear what they can suggest.

Lilith's Lioness

It's a struggle for women for PCOS, we have all the hair issues! Slow growth, easy breakage, we're at risk for male-pattern baldness...you name it. But there are things you can do. I'd say your doctor is on the right track with the vitamin recommendation, however, unless there's a specific reason you're on birth control pills, ie. you're sexually active and not interested in having children right now, then you need to consider other treatment options. Some women with PCOS hate it because of the gastric side effects (which aren't much different from the side-effects of the alli weight-loss system), but metformin/glucophage is really the best option to regulate your hormones and ensure regular menses. Prescribing birth control pills not the best practice when it comes to PCOS (and really it's a little outdated). Check out the SoulCysters forum as well for addititional tips. Your next step should be seeing a nutritionist or dietician who has worked with patients with PCOS. There's a lot you can do with proper diet and exercise to manage this condition. Omega 6 and 3 supplements should be added to your diet. Chromium piccolinate also helps many cysters, as does a B vitamin regimen (which will also help your hair!). Remember that being polycystic puts you at higher risk for obesity, diabetes and heart disease, so it's important to get your health on track. Your hair will follow as you get healthier and eat more of the things needed to manage the PCOS.

Hang in there, it'll all come together.
~ Lils

Lilith's Lioness

One more thing...talk to your doctor about Aldactone/spirinolactone (sp?) for the hair growth in places you don't want. My guess is that she has you on the bc pills to combat the excess male hormones your body is producing, and that they're the culprits behind the unwanted hair. Aldactone is an anti-androgen, that'll help control the male hormones causing those problems.

You might also want to hit the local library for a copy of A Patient's Guide to PCOS by Walter Futterweit, which came out last year. There's some good info in there.

trinidarkie1

Lilith,
there's a specific reason you're on birth control pills, ie. you're sexually active and not interested in having children right now
That's the reason why I am on birth control. I am not interested in the other forms available like the NuvaRing and an IUD.

Remember that being polycystic puts you at higher risk for obesity, diabetes and heart disease, so it's important to get your health on track. Your hair will follow as you get healthier and eat more of the things needed to manage the PCOS

Obesity is an issue. Weight gain has been tremendous so I am on a serious health surge now trying to lose weight and be healthier.
We spoke about Glucofage but for different reasons. I am taking a prescription weight loss medication that she would like me to discontinue and suggested that Glucofage will help with the PCOS, and will also assist me in losing weight.

One more thing...talk to your doctor about Aldactone/spirinolactone (sp?) for the hair growth in places you don't want. My guess is that she has you on the bc pills to combat the excess male hormones your body is producing, and that they're the culprits behind the unwanted hair. Aldactone is an anti-androgen, that'll help control the male hormones causing those problems

I will call her to find out about that.
There is a clinic/health store near Philly; they perform blood work assessments for $50. Supposedly they'd be able to tell you the best things that your body would need to achieve optimum health.

Lilith's Lioness

Eh...skip the health food store and go see a dietician. An R.D. will be able to tell you the same things and will be covered by your insurance. And yes the metformin will help with weight loss. It'll kick up your metabolism and help you process food better. The Chromium will also help with the weight loss and metabolism. For the most part, we do best with "Mediterranean" diets (heavy heavy heavy on the fish and veggies, fruits and nuts), a good dietician/nutritionist can guide you along the best diet plan for you to help you lose weight and show you how to select the vitamins and supplements to give you the optimum benefits in meeting your health goals. My dad sees one at HUP for his diabetes who's good. I'll ask him about it and PM you when I have the name.

You might also want to see a good stylist about a hair and scalp assessment. My hair has really benefitted from the steam conditioning treatments at Brownstone Studio (I love that salon! But I don't know if they work with relaxed hair so much, so that might not be the best option for you). It's much stronger now, and soaks up my at home treatments much better than before.

LondonDiva

I suffered with PCOS for about 6 years 1 maybe 2 periods a year if I was lucky. I looked at what I was eating a lot of and swicthed it up. My LH and FH hormones were backwards in terms of ratio. But they didn't know what caused it.

Mainly dairy and animal by products I was consuming a lot of. Eggs especially (4 a day) for hair growth.

I switched eggs, milk, cheese, chicken, meats all to organic ( I personally believe the hormones in cows and chickens, which pass down in the food chain have an effect on our own hormones) and started drinking cerassie tea once a month. That's all i did and this year I've had a period every 35-40 days since January. There was a thread on it I'll see if I can dig it up if you're interested. I advsied another member and I think it worked for her. Bare in mind I'm no doctor. I just got so tired and upset of being fobbed off and thinking about something so small i.e. diet, and switching it up worked wonders for me.

