A question for all self-relaxers...

cocoa32

When self-relaxing, how can you tell you're hair is straight? Does the texture look and feel straight through the thick cream? Is there a certain "test" you do to see if it's straight? I want to try it, but I'm afraid of coming out underprocessed.

TIA

nomoweavesfome

You might want to try a strand test on a couple strands and see how long it will take for your hair. The timeline on the box is a guideline and it may take little more or a little less time depending on your hair type. I have fine hair and my hair takes no time to start breaking down. The middle and front part of my hair is more regular than fine, so I go by the timeline for normal hair and I relax the fine parts last which is the back and nape. I use a normal relaxer too. In all I go approximatly 15 to 18 minutes, but again that's for me. You want to test to see what's good for you.

gymfreak336

I do agree that a strand test will let you know how long you need. I do remember though when I got relaxed at a beauty school the professor who was watching over her told her that when you are smoothing and you notice that the hair that has the relaxer on it doesn't bounce back up after you smooth it then it is ready... If that makes any sense

lonei

I just do the half half method and leave in on for the max time on the box. Refer to my journal for details

crlsweetie912

gymfreak336 said:
I do agree that a strand test will let you know how long you need. I do remember though when I got relaxed at a beauty school the professor who was watching over her told her that when you are smoothing and you notice that the hair that has the relaxer on it doesn't bounce back up after you smooth it then it is ready... If that makes any sense

Exactly what I was going to post. That's how we learned in cosmetology school.

cocoa32

gymfreak336 said:

That does make sense.

Thank you so much for the responses, ladies.