2 Reviews: S-Curl Texturizer and Bubble Up Styling Pudding

Nonpareil

S-Curl Texturizer

Personally, I think that Luster Products needs to launch a targeted advertising campaign to spread the word about texturizing and to somehow clear up the misconceptions about S-Curl. I always though of it as a "curl" product because of the name - I had no idea it was a LYE texturizer. They should show pics of WOMEN as opposed to men, with lengthy texturized hair - this would show that it 1. Can be used by women and 2. texturized hair is not just for those that have short cuts.

Anyhoo, most talk about S-Curl here refers to their products or the stuff in the box. I didn't use the box - I have far too much hair for that. You can also purchase it in big blue 15 oz. jars that read "S-Curl Wave and Curl Creme Texturizer Regular Strength" - this is what I used - with my choice of Neutralizing Shampoo (Textures and Tones or Elucence).

S-Curl was very easy to apply - very thin and creamy - which makes it easy to see exactly what is happening to your hair as it processes - there is absolutely NO burning if done right. I left it on for 15 minutes with some smoothing and my roots have a nice S-pattern wave - it may be a little smoother and thinner than I'd like (I want to retain some bulk) - so I'll probably cut back to 10 minutes in the fast processing sections. My touched-up roots were shiny, and felt moisturized - no dryness. This one's a keeper.

Overall, I think I'll make this my official texturizer. It does exactly what it says that it will do, and it eliminates much of the fear of overprocessing. My previous texturizer (Arosci) left me with straight pieces on the second touch-up (the ends are curly, middle is kind of straight, now my roots are wavy, front section (bangs are almost straight and curly on the ends). Using this as my hair grows out should restore some consistency to the texture - I only wish I had used it the first time around.

Bubble-Up Styling Pudding:

The rumors that this is as good as Curly Pudding are false - it is BETTER than Curly Pudding! Besides the price difference ($9.99, total $16.95 with shipping, vs. $28), you also get more for your money because you get a bigger tub.

First the cons: There are only 2 places to order from - Afroworld (it's not on the site, you must call to order), and HairforSale.com - which takes their precious time with shipping. It took me a month to receive my order. Shipping is also expensive - $6/7ish.

I tried it in Vanilla, which is touted to work for all hair colors. I never apply gel type products directly to my hair - I always use a leave-in first to act as a buffer. I applied it in the shower while my hair was still wet (I apply my leave-in then and squeeze out the extra water) using the same globbing methods recommended for the Curly Pudding. Unlike CP, Bubble Up has no overpowering "Essence of Grape Children's Chewable Tylenol" smell, in fact, it has no smell (I only smelled my leave-in). And unlike CP, BU disappears effortlessly into your hair, instead of leaving a white or greyish cast) which enables you to leave home with wet hair. It is the same consistency as CP - a thick pudding. It feels nice and smooth when you rub it between your hands - you can tell some oil has been added to this product.

I did not like CP, because my hair felt parched and dirty when it dried - imagine what your hair would feel like if you mixed styling gel with talcum powder or dirt - yeah, that type of feel. When I washed it out, my hair felt "stripped" like I used a drying shampoo - Not so with BU. Upon drying my hair, the BU made my hair feel set but soft - it had a lot of shine too. I had exactly the same curl definition and results as CP, but without the dryness. I was even able to apply an additional gob to my dry hair without any obvious buildup or adverse effects. I give this a perfect 10.

sassygirl125

Professional PJ
I like the Bubble Up better than the CP, too. But mine dries kinda hard. Maybe I use too much. I'm very "generous" with my application...

buffalosoldier

I have used s-curl regular for the last 6 years and I really like the results.

I think its better to use the box cos they provide neutralising shampoo and there is more than enough product esp if you are only putting it on the new growth.

RushGirl

#1 PARTY GIRL
WOW what a great review.. this Bubble Up stuff sounds awesome and the ingredients look good!..they are posted in a thread on the exchange board..

I was dying to try that CP..not anymore! :lol: Thanks for eventually saving me some $$! :D