I refused to go on the pill, I didn't want synthetic hormones regulating my cycle, plus that a cop out for doctors to deal with the root of the problem. And being 22 at the time and kids not being a option for me as I wasn't trying to get pregnant, they kind of shooed me away and said well when you're ready to have children IVF may be an option. I thought F*** that. Just very dismissive and not helpful at all.

crazydaze911

:lachen:
Basics: I am struggling with taking BC pills for being Polycystic and it stunts my hair growth.

I began my fight against hair loss, thinness and lack of growth a few years go when I first joined LHCF.
I did some of everything. It's grown back since my cut of March 2004, but it has been shoulder length for the last year or so.
I have not been able to retain length, my ends keep coming out in my hands and my hair is brittle. I did the baggies, I wore the wigs etc. But I still can't get length.

Quite by chance I wasn't able to continue taking Birthcontrol (Nortel777) for about three months this year.
And Whoa! My hair grew more than it has and faster than it has within the last three years. I was blown away.

I have PCOS, so the birth control is meant to regulate my period among other things. The sad thing is, with the hair growth that takes place while not taking the birth control; EVERYTHING else grows. My arms are hairier, my legs, the re-growth is something else. MY eyebows even grow faster.

At my doctor's visit last night, I spoke to her about the problems.
I would rather have hair growth. Selfish and vain? I know, but I enjoyed being able to HAVE to do a touch up in 6 weeks because my hair was that unruly etc. My hair felt beautiful.

She gave me some advice: (Most of which I already knew from being on LHCF).
She suggested Hair Herbs and Supplements
Biotin 3000- 5000 mg per day.
Saw Palmetto 300mg 2x per day
Horsetail 500mg 2x per day

She also said the Biotin and the Horsetail are most important.
So I whipped out my Ginseng Gro and showed her. That contains 333mg of Horsetail and the directions are take 2-3 a day, 1 after each meal. So I get about 999mg which is just about there with what she said.
I'm going to get the Biotin.

She also suggested I do a search no Andrew Lessman, he is on the Home Shopping Network and his hair herbs contain everything that I would need for hair growth.
The question however, is that she cannot guarantee that the supplements will counteract the birth control and vice versa. I don't want to spend a mint taking these supplements and not have any growth.

Are there any other ladies struggling with similar issues?

How were you diagnosed?
Also - i've been on BC for 10 years for the 'regular' reason and my hair growth is sooooooooooooooooooo slow, so now you have me thinking.....
I dont want the ring or an UID either - heard BAD STORIES about side effects, etc - so what do i do????? Abstenance is not an option - i live with my fiancee :lachen:
If this is too personal, and anyone has private thoughts, please PM me - thanks!

Lilith's Lioness

I know a couple doctors at HUP. I am going to call them and get a free consult :lol:

Definitely do that! :grin: Save that $50 for a "me" treat at the BSS!!

In the mean time though, you can check this RD out, she gets good reviews at Soulcysters...

Ms Angela Grassi
Credentials: MS, RD, LDN
Specialty: Dietician
Services Offered: Nutrition counseling for individuals with PCOS and eating disorders

PCOS Nutrition
551 West Lancaster Avenue
Suite 305
Haverford, PA 19041
Phone: (484) 252-9028
Fax: (610) 527-9004
[email protected]

http://www.PCOSnutrition.com

trinidarkie1

crazydaze911, I was diagnosed with PCOS in 2004. I started looking like Wolverine's sister, and my husband then bf, was like.. ahmn hunny, you are like ahmmn, really hairy. It's like I woke up one morning and my face was just HAIRY! :lachen:My sideburns were like Elvis.

I went to a doctor on City Line Avenue. He did some blood work and he acted all weirded out about my results. Then we spoke about PCOS and he put me on one type of birth control.
Around that time a few things were going on, so I ended up switching to another Clinic and they told me the same thing and put me on the one I am on now.

I spoke with my Doctor friend on Friday night. She's a pediatrician, although she prescribes birth control to her older patients; she isn't knowledgeable about PCOS per se and what the dosage and hormone levels need to be to counteract.
She did suggest, I ask about Yasmin instead of what I am using now.
She also said she'd ask around, to find out what the best course of action would be, but to call my GYN and talk to her about my concerns.
We also talked about the supplements; she's not a big believer in them, but agreed that they are 'supposed' to assist in hair growth etc.

So today I will be calling my doctor again to see if I can speak with her about prescribing something else. I have my re-fill, which I was supposed to start taking yesterday, but I'm very hesitant.

