Addicted to frequent trimming (no trimming challenge)

That's gr8 news! I'm glad you are still going strong...I've been doing good as well but I am noticing splits! I hate when I get them...my hair for some reason gets splits easily.

Sent from my iPad using LHCF

I like do low manipulation styles, I stay in curls . I also use moisturize and seal twice daily. Now I seal twice daily to reduce frizz that moisturizing sometimes can cause HairPleezeGrow

Well I'm proud to say I made it to my 3 month mark and just dusted and I am loving my hair right now. It looks so thick and I'm barely losing hair. I'm seriously feeling conceited about my hair. I barely wear it straight but I can't wait to see where my ponytail hangs but most importantly the thickness. I remember a couple of years ago my hair into one ponytail was like equivalent to one section of someone putting their hair in fours. I had length but the thickness wasn't there. We'll here I go for another 3 months. I'm going to see if I can get away with just dusting and not a actual trim

Well I'm proud to say I made it to my 3 month mark and just dusted and I am loving my hair right now. It looks so thick and I'm barely losing hair. I'm seriously feeling conceited about my hair. I barely wear it straight but I can't wait to see where my ponytail hangs but most importantly the thickness. I remember a couple of years ago my hair into one ponytail was like equivalent to one section of someone putting their hair in fours. I had length but the thickness wasn't there. We'll here I go for another 3 months. I'm going to see if I can get away with just dusting and not a actual trim

That's great! I dusted also a few weeks ago with my split ender. I love that thing. I think we are doing wonderful...

Good day all!
This post really caught my attention because I have been on my own personal no trimming/cutting challenge since October 2013

I first got the idea from a friend of mine who would me remind that our indigenous ancestors did not believe in cutting their hair. And yet their hair was long and flowing. They did not worry about split, blunt, nor thin ends.
Native Americans used as trackers during war, were required to keep their hair long. (They lost their ability not only to track, but failed fit test exams that they had once excelled in)As well those who take the Nazirite Vow, do not put scissors to their hair.
And lastly of course Sikhs!

In the past I'd always felt any discrepancy in hair needed to be trimmed out.
What for? Every part of it tells a story.
And how backwards is it that we believe our hair will grow, if we cut it.
Thats like saying you'll lose weight, if you eat more. Mathematically doesn't make sense.
I figure, might as well keep every inch that is growing out of my head.
I have not cut my hair since October and don't think I will ever cut it again.
Many women growing their hair speak of set backs, which most times result in cutting. But wouldn't it be a change to see these setbacks not thrown away but rather cherished and appreciated for the hair lessons they have provided.

Hair is an extension of ourselves. People with long hair are adored everywhere regardless of race color or creed. Hair was used against blacks during slavery, why? Because they knew of it's importance to us.

I am hoping to bring a different perspective for choosing not to trim.

Good day all!
This post really caught my attention because I have been on my own personal no trimming/cutting challenge since October 2013

I first got the idea from a friend of mine who would me remind that our indigenous ancestors did not believe in cutting their hair. And yet their hair was long and flowing. They did not worry about split, blunt, nor thin ends.
Native Americans used as trackers during war, were required to keep their hair long. (They lost their ability not only to track, but failed fit test exams that they had once excelled in)As well those who take the Nazirite Vow, do not put scissors to their hair.

Thats like saying you'll lose weight, if you eat more. Mathematically doesn't make sense.
Many women growing their hair speak of set backs, which most times result in cutting. But wouldn't it be a change to see these setbacks not thrown away but rather cherished and appreciated for the hair lessons they have provided.

Hair is an extension of ourselves. People with long hair are adored everywhere regardless of race color or creed. Hair was used against blacks during slavery, why? Because they knew of it's importance to us.

Boy you have some knowledge there ma'am. Thanks for your input.

Still going strong. Staying in weekly box braids and in a halfway pull through tucked away ends style. So low maintenance. And I don't worry about ends. Just handle my hair with extreme care when I take it out

Good day all!

I still don't like thin wispy ends though. I don't need that telling any stories: look: lol I just believe you don't have to trim as often as stylists say because you cut off progress

Still going strong. Staying in weekly box braids and in a halfway pull through tucked away ends style. So low maintenance. And I don't worry about ends. Just handle my hair with extreme care when I take it out

That's good. I haven't trimmed since beginning of April even though I'm starting to give my ends the side eye lol. I just feel like my hair splits easily on the ends and not sure why. I'm very gentle with my hair and I M&S 3 times a week. Not sure what I'm doing wrong but I'm sticking to less trimming so yeah. I may do a trim with my split ender in June for my LC.

That's good. I haven't trimmed since beginning of April even though I'm starting to give my ends the side eye lol. I just feel like my hair splits easily on the ends and not sure why. I'm very gentle with my hair and I M&S 3 times a week. Not sure what I'm doing wrong but I'm sticking to less trimming so yeah. I may do a trim with my split ender in June for my LC.

