4b Ladies...Any Mid-back or Waist....???

Lebiya

Are there any 4b ladies who have Mid back to waist length hair?

..did you always have long hair?

Are you the only one in the family with such long hair?

I know there are many 3b/c’s w/ waist or beyond but I REEALLLY need to hear from the 4b ladies

Fine 4s

I know there are many 3b/c’s w/ waist or beyond but I REEALLLY need to hear from the 4b ladies

Me too, me too, me too!
The most interesting thing to me would be to hear whether they've always had long hair. For example, folks who thought their 'cap' was SL and amazed folks with BSL or beyond. Talk about inspiration.
Come on 4's, come on!

Traycee

My hair has always stayed between apl and bsl......But this is the healthiest my hair has ever been...10 years ago in High School I had MBL but since then Whenever I get to BSL I need a major trim..So I hoping that all I learned from you Ladies will change that this time.

My family on my mother side is mostly all Type 4's and long hair runs in the family on my mother side ....I've seen a lot of women here with Type 4 and long hair too....If I remember correctly Pinkskates (I think I spelled it right) is MBL and she is Type 4 also

sonce

This whole hair-typing thing is confusing but I'm clearly in the 4 range hair-wise.
...did you always have long hair?

Nope. My relaxed hair broke so badly and was so damaged that it never exceeded neck length (like 3-5 inches). My mom refused to believe it was the relaxer and insisted that I simply had hair that didn't grow. :drunk:

In my immediate family, yes. In my extended family, no. My father's sister has long, thick hair that has been BSL at various points (now that she is older, she keeps it around APL). Funnily, what we have in common apart from relation is that we are both natural.
Most of my family is relaxed or chemically treated to some degree and only the naturals have healthy heads of hair. I guess chemicals just don't work for those in my family.

I think Sonce is 4b and her hair midback/waist length.
Thanks for the shout-out, Fabienne. :)

Last edited:

mango387

This whole hair-typing thing is confusing but I'm clearly in the 4 range hair-wise.

Nope. My relaxed hair broke so badly and was so damaged that it never exceeded neck length (like 3-5 inches). My mom refused to believe it was the relaxer and insisted that I simply had hair that didn't grow. :drunk:

In my immediate family, yes. In my extended family, no. My father's sister has long, thick hair that has been BSL at various points (now that she is older, she keeps it around APL). Funnily, what we have in common apart from relation is that we are both natural.
Most of my family is relaxed or chemically treated to some degree and only the naturals have healthy heads of hair. I guess chemicals just don't work for those in my family.

Thanks for the shout-out, Fabienne. :)

Wow! I just looked at your fotki. I am going to be honest. I don't give compliments out very much, but your hair is SIMPLY AMAZING! Thank you for inspiring me after soooooo many people told me that my hair would never grow (which it is) because of its texture (similar to yours). THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU!

Imani

I had been trying to pull up similar threads but you can't put just "4b" in the search, it says it is too short of a phrase.

I'm starting to think my hair is never going to grow, especially being relaxed:sad:. But if i were to go natural, i'd want to wear my hair straight most of the time and that would prob damage it or be too time consuming and a big poofy mess in the summer. I always got my hair pressed until i was about 13 and while somewhat thick it was never past shoulder.

everytime i go to a salon people or sometimes just random people, are always like "you have very nice hair" i assume bc it is relatively thick. even a dominican lady said this to me once and i was shocked bc i didn't think they liked 4b hair. But it just continues in this cycle of grow, dry out, break. i've tried no heat/lo heat, lots of different conditioners, moisturizers, methods, etc and it still breaks.

I just cut off 1-2 inches today from split ends/ breakage caused by dryness. :perplexed I've been trying to grow my hair for the past 2 years and haevent even made shoulder. a part of it may be bc my ife is very hectic. i've been in college the past 6 years and i travel/move around a lot with different internships, etc.

tsturnbu

mid-back here. when i started this board (2003), i was shoulder lenght. now, am mid-back almost waist. my hair is coarse, I am African American (caribbean american really), and i am the only person with 4a/b hair in my family with long hair.

I will say though i have the coarsest hair of all my relatives. though ther hair is short, most off my relatives on both sides have 3c hair. Go figure. They got softness, and I got length. LOL.

sonce

Wow! I just looked at your fotki. I am going to be honest. I don't give compliments out very much, but your hair is SIMPLY AMAZING! Thank you for inspiring me after soooooo many people told me that my hair would never grow (which it is) because of its texture (similar to yours). THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU!
Aww thank you, Mango. You must not let naysayers speak defeat into your life. My mother was full of derisive comments about how my hair was going to break off and be a hot, ugly mess, and even as it grew, she was full of criticism. I did not let her discourage me and you must not let those around you discourage you. Hair grows as long as we are alive. Take care of it and yourself, and see what time can do.

Here's a funny bit of trivia: When I went natural, I did not even set hair goals at first--I was just so happy to finally have some hair at my nape (the relaxer broke off all the hair from 3" above my nape and below)! Every single length marker past neck length was a surprise to me until I realized that my hair was going to far exceed my wildest dreams.

Isis

No, I didn't always have long hair. Most of my life I didn't even try to grow out my hair or think about having a hair regimen. Severe hair issues along wth prayer helped me discover this site. :)

There are just a few in my extended family with long hair although I believe all could grow their hair long if they had a desire to (and the knowledge).