A New Henna Thread

mamaore

Hi ladies,

does anyone know how long Henna keeps for? I have the BAQ that I bought from Henna Sooq 3 years ago. It's been in my freezer all this while. Should I throw it out or can I still use it?

DarkJoy

Bent. Not Broken.
mamaore said:
Hi ladies,

does anyone know how long Henna keeps for? I have the BAQ that I bought from Henna Sooq 3 years ago. It's been in my freezer all this while. Should I throw it out or can I still use it?

No clue. Wouldn't hurt to try it I suppose. At worst it does nothing.

Dang laurend! I saw that after the fact and wondered if you henna too! Lmao. Sorrry! Will get it right next time. ;)

greenandchic

I wish I had read this before I did it! Lol. It came out darker than my previously henna'd hair...but not that much. I'll try again in a couple of weeks the way you suggest...I want it a tad bit darker. Thanks for the help!

@newnyer I would also do a 40/60 or even 50/50 ratio with the indigo/henna mix.

Hi ladies,

@mamaore As long as its been wrapped up and out of heat and light, it should be good. I've used unopened henna that was 4 years old outside of the freezer and it was still good.

Foxglove

A drop of golden sun
ManiiSweetheart said:
Has anyone ever let their henna dry after applying? If so what were the results like?

Even when I kept it in overnight while I slept it didn't dry. Keep in mind I did use a baggy to avoid getting it all over the place

Foxglove

A drop of golden sun
mamaore said:
Hi ladies,

You should be fine

HanaKuroi

ManiiSweetheart said:
I meant purposefully let the henna dry

I would be afraid ti let it dry because I have fine hair. I would be afraid of breakage. I slather my henna on and it is molded to my head. If I let it dry I would have to rinse it in a tub lying on my back and not manipulate it in any way.

I don't think you will get more color from letting it dry if that is what you are thinking. I also think that it would dry your hair out too much.

Last edited:

ManiiSweetheart

HanaKuroi said:
I would be afraid ti let it dry because I have fine hair. I would be afraid of breakage. I slather my henna on and it is molded to me head. If I let it dry I would have to rinse it in a tub lying on my back and not manipulate it in any way.

I don't think you will get more color from letting it dry if that is what you are thinking. I also think that it would dry your hair out too much.

Yea, it was just a thought.

Kiowa

Finally found a use for yogurt that has gone past its expiration date in my fridge, added it to my cassia/indigo mix...:grin:

HanaKuroi

ManiiSweetheart

I read about a woman that had her henna done by a Pakistani woman and she used a hair dryer on her henna'ed hair. Dried it hard as a helmet. Made her leave it in overnight. She also added olive oil to the mix. They never explained why they dried the henna though.

ManiiSweetheart

HanaKuroi said:
ManiiSweetheart

I read about a woman that had her henna done by a Pakistani woman and she used a hair dryer on her henna'ed hair. Dried it hard as a helmet. Made her leave it in overnight. She also added olive oil to the mix. They never explained why they dried the henna though.

Hmm... I wonder what the result was

greenandchic

@ManiiSweetheart

I wonder why too. I put two plastic caps plus cotton coil around the edges and scarves to keep my hair moist and the henna off my pillows. I wonder why the hair have to be rock hard - I would think you'll get more of the benefit keeping it on the wet side.

ManiiSweetheart

greenandchic said:
I wonder why too. I put two plastic caps plus cotton coil around the edges and scarves to keep my hair moist and the henna off my pillows. I wonder why the hair have to be rock hard - I would think you'll get more of the benefit keeping it on the wet side.

Me too, plus rinsing would be an absolute nightmare

DarkJoy

Bent. Not Broken.
Hi ladies,

Just found out last night. I kept stashing leftover henna in a tupperware in the freezer the last 2 months. Worked just as good as fresh. I'm re-freezing that leftover until there's enough for a full application. Will see how that goes....3 yeears is a while. How'd it go @mamaore?

Me too, plus rinsing would be an absolute nightmare

OMG, last night the henna on my nape dried and it was not only difficult to rinse, but quite painful when trying to move it around to get it saturated! ugh. A full head like that would kill me!

Natty_Virgo

So I am looking to take the leap and henna. I just called Mehandi.com to ask some questions about their Jamila Henna, wth did ole girl have a attitude when she picked up like she didn't even want to be on the phone. I was jussssttt about to put in my credit card number. Now I am mad as hell cause I refuse to give them my money but haven't read this whole thread yet to see who else has good quality henna. :wallbash:

baddison

natural for good
So I am looking to take the leap and henna. I just called Mehandi.com to ask some questions about their Jamila Henna, wth did ole girl have a attitude when she picked up like she didn't even want to be on the phone. I was jussssttt about to put in my credit card number. Now I am mad as hell cause I refuse to give them my money but haven't read this whole thread yet to see who else has good quality henna. :wallbash:

Do you have any Indian Grocery Stores in your area?? I usually purchase months and months worth of NUPUR Henna at a local Subzi Mandi (Indian Grocer) in my area. They also sell other brands, like RESHMA, etc...but I am strictly a NUPUR user. Perhaps you can check around to see if you have any Indian stores in your area. It also saves on shipping!! :yep:

Natty_Virgo

Do you have any Indian Grocery Stores in your area?? I usually purchase months and months worth of NUPUR Henna at a local Subzi Mandi (Indian Grocer) in my area. They also sell other brands, like RESHMA, etc...but I am strictly a NUPUR user. Perhaps you can check around to see if you have any Indian stores in your area. It also saves on shipping!! :yep:

Well not really in my area, they are like 30 minutes away and all the reviews for those stores say they are rude and sell expired items lol. I read through most of this thread and placed a order with Ayurnatural Beauty online. Thanks for the tip though, the one black bss in my area only sells Colora or something like that and after researching that brand via this board I passed on it.

HanaKuroi

sheedatj said:

Try hennasooq. I didn't like how mehandi.com packages the henna for AA hair. Apparently henna for AA hair and another henna on their site is the same but I didn't know that until I called thinking I had the wrong product. They basically said that yt people wouldn't buy a product if African hair was mentioned in the description. I said a few things set her straight and haven't ordered since. I use hennasooq.com Hennasooq has jamila. sheedatj

Natty_Virgo

Thanks HanaKuroi I already ordered but if there are any problems or issues with this vendor I will try them next time. Yea the girl on the phone had the worst attitude so I am not surprised that they do stuff like that. :)

HanaKuroi

I had no problems with the order or anything. I just didn't like that girl's attitude! I think hennasooq is a member here. A funky attitude will make me go out of my way and pay more to avoid giving my cash to businesses with attitudes.

Natty_Virgo

HanaKuroi said:
I had no problems with the order or anything. I just didn't like that girl's attitude! I think hennasooq is a member here. A funky attitude will make me go out of my way and pay more to avoid giving my cash to businesses with attitudes.

Exactly why I kept shopping around even tho they are having a sale. That's such a shame.