Listen to my husband's theory: Well you were off of BC for three months and didn't get pregnant, so what's the big deal.:grin:

Oh please, he wants me to have a baby like crazy. No way am I falling in that trap.

So Crazydaze911, you may want to find other alternatives of contraception. I am currently looking at other options as well.
I definitely understand.

trinidarkie1

Definitely do that! :grin: Save that $50 for a "me" treat at the BSS!!

In the mean time though, you can check this RD out, she gets good reviews at Soulcysters...

Ms Angela Grassi
Credentials: MS, RD, LDN
Specialty: Dietician
Services Offered: Nutrition counseling for individuals with PCOS and eating disorders

PCOS Nutrition
551 West Lancaster Avenue
Suite 305
Haverford, PA 19041
Phone: (484) 252-9028
Fax: (610) 527-9004
[email protected]

[URL="http://www.PCOSnutrition.com"]http://www.PCOSnutrition.com[/URL]

Thanks a Lot!!
I'll have to make a trip to see her. I'll call her today and see if I can make an appointment.

candiel

I suffered with PCOS for about 6 years 1 maybe 2 periods a year if I was lucky. I looked at what I was eating a lot of and swicthed it up. My LH and FH hormones were backwards in terms of ratio. But they didn't know what caused it.

Mainly dairy and animal by products I was consuming a lot of. Eggs especially (4 a day) for hair growth.

I switched eggs, milk, cheese, chicken, meats all to organic ( I personally believe the hormones in cows and chickens, which pass down in the food chain have an effect on our own hormones) and started drinking cerassie tea once a month. That's all i did and this year I've had a period every 35-40 days since January. There was a thread on it I'll see if I can dig it up if you're interested. I advsied another member and I think it worked for her. Bare in mind I'm no doctor. I just got so tired and upset of being fobbed off and thinking about something so small i.e. diet, and switching it up worked wonders for me.

I also have PCOS and I decided to change my diet also. I have little to no dairy products at all and I try to eat very little meat. Fortunately I never had any problems with my hair on my head growing. I do have a problem with it growing everywhere else though.:nono: I don't know what to do. I feel like I'm turning into a wolverine.:perplexed

I did not want to go back on the pill because I was trying to conceive at the time and I had already been on it for 5 years when I was diagnosed. My diet has helped though and the metformin that the dr. has prescribed me.

trinidarkie1

Oh die! :lachen:I am so jealous, You hair is FABULOUS!!
I'm glad that you have had no hair growth issues.

Someone else said they changed up their diet and drink Cerasse tea. That bad boy is bitter, but I will be adding a cup to my weekly routine.

I've also changed my diet, hence my weight loss. Somehow I believe if I exercise on top of all that; I would have some hair growth and more weight loss.

The Doctor's office said they'll have my GYN call me today :D

almondjoi85

Maybe it is the brand of birth control pill and you can try a different one. Ask your doctor if there is a different pill that could work for you. My doctor has changed my pill several different times, and the benefits to some pills and drawbacks others are all different. This is just a suggestion.

I was thinking the same thing... I've been on the pill for a while now and I haven't noticed any differences in my hair growth. That is very interesting though...I hope you figure something out that works for you.

trinidarkie1

My doctor called and we had a nice long chat.
She was very patient and answered all my questions.
The end result: She switched me to Yasmin for three months so we can see what the side effects are, if any.
I have this month's Nortel but I will wait to pick up my prescription tomorrow or Wednesday for Yasmin and start on those right away.

I have been taking the Biotin and the Ginseng gro.
I have noticed some break outs, but only on one side of my face. Nothing irregular yet.

We agreed that with consistent diet and exercise that I might be able to reverse the effects, considering that my recent weight loss has changed some things.

I'll see how things go with Yasmin and the supplements.

crazydaze911

My doctor called and we had a nice long chat.
She was very patient and answered all my questions.
The end result: She switched me to Yasmin for three months so we can see what the side effects are, if any.
I have this month's Nortel but I will wait to pick up my prescription tomorrow or Wednesday for Yasmin and start on those right away.

I have been taking the Biotin and the Ginseng gro.
I have noticed some break outs, but only on one side of my face. Nothing irregular yet.

We agreed that with consistent diet and exercise that I might be able to reverse the effects, considering that my recent weight loss has changed some things.

I'll see how things go with Yasmin and the supplements.

Im scared to switch. I've been on 6 different types and this is the first that didnt make me bleed 500 times a month (sorry to gross you out). I've been on it for like 7 years. Any body switched after being on the same one a very long time?