Ahhhh...Memories...

so1913

I just started thinking down memory lane about some of the products my mother used on us as kids:

Long Aid K-7 hair and scalp conditioner (grease)

Princess Kitten Shampoo, Mend Conditioner, Liv Hairdress (All Summit Brand products with Princess Kitten no longer existing)

Apex Pressing Oil (I swear it was the best pressing oil, although nothing but straight petroleum! LOL, guess it was that high quality stuff :D)

Hair So New Creme Rinse (detangler, conditioner, setting, rinse, all in one! It got sold to another company and renamed "Feels Like New"...they also changed the formula to add alchohol, yuck!)

nfynit_812

My mom (RIP) used on my head: DAX (green grease), Coconut Oil grease & a brush soaked in water; Wella Balsam Shampoo & Conditioner, Pink Lotion (original formula was the BOMB) & she would use Vigorol liquid relaxer-but it didn't completely straighten my hair, just made my hair more manageable ;) ....my hair was thick and long!!!

OnceUponAtime

Ultra Sheen (green, blue and eventually hiar food :rolleyes: ). VO5 Hairdress (a.k.a. grease). Tons of ribbons, especially yarn and grosgrain.

OnceUponAtime

nfynit_812 said:
My mom (RIP) used on my head: DAX (green grease), Coconut Oil grease & a brush soaked in water; Wella Balsam Shampoo & Conditioner, Pink Lotion (original formula was the BOMB) & she would use Vigorol liquid relaxer-but it didn't completely straighten my hair, just made my hair more manageable ;) ....my hair was thick and long!!!

Ooooooooooh, how could I forget Vigorol!

tastesosweet

My mom use to grease my scalp with Indian Sage. She swore it grew my hair. I can't find that product at all anymore.

ayoung

OH! Wow---nfynit I forgot about the wet brush! Yep, my mom used pink oil ALL the time

Onceuponatime: Memories! My mom used to intertwine yarn and ribbons in my braids and twists too!

rosalindb

My mum used to use a a petroleum based product containing Coconut Oil - cannot remember the name and also used to use Ultra Sheen

Cannot imagine ever using them again :)

Last edited:

~*~ShopAholic~*~

Tar grease, lol, I didn't think anyone else would remember this one. My mom and 'em swore this grew ya' hair. Blue magic for press days, I call it sizzle me alive grease that stuff was hot and would melt down and burn my scalp, it should have been against the law to press w/this. lol, Ribbons, and ballies, I remember the barretts too, they had little ducks and stuff on them, and those were the real barretts, them never broke or came out like the ones they sell today. I don't remeber the poo and condition she used, after awhile I went to the beauty parlor. :ohwell: Memories are good though....;)
shawniegee said:
the green ultra sheen or tar grease
She always used CON shampoo no conditioner though

dlewis

pertroleum jelly grease in the blue cardboard container and dishwashing liquid

I'm surprised at how long my hair was, oh and NO conditioner.

SilkyandSmooth

Dax! My Mom used it on my hair all the time. Maybe that's why I can't stand grease now. I also remember her using Indian Hemp and Sulfur 8....Bolitas in every color. They matched my outfit.:lol: