22nd Century Natural Woman Line: Product Reviews, Tips, Techniques, Regimen . . .

YvetteWithJoy

On break
Greetings!

Have you tried (items from) the 22nd Century Natural Woman product line? Please share your thoughts!

YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/Moorevolve
Online store: http://www.moorket.com/

Possible discussion points:

What are your hair characteristics? (This helps others to better utilize your review). Natural/texlaxed/relaxed/transitioning? Low, normal, or high porosity? Curl/coil pattern of 3a, 3b, 3c, 4a, 4b, 4c, other? Etc.

What made you decide to try this line?

What products from the line do you have?

How long have you been using the products?

How do you use the products?

What is your review of the products?

Would you purchase these products again? Why or why not?

Do you have any tips or techniques to enhance the products' effectiveness/usage?

Other?

YvetteWithJoy

On break
I purchased the Detox Kit. It comes with half a bar of unscented shampoo, bentonite clay, and your preference of the regular or deep conditioner. (I chose the deep conditioner.) I also purchased the new twisting cream.

I won't trial these fully until February. I can see myself trying the soap, however, pretty soon.

So far I can say that shipping was fast. Also, customer service was responsive and courteous. All of my products came unscented, and the natural scent of the twisting cream and the conditioner is a little off-putting for me. I have a VERY strong sense of smell, though, so it may be fine. I contacted an Etsy seller to ask her about how I might scent the products with some essential oils. I will take a tablespoon of product and see what a drop of my essential oil of choice does with it.

The reviews I've seen in YouTube comments and at her online store have me excited to trial these, especially the shampoo bar. The product line's creator DEFINITELY knows how to care for and grow her hair and her children's hair. And the reported simplicity of her regimen is awesome!

I hope to return with a review near the middle or end of February, once I've been using the products for a good bit.

In the meanwhile, I'll check here and elsewhere for product usage tips and the like.

Take care!

Last edited:

YvetteWithJoy

On break
^^ Nope. :smile: Others concur. :smile:

She seems really caring and passionate.

I'm super talkative and wordy so I can empathize completely. There's also something else about the delivery that some find challenging. A few YouTube commentors have commented about the delivery. I think it is just her way and personality, because she has so much experience and knowledge.

Last edited:

Napp

Ms. Nobody

I'm super talkative and wordy so I can empathize completely. There's also something else about the delivery that some find challenging. A few YouTube commentors have commented about the delivery. I think it is just her way and personality, because she has so much experience and knowledge.

Its odd because she stresses her words strangely. I really tried to watch some videos but I can't

Vshanell

FKA Pokahontas

The way she talks tickles me lol but I find her a breath of fresh air from the other YouTube world.

YvetteWithJoy

On break
I watched one video, and the second one that auto loaded next had a cartoon version of her instead of her. I couldn't make it through it.

She definitely has a lot of videos.

SimplyLive

What are your hair characteristics? (This helps others to better utilize your review). Natural/texlaxed/relaxed/transitioning? Low, normal, or high porosity? Curl/coil pattern of 3a, 3b, 3c, 4a, 4b, 4c, other? Etc.
I am 4b/4c natural. Coarse/thick strands with low porosity.

I loved how fast her hair grew and she said it was thanks to her home made products. The deep conditioner looked really nice too. I also read some reviews saying it was amazing for 4b/4c hair.

I have used the shampoo bar, the herbal oil, shea butter, and especially the DC. Only the DC I have bought continuously.

I have used the DC for about a year. I did not repurchase the shampoo bar, felt like it like any other shampoo bar and nothing special. I bought the herbal hair oil twice, which I like but not enough for me to buy it consistently. Basically been consistently using the DC for about a year until recently.

For the DC, I use it everytime after I shampoo my hair. I try to leave it over night. I feel like it saturates more when I leave it over night.

The DC is great, but can be very difficult to fully wash out. It leaves a waxy residue on your hair if you do not wash it all out. At first, the DC would make my hair feel so soft for days, but now I feel lke the DC would make my hair feel soft for maybe like one day, then it would feel dry again. But then again, my hair is weird. Products that my hair loves eventually stops working as great as before for some reason. Also, the smell of the DC is amazing but it will linger in your hair for like two weeks. I know some people do not like constantly smelling hair product.

