Advice: Braided hairstyles

MamitaLolita

Hi ladies;

I am preparing to go on a protective style binge. Braids (single small box braids) are one of my favorite styles but I always end up with damage - especially crown and edges. Can anyone offer me advice on how to keep my hair happy and healthy in braided styles? My hair is natural and gets very dry, but water based moisturizers ruin the style.

TIA

ikandi87

How long do u leave them in? I usually get my edges done over every 3 weeks to relieve some of the stress. I spray them with water and seal with JBCO.

MamitaLolita

How long do u leave them in? I usually get my edges done over every 3 weeks to relieve some of the stress. I spray them with water and seal with JBCO.

Last time I left them in for two months before I had to take them out. They had slid too far from conditioning and were starting to twist, which ripped out my natural hair.

MiamiChic

Low manipulation is one way. Avoid too many ponytails & updos. I have sensitive edges so when i have briads/twists/locs, & want a ponytail, i twist the front. This avoids you trying to pull your hair constantly its just a section of its own.

Also, you should invest in a spray bottle & create your own concoction to moisturize your braids. After doing so, you should put your hair in braids to avoid frizz & preserve the style.

1BalancedBeauty

I would say keeping your hair moisturized with an herbal braid spray would be good (African Pride makes one that's petroleum free) as well as rebraiding the hairline every few weeks to keep any braid extensions looking fresh and free of excessive buildup. I also would avoid pulling braid extensions back into a ponytail or even wearing them half up as much as possible.

Breakage does happen though. Sometimes it's just the weight of the hair or the actual tightness of the braid that causes it.