HairPleezeGrow the same for me. My mom found my split under so she is shipping it to me. I am about to get on her nerves so she can send it. I am 9 weeks and a day and will be relaxing at 12 weeks. I'm going dust it to give it a almost even look and run the split under through once to ensure every strand gets a snip.

Maybe you need to up your moisturizing and sealing or moisturize twice night and day in the days you moisturize and seal

HairPleezeGrow the same for me. My mom found my split under so she is shipping it to me. I am about to get on her nerves so she can send it. I am 9 weeks and a day and will be relaxing at 12 weeks. I'm going dust it to give it a almost even look and run the split under through once to ensure every strand gets a snip.

Maybe you need to up your moisturizing and sealing or moisturize twice night and day in the days you moisturize and seal

Thanks for the tip...I will try it and see if it helps. I think I have to cut a good inch off all around. So may run my split ender through 4 times!

Will be relaxing this week coming up and can't wait to neaten up the ends. I have come a long way with obsessing about my ends. Idk if I will run the split under through once or twice. Hopefully I won't have to use the scissors the one time to blunt my ends a little so I can cut down the amount of times I dust. I won't have to deep trim I know that which is awesome

Last edited:
I dusted a little with the scissors to get a evenish look and ran the split under through 3 times. Using the split under was tiring. I was literally breaking a little sweat on my forehead. I did it without product and my hair had resistance. It caused so breakage actually. I dread using it again because you have to work in small sections. Next time I will probably just do mid length and that's it Because I don't have time for breakage. Anywho I have all fresh ends. That little breakage is making want to kick into ocd mode and want to cut again but I won't

Okay so I went ahead and got a trim. I was planning on using my curling wand on my hair but flat ironed it instead. Then I went to Walmart to get a much needed trim. I dk why my nape grows faster than the rest of my hair but there's a noticeable gap that I do not like. Oh and I didn't put anything in my hair except mixed chicks hair silk and a little chi 44 iron guard. Anyway on to the pics.

My hair b4 str8ening
View attachment 265885

While str8ening
View attachment 265887

Once finished

View attachment 265889

View attachment 265891

View attachment 265893

View attachment 265895

After trim
View attachment 265899

View attachment 265901

Okay so I went ahead and got a trim. I was planning on using my curling wand on my hair but flat ironed it instead. Then I went to Walmart to get a much needed trim. I dk why my nape grows faster than the rest of my hair but there's a noticeable gap that I do not like. Oh and I didn't put anything in my hair except mixed chicks hair silk and a little chi 44 iron guard. Anyway on to the pics.

My hair b4 str8ening

While str8ening

Once finished

After trim

It looks like your hair has gotten longer after trimming lol. Oh yeah I see the gap. That's how your hair grows. It will catch up. My nape is long(not longer than the rest) and I'm so happy cause most have hair in the back sticking out in a ponytail . I have a gap in the middle. Came from me ripping my hair out with the curlformers. I'm still terrified to use those things. They give a cute style to do if you have to do your hair in two hours and be somewhere worth your hair looking a mess

OMG! This thread is for me.

Ever since I started transitioning to natural, I have been addicted to trimming my hair.

This morning off ended up cutting off like 3 inches of hair so now it looks like I am completely natural now.

I gave my grandmother my scissors so I can fight the urge to trim my hair. Hopefully after this, I will see some growth at last!

See my gap

ForumRunner_20140620_142301.jpg

hair still stretches even though I'm relaxed

ForumRunner_20140620_142341.jpg

I think I still have some texture since I use no lye. But were when I do a ponytail rollerset and it's actually straight it does go to apl

Ever since I started transitioning to natural, I have been addicted to trimming my hair.

This morning off ended up cutting off like 3 inches of hair so now it looks like I am completely natural now.

I gave my grandmother my scissors so I can fight the urge to trim my hair. Hopefully after this, I will see some growth at last!

KidneyBean86 You will see a big difference. if you dust instead of full on trim and not often you will retain lots of growth a long with your healthy regimen. I went from nl (ish ) to apl in 6 months. I knew I wasn't a slow grower but Kept cutting off my progress. I dust every three months. I'm trying to see my natural shape of my hair and then get it professionally trimmed and watch them like a hawk when they do it when I'm mbl

Last edited:

Welcome! Only trim when needed girly and it's good to have others in here with us lol.

See my gap

hair still stretches even though I'm relaxed

I think I still have some texture since I use no lye. But were when I do a ponytail rollerset and it's actually straight it does go to apl

Okay so I had to save your pic to be able to enhance it but I don't see the gap. I'm sure it's there your hair just looks really dark in the pic. your hair is lovely though and I can't wait until I get to this length to do a decent roller set. Do you do the Mohawk style when setting?

Back