I wouldn't buy any of the products except for the DC and herbal oil again. I stopped buying the DC recently only because I cant afford it right now LOL! But I can see myself buying it again in the future. Maybe like once a year.

Do you have any tips or techniques to enhance the products' effectiveness/usage?
I would suggest what 22nd Century woman says in regards to the deep conditioner, and that is to leave it overnight.

Other?

beingofserenity

I loved how fast her hair grew and she said it was thanks to her home made products. The deep conditioner looked really nice too. I also read some reviews saying it was amazing for 4b/4c hair.

I have used the shampoo bar, the herbal oil, shea butter, and especially the DC. Only the DC I have bought continuously.

I have used the DC for about a year. I did not repurchase the shampoo bar, felt like it like any other shampoo bar and nothing special. I bought the herbal hair oil twice, which I like but not enough for me to buy it consistently. Basically been consistently using the DC for about a year until recently.

For the DC, I use it everytime after I shampoo my hair. I try to leave it over night. I feel like it saturates more when I leave it over night.

The DC is great, but can be very difficult to fully wash out. It leaves a waxy residue on your hair if you do not wash it all out. At first, the DC would make my hair feel so soft for days, but now I feel lke the DC would make my hair feel soft for maybe like one day, then it would feel dry again. But then again, my hair is weird. Products that my hair loves eventually stops working as great as before for some reason. Also, the smell of the DC is amazing but it will linger in your hair for like two weeks. I know some people do not like constantly smelling hair product.

I wouldn't buy any of the products except for the DC and herbal oil again. I stopped buying the DC recently only because I cant afford it right now LOL! But I can see myself buying it again in the future. Maybe like once a year.

I would suggest what 22nd Century woman says in regards to the deep conditioner, and that is to leave it overnight.

Other?

Finally! Someone else who thinks that the shampoo bar works like any other bar. I found it more drying than my chagrin valley samples, not to mention more expensive.

SimplyLive

Finally! Someone else who thinks that the shampoo bar works like any other bar. I found it more drying than my chagrin valley samples, not to mention more expensive.
At this point in my hair journey, I am going to stop buying all these expensive products where the shipping are also outrageous. I dont have the money, LOL! Right now, I'm sticking to cheapie hair products from the BSS store.

Vshanell

FKA Pokahontas
At this point in my hair journey, I am going to stop buying all these expensive products where the shipping are also outrageous. I dont have the money, LOL! Right now, I'm sticking to cheapie hair products from the BSS store.
Same here girl. I've gotten to the point where I think healthy hair and growth is less about expensive products and more about technique and a solid regimen. I'm a pj so I'll always love trying products but I can't afford all these expensive things right now, not to mention the expensive shipping like you said. I'm so glad I can get quality products in the bss now vs when I first started out and had no choice but to order online.

YvetteWithJoy

On break

I literally just used it, and I think it's amazing! :lol: I give it 98/100. But this is only my second shampoo bar to ever use.

Photo attached below with shampoo in hair:
I washed on 3-day old hair. It had very few knots but did have the typical large amount of tangles that fine, dense, 4a coily, hipo hair gets. I was able to cleanse and detangle. I was able to make it very slippery. It felt moisturizing to my hair when in.

I found the lather very satisfying, especially since I have been no/low pooing via cowashing. While in my hair, the shampoo had my curls popping. I added more shampoo and elongated a section of hair, and the section stayed elongated. As a result, SHED HAIRS were released pretty easily, and they were easier to remove than usual.

After rinse out, my hair felt very soft. As I'm sitting under the dryer to prep hair for dry application of DC, I'm not sure how to describe the state of my dry hair after using the shampoo. It is soft, feels treated/healthy, but it is definitely feeling unmoisturized. It feels super naked and thus dry. Yet it feels healthy. This dryness feels different from the dryness of stripped hair, yet dry nonetheless. DC needed, for me, for sure after initial use of the bar.

Maybe this changes after long term use. I read a lot of comments about how latter uses of the bar are great and differ from the first use. I'll see!

Thanks for the Chagrin Valley comparative mention!

Attachments

• WP_20161221_21_53_56_Pro.jpg
    WP_20161221_21_53_56_Pro.jpg
    324.9 KB · Views: 92
Last edited:

YvetteWithJoy

On break

Other?

Thank you so much for this. Tremendously helpful.

