3SISTERSBEAUTYSUPPLY MAY BE BLACK, BUT THEY’RE NOT “THE BUSINESS”

PJaye

I just had an absolutely horrid experience with this vendor that I feel obligated to share:

7/6 – Saw the thread in the vendor’s section of LHCF notifying members of a voucher sale from the vendor. After checking out their website and the merchandise offered, I decided to place an order for three(3) $10 for $20 coupon vouchers.

7/7 @ 3:36pm – I received an embedded email from the merchant that contained my order details and the actual vouchers. I downloaded the attachments and read the fine print: Vouchers can only be redeemed in person or over the phone; only one voucher can be redeemed per purchase. Although I was shocked at the “in person or over the phone” criterion, I didn’t view it as a deal breaker.

7/20 @ 12:28pm – I called the store to place an order and was told by a young man (he seemed to be either in his late teens or very early twenties) that he could not take any orders, only the owners could do so. All he could do was take my name and number and have one of the owners call me back to place an order. Since I preferred to call back rather than wait for a phone call, I asked when would the owners be available and was told by the young man that they would be arriving in-store between 4pm and 5pm.

7/20 @ 5:41pm – The same young man answered the phone and apologetically informed me that the owners were still not available, but would be in-store by 9pm (which was the store’s closing time). I left my name, number and the purpose of my call, and was assured that one of the owners would get back to me either that evening or over the weekend (this was a Friday).

7/23 @ 12:02pm – Since I hadn’t received a callback, I called the store again and Ricky, one of the owners, answered the phone. I restated my name and the reason for my call and was told that he hadn’t done any of his callbacks (all he said was “my bad” before moving on). Given his nonchalance, I explained how I wanted to redeem all of the vouchers I had purchased with one order so that I could put the entire ordeal to rest. Ricky tried to make me adhere to the stipulations of the vouchers (e.g., can only redeem them one at a time per purchase), but I adamantly insisted that they all be traded in at that time. He finally acquiesced and took my order (I had to spell out the details of my address four times, and he tried to charge me tax during processing. He also seemed a bit put out when I informed him that it would be illegal to collect taxes on an out-of-state order unless he had an actual brick and mortar store in that particular state). At any rate, subsequent to writing up my order and his rough estimation of the shipping charges (since it was $7, I didn’t bother debating the issue), Ricky informed me that the three items I wished to purchase were out of stock and would not be replenished until the following Thursday. However, he assured me that he would put the order through himself before saying, “I will definitely give you a call on Thursday with your shipping information. You will definitely be hearing from ME on Thursday.”

8/3 @ 10:50am – Seeing as I did not hear from Ricky on Thursday as promised, I placed yet another call to the store. This time Nicky, the other owner, answered the phone and stated that since Ricky was not in-store, he would have to call me back. By now, I was tired of the back and forth phone tag, so I asked after the status of my order. I had great difficulty hearing Nicky’s response since she halted our conversation mid-sentence several times to greet customers and discuss their hair appointments. After waiting until a few minutes for her to get it together, I repeated my question regarding the status of my order and was told that Ricky had mentioned some confusion with the numbers on my card to her and stated that he would call me on Thursday. She ended by saying that she would have him call me today when he gets in. When I asked for an approximate timeframe for my callback from Ricky, Nicky cuts in and testily asks, “What would you have me do?” to which I quickly replied, “Either fulfill my purchase order by the end of business today or issue me a full refund for the price of the vouchers.” She sighs and says, “Fine, that is exactly what I will do. Give you a refund. Thank you and have a good day” before abruptly hanging up the phone.

8/3 @ 10:56am – Oh hell no! I hit the redial and reach Nicky again. After her greeting I ask, “Did you just hang up on me? A paying customer? A paying customer that’s trying to patronize a Black business? You didn’t just do that, did you? Nicky stumbles for a moment before saying, “The phone just cut off.” I replied by sarcastically saying, “I'm sure it did. I’m trying to patronize YOUR business and you have the nerve to have an attitude? After numerous calls and umpteen ball drops? You’re kidding me right?” (Admittedly, I was livid and feeling a tad bit funky myself.) Then, Nicky hastily says, “Look, I’m processing your refund right now because this has gone on long enough. First, you went through my son, then my husband.” ***LIGHT BULB MOMENT*** “You were aware of the difficulty I’ve been experiencing with this order and you didn’t step in? Aren’t you one of the owners?” I asked in astonishment. “Yes, I’m one of the owners!” she yelled. “Then, how could you not step in and set things right, especially given the number of times I tried to place this order?” I countered. “Because Ricky was supposed to handle your order.” she stated. I rolled my eyes, took a deep breath and said, “And, of course, you had nothing to do with that, right? Okay, this has to end today. I expect a full refund of the purchase price for these three vouchers to be completed and credited by the end of business today. Do we have an understanding?” Nicky replied with a short “Yeah, whatever” before hanging up the phone.

