A lil' update on my shedding issues.

sweetcashew

Many of you ladies remember that I’ve had some severe shedding these past months. It started at the beginning of July and it’s has yet to stop.
During the last 3 months I’ve managed to retain about 4 inches of growth with one trim done today. I’ve not been fussing with my hair. I now wash every 7-14 days instead of 2 to 3 times a week. Today was the first day since July 2nd that I deep conditioned my hair and I only left the conditioner in for half an hour instead of an hr like I use to.
All I’ve been doing is washing with Crème of Nature shampoo and Joico moisture retention conditioner (which I leave on for about 1 to 3 mins). I blow dry and flat iron and ignore my hair until the next wash.
My new growth is so thick it’s weird. My texture has changed a lot too. It’s coarser but softer. I’m seeing thin ends because of all the hair I’m losing whenever I wash but the rest of my hair isn’t thin at all. It seems like the last 6 inches in considerably thinner than the rest of the hair (Even though you really can't tell from pictures). I've lost about 1/3 of my thickness and it's noticeable by friends and family. :mad:
The longest strands of hair are falling, falling falling. :eek: Remember my hair from my ears down is barely touching bra-strap so when I lose those long hairs it affects the thickening of my length. :confused:
I’ve haven’t been doing anything to combat the shedding because I did blood work and there is nothing wrong with me so I figure it just has to be natural and I’m going to bury my head in the sand until it passes. Being very busy has helped my to just ignore my hair and stop stressing about it.
Anyway, my picture updates are in my fotki album. Password in profile.

sweetcashew

locabouthair said:
have you tried garlic shampoo i heard its supposed to be good.

I used it twice in the beginning but it seemed like I lost more hair when I used it. It did make my new growth really straight though. People tell me I gave up too easily on it but I just didn't really want to use new products.

goldensensation

I'm shedding a lot, too. So I feel your pain. I checked your album and your hair still looks good. Maybe you'll feel better about your ends once you flat iron and there is less shrinkage. :)

Denim And Leather

Your hair is gorgeous! :) I can definitely see that it's grown, your hair is just about to your butt, chicka! The hair that you lost that you have pics of really don't look like a lot.....could it be that it looks like a lot because of how long your hair is and the strands are bunched together?

I was suffering from hair shedding a few weeks back, but nothing like yours. I used Queen Helene's Garlic shampoo and that has helped. I still think you should try it, give it a couple of weeks.

Please continue to keep us posted! :)

sxyhairfetish

UR HAIR IS GAWJUS!!!! U should try Alter Ego Cren It helped me TREMENDOUSLY!!!! Its a green box with yellow writing... I'm telling u I have RAVE reviews about it. I suffered from CRAZY Post partum shedding and it stopped it completely... I tried the garlic and it didnt help me... But what may not work for me, may work for you... Try the garlic, if it doesnt help... Try Alter Ego Cren...

sweetcashew

:)
Denim And Leather said:
Your hair is gorgeous! :) I can definitely see that it's grown, your hair is just about to your butt, chicka! The hair that you lost that you have pics of really don't look like a lot.....could it be that it looks like a lot because of how long your hair is and the strands are bunched together?

I was suffering from hair shedding a few weeks back, but nothing like yours. I used Queen Helene's Garlic shampoo and that has helped. I still think you should try it, give it a couple of weeks.

Please continue to keep us posted! :)

Girl the hair next to to clip was about 150 strands. It really doesn't show in the picture. And it was probably about 75 strands that came out in the shower. This is coming from a girl who use to lost maybe 5 strands in the shower and none when I'm blow-drying (At least I didn't see them). So that's a lot for me.
I'm sure it's exaggerated by the length of my hair though. :) I'll definitely try the garlic shampoo again. At least I'll give it 4 tries before I decide.

sweetcashew

sxyhairfetish said:
UR HAIR IS GAWJUS!!!! U should try Alter Ego Cren It helped me TREMENDOUSLY!!!! Its a green box with yellow writing... I'm telling u I have RAVE reviews about it. I suffered from CRAZY Post partum shedding and it stopped it completely... I tried the garlic and it didnt help me... But what may not work for me, may work for you... Try the garlic, if it doesnt help... Try Alter Ego Cren...