YvetteWithJoy

On break
Same here girl. I've gotten to the point where I think healthy hair and growth is less about expensive products and more about technique and a solid regimen. I'm a pj so I'll always love trying products but I can't afford all these expensive things right now, not to mention the expensive shipping like you said. I'm so glad I can get quality products in the bss now vs when I first started out and had no choice but to order online.

:yep:

I have a VERY short list of products to trial this year. I have figured out that a streamlined max hydration method works for me, and yes, technique means a lot.

I am surprised to have come to this conclusion, but I'm finding handmade/online products to be superior for my hair with the only product exception being hair masques. I wish this wasn't so, because the long shipping time and the shipping costs really bother me.

I feel my best solution is to try to find one main line so I'm only paying for shipping once and during sales.

To that end:

I plan to trial Jakeala products in January, 22nd CNW products in February, and The Mane Choice Ancient Egyptian line in March. After that, I'll compare and make a choice and purchase the line I choose pretty much exclusively, and only during sales. The rest of the time I'll shop my stash.

Annoyingly, I have a few important one-offs, such as Komaza Care's Protein Hair Strengthener. I am looking for an OTG replacement. Perhaps Colorful Neutral Protein Filler from Sally's will get the job done.

I am determined to get quality products in a financially responsible way! Lol!

Vshanell

FKA Pokahontas
:yep:

I have a VERY short list of products to trial this year. I have figured out that a streamlined max hydration method works for me, and yes, technique means a lot.

I am surprised to have come to this conclusion, but I'm finding handmade/online products to be superior for my hair with the only product exception being hair masques. I wish this wasn't so, because the long shipping time and the shipping costs really bother me.

I feel my best solution is to try to find one main line so I'm only paying for shipping once and during sales.

To that end:

I plan to trial Jakeala products in January, 22nd CNW products in February, and The Mane Choice Ancient Egyptian line in March. After that, I'll compare and make a choice and purchase the line I choose pretty much exclusively, and only during sales. The rest of the time I'll shop my stash.

Annoyingly, I have a few important one-offs, such as Komaza Care's Protein Hair Strengthener. I am looking for an OTG replacement. Perhaps Colorful Neutral Protein Filler from Sally's will get the job done.

I am determined to get quality products in a financially responsible way! Lol!
That is a good idea to find 1 good line. It's just so hard to do especially if your a pj lol. I have tried so many lines and have one-off faves from so many. I had to finally reel myself in and only order from one here and there or use Curl mart to get a variety and they do decent sales too. I think places like Curl Mart are good if you want a variety but only want to order from one place. I know a lot of people don't care for Shea Moisture but I'm thinking of making them my main line.

mayoo

Hey! I use these products!
I don't know how to write about this so I'll just use the templates you've given :)

Hair: I'm natural. 4a/4b. Not sure of porosity

On my last hair journey, I stuck to very natural products and I wanted to get back to that

Shampoo bar and deep conditioner

About a month so far

Shampoo bar-- I love it. At first I thought my hair was dry and stripped but it was actually very moisturised and very strong. Like my hair refuses to break for about 5 days after using the bar. I have no idea how but I feel like it's gonna be my key to retention. Plus my hair was never been so clean

Deep Conditioner- VEERYY OILLYYY. But it works for me. As someone else described it in another thread; it's like putting a lot of oils in your hair and then washing them out gradually every week.

Since I started my new simple regimen with these products, the health of my hair has increased so much. It doesn't break, it's very black (usually a dull brown) and also very shiny.

Yes definitely. I love them and they work for me.
I'm thinking of ordering like 10 shampoo bars and keeping them in drawers lol

Shampoo bar--If you have trouble with a flaky scalp (as I do) I'd suggest going straight to the 'heavy wash' (rubbing the bar directly on your scalp).
The shipping can be disheartening but I've washed my hair with the half-sized bar (the one included in the detox kit) about 7 times and it hasn't decreased in size at all. I'm estimating that I'll get at least 30 washes out of this bar.
I love it.

YvetteWithJoy

On break
That is a good idea to find 1 good line. It's just so hard to do especially if your a pj lol. I have tried so many lines and have one-off faves from so many. I had to finally reel myself in and only order from one here and there or use Curl mart to get a variety and they do decent sales too. I think places like Curl Mart are good if you want a variety but only want to order from one place. I know a lot of people don't care for Shea Moisture but I'm thinking of making them my main line.

Shopping at CurlMart because it's one place with many brands: Smart. :yep: I don't think I've ever ordered from there.