8/3 @ 11:04am - I receive an email from PayPal informing me that a refund from 3sistersbeautysupply has been issued to my account.

I am so done. From now on, I will no longer remain silent when I receive ghastly service from a merchant after placing an order. For the record, this is not about the money, or I would’ve posted about the ongoing difficulties I’ve experienced with another vendor since 6/14/12 that is more than triple the amount I paid to this vendor. For me, it all centers on the lax business practices and substandard customer service that, for some, appear to be the norm. Well, no more. From this moment forward, I am going to speak and let the chips fall where they may.

This beauty supply is very close to where I live so I've never had to order online from them. I'd love to support them, but there's never anything in stock! Poor selection, no real customer service either. It's a shame.

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

PJaye I'm sorry you had to go through this.....

BOBs have got to do better with customer service. There are still some BOB vendors I will not order from because of their very poor customer service even though their products are RAVED about!!! Nothing or no one is that good if they have bad customer service along with bad attitude and they will not get my money! There are too many others out there that are happy to be nice and courteous and provide good products!!!

When I received that voucher offer from 3Sisters and read how you had to redeem it, I kept it moving. It had all the potential to turn out just as you experienced.

BOBs will never live down the reputation of being amateurish and pedestrian. Where is the professionalism???!!! If you don't want to provide good CS along with good products, then don't go in business!! It's just that simple!!!

/Rant over!

This beauty supply is very close to where I live so I've never had to order online from them. I'd love to support them, but there's never anything in stock! Poor selection, no real customer service either. It's a shame.

Is it so hard for them to get their ish together? Jesus...and all the effort that's being put into the "Patronize BOB" movement, and then this store wanna act like this? Really?? Well, if they wanna act like they don't have a lick of sense, I'm sure another business won't be so idiot as to ignore good money coming their way!

So stupid... :nono:

wow! that is crazy and I think you handled it very well, that's a shame and then they wonder why we don't support BOB all the time, cause of that right thurr!

If they aren't ready to accept out of state orders they shouldn't. I think it's best to stick with companies that have established online businesses.

Thanks for posting OP. I'm all for supporting black businesses, but good costumer service is a must. Scratching them off my list.

Sent from my HTC Evo

This is actually only my second time posting on the boards, but I have to completely agree with OP. A couple of months ago I ordered from their website because they were having a good sale. I waited almost three weeks and never received a shipping update. I ended up calling the store and they told me that my items were out of stock but it should be shipped out by the end of the week. They did not say they were sorry or offer me anything in return for my wait. They could have simply sent an email or called me updating me on my order, but instead I had to contact them. Two weeks later, I received a shipping confirmation. I vowed to NEVER order from them again regardless of any sales or offers.

I live in the DFW area and I've visited this bss, twice. I was disappointed with the lack of customer service and their "false advertising" both times. For one, she gave us a half-#** greeting upon entering. Secondly, she didn't have any products on the shelf at all. Why are you advertising that you sell such and such and the shelves are empty. She offered to order it for me online and ship to me @ NC. No, thank you. I'd rather order it myself directly from the company knowing I don't have to deal with trying to get my products. :nono::nono:

In the Bronx....when you have a store, but you never have any products on your shelves....but you stay in business year after year...

Well....it usually cause you're selling a "product" that you can't put on your shelves... #justsayin #thataintacrylicpowder :grin:

Wow, what a shame. OP thanks for speaking up. I don't care if the owners are black or white, poor service is poor service and should not be tolerated. Others should be informed so that the trend of poor customer service can be stopped. Just because we are trying to support our own doesn't mean we have to put up with nonsense. At the rate they are going, they won't be in business long.

I ordered from them 2 times. And the last time i got a voucher like you OP.