Alter Ego Cren? I've never heard about that. I've heard them talk about the Alter Ego garlic conditioner but never the Cren. I'm going to have to check that out.

sxyhairfetish

www.sickbay.biz has it for 28 dollars.

Last edited:

JewelleNY

Have you thought about airdrying? Maybe your hair just needs a break.

Your hair looks great to me though, you have achieved great length:)

locabouthair

if you get the alter ego you can get a sample first before you buy it cuz its expensive. my roommate called and got a sample. don't know the number though.

sweetcashew

JewelleNY said:
Have you thought about airdrying? Maybe your hair just needs a break.

Your hair looks great to me though, you have achieved great length:)

Thanks girl. Airdrying was doing more harm than good. My hair gets too thick and I can't comb through it when I air dry. I do blow dry on low though.
I can't wait to go back to rollersetting. I miss that.

Denim And Leather

sweetcashew said:
:)

Girl the hair next to to clip was about 150 strands. It really doesn't show in the picture. And it was probably about 75 strands that came out in the shower. This is coming from a girl who use to lost maybe 5 strands in the shower and none when I'm blow-drying (At least I didn't see them). So that's a lot for me.
I'm sure it's exaggerated by the length of my hair though. :) I'll definitely try the garlic shampoo again. At least I'll give it 4 tries before I decide.

Really?:eek: Yikes! I can certainly understand why you say that's a lot when you normally only get 5 strands in the shower. I hope the garlic shampoo works for you. Also, have you considered iron supplements? Just a little bit extra (too much is toxic from what I've read.)

I'm sure whatever you decide, it'll work out and the shedding will stop. :)

juicy555

Where to buy the garlic shampoo? I went online at sallys nd didnt see it. I'll try the iron too cuz my hair's coming out like crazy.:perplexed

crlsweetie912

Could it be that because your hair is so long, it's looking like more shedding than it really is. Your hair is hella long and if you ball it up, it could look worse than it really is?

fancypants007

sxyhairfetish said:

www.sickbay.biz has it for 28 dollars.

This is what I was going to recommend. I ordered it last week from sickbay.biz and I will be using it this weekend. I know shedding is a part of the normal process of growing hair, but I just don't like it. My hair seemed to be shedding more lately so I'm hoping that this alter ego that sxyhairfetish recommended will work just as good for me as it did for her.

DAX

Sweetcashew,

My hair looks exactly the same as your after-washed shedded hair does in your fotki. I am loosing a half a palm full of hair every wash. It is very annoying and cause for worry.

Are you using MTG? I am trying to find the common denominator for all of this shedding that some members are complaining about. There has to be a staple product that is causing this shedding. My hair never shed like this before.

I am wondering if it is a combination of MTG and relaxing.

I need to find the culprit before I go bald. I already have fine hair and all this shedding is reallly thinning me out!

Denim And Leather

juicy555 said:
Where to buy the garlic shampoo? I went online at sallys nd didnt see it. I'll try the iron too cuz my hair's coming out like crazy.:perplexed

Hi, Juicy555! :wave:

I just bought a bottle of Queen Helene Garlic shampoo a few weeks ago, for about $7 at the Beauty Collection. They have several locations, this store is WAY better than all the BSS' I've been to (including Sally's). I got mine at one of the locations in the Valley.

Here's the link:

http://www.beautycollection.com/contactus.php

If you do get the Queen Helene brand, be sure to follow up with a good DC, because this shampoo will make your hair a bit rough.

sweetcashew said:
Thanks girl. Airdrying was doing more harm than good. My hair gets too thick and I can't comb through it when I air dry. I do blow dry on low though.
I can't wait to go back to rollersetting. I miss that.

You're hair is soooo georgous! I can't wait for mine to be that length!

Have you stopped taking any supplements or changed your diet? If not, then I think your shedding may be worsened a bit by the blowdrying since you would lose less strands than if you airdryed. I think you should keep trying different conditioners and leave-in conditoners until you find one that makes your hair come out the way you want when air-dried. But on the positive side, your hair doesn't look thin at all to me.

Last edited:

Josie

locabouthair said:
if you get the alter ego you can get a sample first before you buy it cuz its expensive. my roommate called and got a sample. don't know the number though.

Hi ladies,
I found a trial size (1 application) at ibeautyNY.com for 3.99. Look under
Hair Car Phials & Trial Sizes.

I’m a newbie, and I’ve been having shedding issues also, although it’s
a little better. I’m going to give this a try and hope it works.