Regarding Shea Moisture:
I probably "believe" I dislike it more than I probably actually do. In my list of 12 or so staple and holy grail products, two Shea Moisture products made the list, and the one and only holy grail product on the list is a Shea Moisture masque.

I think if Shea Moisture made a lot of really great stylers for Type 4 hair, more people would feel they could use Shea Moisture exclusively. I like SM's ingredients, but I find that the DevaCurl Decadence product line blows Shea Moisture out of the water performance-wise for my hair.

YvetteWithJoy

On break

Hey! I use these products!
I don't know how to write about this so I'll just use the templates you've given :)

Hair: I'm natural. 4a/4b. Not sure of porosity

On my last hair journey, I stuck to very natural products and I wanted to get back to that

Shampoo bar and deep conditioner

About a month so far

Shampoo bar-- I love it. At first I thought my hair was dry and stripped but it was actually very moisturised and very strong. Like my hair refuses to break for about 5 days after using the bar. I have no idea how but I feel like it's gonna be my key to retention. Plus my hair was never been so clean

Deep Conditioner- VEERYY OILLYYY. But it works for me. As someone else described it in another thread; it's like putting a lot of oils in your hair and then washing them out gradually every week.

Since I started my new simple regimen with these products, the health of my hair has increased so much. It doesn't break, it's very black (usually a dull brown) and also very shiny.

Yes definitely. I love them and they work for me.
I'm thinking of ordering like 10 shampoo bars and keeping them in drawers lol

Shampoo bar--If you have trouble with a flaky scalp (as I do) I'd suggest going straight to the 'heavy wash' (rubbing the bar directly on your scalp).
The shipping can be disheartening but I've washed my hair with the half-sized bar (the one included in the detox kit) about 7 times and it hasn't decreased in size at all. I'm estimating that I'll get at least 30 washes out of this bar.
I love it.

Thanks so much for this. Very helpful. ETA: Your hair! It's beautiful!

What does you conditioner smell like? The Detox kit came with a conditioner, and it smells like my grandpa's car's ashtray. I like to saturate my hair with product in sections, and the way this DC spreads, I can't see myself even getting 3 uses out of it. I know I'm heavy handed with DCs but man! My holy grail SM hipo masque lasts and lasts me, and I'm heavy handed with it, too.

The DC in the kit is 8 ounces. How many ounces are in the regular DC? (I can't tell from the site, or else I'm overlooking it.)

How do you apply the DC? How many uses do you get out of it?

I'm looking at the ingredient list, thinking about shipping costs, and considering trying to figure out how to make it, if it ends up doing my hair well.

Ingredients: Shea Butter, Olive Oil, Honey, Rosemary Tea, Xantham Gum, Essential Oil Blend.

Again, many thanks. Helpful!

ETA: I'm with you regarding the shampoo bar--everything you said. :yep:

Last edited:

mayoo

Thanks so much for this. Very helpful. ETA: Your hair! It's beautiful!

What does you conditioner smell like? The Detox kit came with a conditioner, and it smells like my grandpa's car's ashtray. I like to saturate my hair with product in sections, and the way this DC spreads, I can't see myself even getting 3 uses out of it. I know I'm heavy handed with DCs but man! My holy grail SM hipo masque lasts and lasts me, and I'm heavy handed with it, too.

The DC in the kit is 8 ounces. How many ounces are in the regular DC? (I can't tell from the site, or else I'm overlooking it.)

How do you apply the DC? How many uses do you get out of it?

I'm looking at the ingredient list, thinking about shipping costs, and considering trying to figure out how to make it, if it ends up doing my hair well.

Ingredients: Shea Butter, Olive Oil, Honey, Rosemary Tea, Xantham Gum, Essential Oil Blend.

Again, many thanks. Helpful!

ETA: I'm with you regarding the shampoo bar--everything you said. :yep:

Aww that's so nice of you! Your hair is lovely as well :)

Yeah to be honest my dc doesn't smell too great either.
It just smells like shea butter mixed with stuff to me
As long as I wash it out enough the smell doesn't stay too long.

I have the 8 once deep conditioner also and I think it'll only last me about 2-3 uses as well. I just apply it all over pretty thickly as I'm kinda heavy-handed too.

I think she has a 16ounce dc as well.

Let me know if you're successful with the dc recipe!