I didn't know it was phone only...but i didn't care either. I got the owner that day and placed my order. She didn't send it for a week. I called left messages and finally got her again. Then my pkg showed up 2-3 days later. I was wondering if anyone else had an experience like that

eta: woooooow i just read the rest of your post. I can't believe she gave u an attitude. I had to call and call them too to figure out why was it taking a week to get my order. And them blasted people didn't even send it out. But they sure took the money

Last edited:
Wow thats just ridiculous and then they'll complain and say WE don't support black businesses. OP thank you for taking the time to share this I'll be sure to never order from them.

This is just sad. I'm sorry you had to go through all of that....and actually shocked at the effort you put forth to patronize a Black Owned Business. Thank you for trying.

Personally, I would have just requested a refund through Paypal by 7/20. I am admittedly not that patient with crappy customer service.

OP: Sorry you went through all of this. I ordered from them once with no issues almost a year ago, but will be hesitant to do so in the future.

To everyone that started or ended a sentence with a variation of these: 'this is why we don't support black owned businesses' or 'then they wonder why we don't support them'. You should be ashamed of yourselves.

Thank you, Ladies, for your supportive responses; I really appreciate them.

I freely admit to having a weakness for Black-owned businesses. A Black person could start a company selling flammable crayons and I will try to find a way to justify making a purchase.:lol:

However, I will not tolerate being treated with disregard and disdain. I refuse to put up with the second-rate crumbs from some vendor’s table just to add another product to my already obese stash. Before, I would swallow the bad service, scratch the merchant off my list, and keep the experience to myself in order to avoid offending other loyal customers. But, blind loyalty doesn’t help matters much. I had to let go of a staple DC because the creator and supplier consistently extended poor service. I just couldn’t take it any more.

I’m not an impatient, anal-retentive customer; I will place an order then sit my butt down and wait for it to arrive. As long as my purchases arrive in decent condition, I am satisfied. The one area where I will judge a merchant somewhat harshly is the manner in which they resolve difficulties and errors – if they display a flippant or blasé attitude, or treat me as if I am trying to cheat/scam them, they go straight in the garbage.

I won’t ever stop supporting BOBs, but from now on I am going to speak on my experiences as I delete them from my list. Ladies, thanks again, for seeing my POV.

Ogoma said:
OP: Sorry you went through all of this. I ordered from them once with no issues almost a year ago, but will be hesitant to do so in the future.

To everyone that started or ended a sentence with a variation of these: 'this is why we don't support black owned businesses' or 'then they wonder why we don't support them'. You should be ashamed of yourselves.

I'm sure they will wonder and will blame it on us not supporting our own. Meanwhile, we will be supporting black businesses that appreciate us :)

Sent from my HTC Evo

So whats the short story.

I tried to place an order with a BOB and got the runaround for weeks along with a funky attitude for my troubles. The only positive notes gleaned from the entire ordeal are: (1) the issuance of a speedy refund; and (2) my inability to consume the high caloric meal I had prepared for lunch.:lol:

I read the entire post and all I can say is wow. That's horrid. Here I am making sure I have my ducks in a row prior to moving forward with my business venture and believe me when I say good customer service is a MUST..... especially in this economy. There is too much competition out there and if you drop the ball, they can always go somewhere else. :nono: I can't believe she hung up in your face OP when you were trying to make a purchase. Wow @ the rudeness... that blows my mind. Bad customer relations = business killer

ETA: I just noticed My Natural Hair Store is now exclusively selling Camille Rose.

They use to carry a wide variety of the Handmade/Naturals.:sad:

What is wrong with you Ogoma? Don't you know white people never ever screw anyone over? :nono: :lol:

PJaye thank you for sharing your story. I believe in supporting Black business but the sh!t you had to deal with was just ridiculous! I'm a firm believer in speedy service and positive vendor attitudes. You shouldn't have to call to " light a fire under the a$$es" of vendors after you paid money. Being black is no excuse for half-a$$ed service, and we shouldn't settle for it.

I'll spare the details but I had a difficult experience with this vendor as well. It took me two weeks to get a partial refund from them after they sent me an incomplete order. This was a few months ago. I see they still haven't gotten it together.

I won't be purchasing from them again. I'm not gonna write off BOBs entirely though.

Sent from my iPod touch using LHCF

Back