Aftermath of Braids - My hair is sooooo thick!

BAILEYSCREAM

I had my hair in braids from the beginning of October 2004 - mid January 2005 (about 14 weeks).
When I took out the braids I had a lot of matted hair at the back where my hair is coarser and a lot of breakage. However, I also had a lot of new growth, which seemed to make up for all the breakage.

Anyway, ever since I took out the braids my hair seems to have thickened beyond recognition. It actually feels like copper wire. Not only is it thicker at the roots but it is also slightly harder to manage and slightly dry. I expected the dryness and a little breakage since my ends have been processed with no-lye relaxer and permanent colour, but the thickness I did not bargain for at all. My hair is usually medium thickness but is now a lot thicker than it has ever been.

While my hair was in braids I sprayed Surge, Infusium 23 and Better braids on my scalp twice daily and I shampooed once per week with Creme of Nature. I took my vitamins off and on and wasn't very consistent.

I wonder if anyone else has experienced thickening of the hair like this after braids?:eek:

BAILEYSCREAM

sillygurl18 said:
I think it's so much thicker because it's unprocessed hair.

:) I've had braids before and the new growth was never this thick or coarse, ever. It's almost as though I have a new hair type. :yep:

In some ways this is good but it is quite hard to manage.

Eiano

I doubt you hair all of a sudden changed type.. lol :) Although it can feel that way, it's probably a mixture of you not feeling your hair for a while and the moisture you've been putting in it coiling up the new growth.

I've had braids in since August!!! and everytime I take them out I'm so surprised.

Angelicus

Have you rollerset your hair since you took the braids out? This was my problem too until I deep conditioned and rollerset my hair. Then i flat ironed the roots only and it came out just fine.

LABETT

I took my braids out yesterday and I had using Surge,Castor oil,African Pride Braid Spray and my hair is thicker too.
I washed it deep conditioned and flatiron and it turn out great I was proud of the growth.

BAILEYSCREAM

anky said:
Have you rollerset your hair since you took the braids out? This was my problem too until I deep conditioned and rollerset my hair. Then i flat ironed the roots only and it came out just fine.

No. I haven't. I thought about it but because the hair is so thick I was put off because I have to do it myself. Ok, I washed it today and did the ponytail and scarf method. Next time I wash it I will rollerset.:yep:

LABETT said:
I took my braids out yesterday and I had using Surge,Castor oil,African Pride Braid Spray and my hair is thicker too.
I washed it deep conditioned and flatiron and it turn out great I was proud of the growth.

I think I will go with both you and Anky's suggestion of flat ironing. I need to buy a flat iron though because I don't have one at the moment.

Thanks ladies:bouncegre

karezone

BAILEYSCREAM said:
No. I haven't. I thought about it but because the hair is so thick I was put off because I have to do it myself. Ok, I washed it today and did the ponytail and scarf method. Next time I wash it I will rollerset.:yep:

I think I will go with both you and Anky's suggestion of flat ironing. I need to buy a flat iron though because I don't have one at the moment.

Thanks ladies:bouncegre

Check the siggy