I’ve learned so much from you ladies. Thanks for all your help!

chris2o16o

you must definitely use the nutrine garlic shampoo....the shampoo tends to be a little bit drying so u should use it with a moisturizing deep conditioner after, sit under the dryer with the conditioner for atleast 30 mins....hope this helps

sweetcashew

DAX said:
Sweetcashew,

My hair looks exactly the same as your after-washed shedded hair does in your fotki. I am loosing a half a palm full of hair every wash. It is very annoying and cause for worry.

Are you using MTG? I am trying to find the common denominator for all of this shedding that some members are complaining about. There has to be a staple product that is causing this shedding. My hair never shed like this before.

I am wondering if it is a combination of MTG and relaxing.

I need to find the culprit before I go bald. I already have fine hair and all this shedding is reallly thinning me out!

I don't use any other products on my hair other than regular shampoo, conditioner and leave in.
Honestly the first time it came out so much was a morning after airdrying in the ponytail rollerset. I started combing my hair and my brother exclaimed at the amount of hair that was coming out on the comb.
I thought maybe my hair was breaking from those little rubber band holders but when I checked them they were all shed hair.
One day I was losing 5 strands a day and the next day it was maybe 100.
I started taking iron supplements after that but nothing. I did, lose about 40 lbs in a short period of time on the Atkins diet, a factor my mom insists is the cause of my hair loss.
I allowed myself to regain some weight just to try to trick my body but still nothing.

juicy555

Denim And Leather said:
Hi, Juicy555! :wave:

I just bought a bottle of Queen Helene Garlic shampoo a few weeks ago, for about $7 at the Beauty Collection. They have several locations, this store is WAY better than all the BSS' I've been to (including Sally's). I got mine at one of the locations in the Valley.

Here's the link:

http://www.beautycollection.com/contactus.php

If you do get the Queen Helene brand, be sure to follow up with a good DC, because this shampoo will make your hair a bit rough.

Thanks for the tip Denim And Leather!

Wow I wish I'd read this post b4 racing out to Leimert park. I went to the big BSS on the corner across from the park, but it and the Motions CPR I bought werent factory sealed which made me nervous. How's the shampoo working for you? I hope it's stopping any shedding you may have had!

Cayenne0622

The Alter Ego Cren didn't work for me on the first use. I used it last week (wednesday). I'm going to try it again today though. I don't know wuz up. I want this shedding to stop!!! Its been at least 3 months. I can literally drag my hand across the top of my shoulder and crab nothing but loose hair laying there. Its weird because it'll stop at one wash and then start right back up at another. :( I do have to say that I am losing less than I was in July but I won't be happy until its 10 or less strands. As long as I stay at 50+...its war!!

Victorian

old head
Girl, your hair still looks good! :)
But I know it must be frustrating not knowing the cause.
Based on what you've said so far, I'm guessing it is either diet- or hormone-related. The fact that your newgrowth is a different texture is a clear indication to me that this doesn't have anything to do with products or external things. It's something internal.
Do you take a multivitamin? If not, you may want to look for a good one to start taking daily, or maybe a high-potency b-complex.

juicy555

Cayenne0622 said:
I can literally drag my hand across the top of my shoulder and crab nothing but loose hair laying there.

Me too:( I don't even have to use my hand, just look down and there a strands fallen without even touching my hair.

Isis

What about your water quality? Some of the ladies here use water filters. Water quality can change dramatically sometimes. I guess the best way to test that is to wash your hair elsewhere and see if there is a difference.

My only other thought is hormonal, as mentioned by BlackCardinal. Hormones can be balanced (like with natural progesterone) though but I suggest seeing a doctor first to make sure.

I truly hope you get a quick solution to this shedding, Sweetcashew.

Denim And Leather

juicy555 said:
Thanks for the tip Denim And Leather!

Wow I wish I'd read this post b4 racing out to Leimert park. I went to the big BSS on the corner across from the park, but it and the Motions CPR I bought werent factory sealed which made me nervous. How's the shampoo working for you? I hope it's stopping any shedding you may have had!

You're welcome, chicka! :) At least you can keep that BSS store in mind as well, since they're pretty big and have a big selection of different goodies.

Yes, the shampoo works really well, it has definitely stopped the shedding for me, thanks for asking. :)