4a/4b naturals: detangling with coconut oil?

BeautifulRoots

Hey! Are there any 4a/4b naturals out there that have used coconut oil to detangle with the intent of leaving it on the hair? I know a lot of people detangle with a conditioner and just leave it in the hair and go...anyone try the same method with coconut oil? If so, what were your results?

Rei

i dont know about any others but coconut oil alone is not enough to detangle my hair. And if I pile it on, it leaves my hair crunchy. :/ I've tried with both coconut and olive oil. It seems the only thing that works really well without leading me to lose more hair than I want, are cone-filled conditioners like HeHH or Aussie Moist

nikolite

I hear that oil rinsing is great for your hair and nearly melts away tangles. I haven't tried it yet, but I'd pre-poo with oil (maybe even use a little heat) and then detangle while rinsing it out before I shampoo and DC. I'll try it once my hair's loose again (in box braids at the moment).

Here's a thread with more info on it: http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=150965

FroFab

Coconut oil doesn't work for me. My hair usually responds to thicker oils. The only oils capable of helping me detangle are olive and castor so far.

LayneJ

Coconut oil doesn't work for me. My hair usually responds to thicker oils. The only oils capable of helping me detangle are olive and castor so far.

Okay, I'm really feeling you on the castor oil bit!

I didn't think any oil would help me detangle, but the other night, I slathered castor oil on my sectioned hair, and the next morning, my hair was so soft, I decided to test my luck and detangle with only the oil on my hair. Whew! I couldn't believe how the comb just GLIDED through my hair. I detangled dry too! I haven't touched my dry hair since I found this forum 3 years ago. :lol:

I'm going to try this again next detangling session.

OP: I LOVE coconut oil, but I've never tried to detangle with it. I'd think it would be too light. I can't recommend castor oil yet because I've only detangled with it once, but I'd try that if coconut oil doesn't work out for you.

choctaw

Coconut oil rinses are great for detangling my hair. the shed hair slides to the ends when I finger comb with oil. A second option is to use shower comb when hair is saturated with oil or conditioner. HTH

Tiye

It must be texture dependent. I can use oils as a conditioning treatment or as a leave in protectant but as a detangler ... that won't work. They don't make my hair slick or slippery. I'm 4b natural.

LilMissRed

:nono: coconut oil alone doesnt work for me .. I do however mix it in with other stuff for my hair as far as moisturizing/sealing goes :yep:

nestlequik

I notice when I moisturize with coconut oil the night before, my hair is softer the next day. But I use products with coconut fatty acids that help me detangle. (Like Aubrey Organic conditioners)

MizzBrit

im sure i couldnt..my hari is too thick for that.i do slather olive oil on my hair and then detangle with a thick creamy conditioner(tresseme moisture rich is the bestz) in the shower

lolascurls

I find coconut oil works as long as I put some leave-in beforehand!
Even the Organics leave-in liquid mayo works with the good old EVCO! I may try the castor oil though (I do have a brand new 250ml bottle -lol!)
:)

chebaby

before i co wash i slather on coconut oil to help with the detangling process.

also once when i took out mini twists i used coconut oil mixed with qhemet detangling ghee to do it.

Iluvsmuhgrass

If I may ask, what length were you all when you started having problems with tangles?

I've never used coconut oil for detangling but I love the way it makes my hair feels.

LayneJ

If I may ask, what length were you all when you started having problems with tangles?

I've never used coconut oil for detangling but I love the way it makes my hair feels.

I only have an issue with tangles when I wear my hair out (aka WnGs). That's always been the case, even when I was neck length.

I will say though, the longer my natural hair gets, the worse the tangles I do get, become.