4a/b Naturals: Do you comb your hair?

GoldenBreeze

pretty_nappy_hair said:
Okay so if you don't comb it what do you do with your hair?

When I'm not in braids I twist my hair or straighten it. I'm tired of twists and my hair won't stay straight for too long as the weather get warmer.

So what do you do? Co-wash and ponytail? How do you keep it neat and tame? I need some ideas because i'm not very creative or experimental with my hair. I just want it to grow with as little manipulation as possible to retain growth.

I'm not very creative either. I CO-wash and ponytail. Also, I put the ponytail up in a claw/octopus clip, or in a bun/ponytail cover. Sometimes I wrap it in a silk scarf; I learned that from D_Coily on NP forum. I baggy nightly, so all I do in the morining is put moisturizer and oil on and smooth my hair back with my hands.

FineChyna

the longer my hair gets the less i comb it daily. i do a comb through every week when i wash after that i do use a wide tooth comb to detangle my ends a few times a week but i also finger comb and use my hands to part the hair when applying my moisturizer nightly. i think after caring for you hair for so long you know how far you can go with things

ToyToy

I only comb once a week after a wash. On other days I just finger-comb. I used to use a brush for a while (on dry hair with moisturiser) but that didn't work for me.

Ennyaa

Hmm, I don't think I've actually combed my hair in months. I use a Denman on it in the shower to get the conditioner through it but usually once I rinse it out I might brush it a little more to get it slicked back but that's it. Of course now that I'm in braids I'm not even doing that anymore.

For the once in a purple moon when I comb, I have a very wide tooth pick-like comb that I use to put the hair where I want it.

wonderstar

I'm 3c/4a and I only comb my hair one day out of the week. I apply pre poo and leave on for about an hour then detangle my hair before I shampoo. Then I comb with a wide tooth comb before I wash out my deep con and lastly to style my hair for the week. If I change my hairstyle during the week I will just finger comb.

sholly6

i have cornrows so i wash 2xweek con-wash/shampoo-deep condition, i don't comb my hair maybe once a month and that's when i take my hair down to get it rebraided.

Divalicious

wonderstar88 said:
I'm 3c/4a and I only comb my hair one day out of the week. I apply pre poo and leave on for about an hour then detangle my hair before I shampoo. Then I comb with a wide tooth comb before I wash out my deep con and lastly to style my hair for the week. If I change my hairstyle during the week I will just finger comb.

Your hair is gorgeous!

I comb my hair about twice a week or so. At first, I was like 'there is no way I can go a day without combing', but now I can. However, finger combing doesn't really work for my hair and I get really impatient.

gloomgeisha

I think I already answered this question but I couldn't find my post so I don't know. Either way, I only comb my hair either monthly or bi-monthly now. Whenever I take down my twists and redo them.

I use a regular ol' wide toothed comb from the B.S.S.

ETA: I use Surge Plus 14 as a detangler.

Last edited:

Envious

I comb my hair only on wash days...I comb while I have the shampoo in, rinse, then put my conditioner in. If I comb my hair on non-wash days, then the little curls will frizz and poof out (not a bad thing, but not really the look I'm going for with my pony puff) :look:

kellie7777

i only comb my hair sometimes when i co-wash or do a deep con. when i style i finger comb. it all depends on how i feel. but i think it is good to comb it to remove the shed hairs, but not daily. To each his own. i had a hard time at first with not combing so i can understand

IrisDaVirus

I comb my hair but only while it's wet and with a wide-toothed comb. Once it's dry I only manipulate it with my fingers. And I don't use brushes on my hair either.