12 Hours Later: My hair is STILL WET/DAMP!!!

PaperClip

Wwwwhhhhhhyyyyy????

I condition washed this morning and styled. I was kind of heavy handed with the Fantasia IC gel. But it's still really damp at the roots, where the gel didn't even get to. In the cooler months, I know it takes longer to dry (I really don't like going out with wet hair in the cooler months). But it's still damp. I don't understand this.

Please help with some kind of explanation.

Some days my hair doesn't dry all the way through, but I figured that was because I usually have it in a bun. I figured that this was o.k for it not to dry thoroughly.

My hair takes much longer to airdry (in rollersets) when the humidity outside is very high, like when it's raining. I try to avoid airdrying on those days or start airdrying much earlier.

RelaxerRehab said:
Wwwwhhhhhhyyyyy????

I condition washed this morning and styled. I was kind of heavy handed with the Fantasia IC gel. But it's still really damp at the roots, where the gel didn't even get to. In the cooler months, I know it takes longer to dry (I really don't like going out with wet hair in the cooler months). But it's still damp. I don't understand this.

Please help with some kind of explanation.

I'm a life long victim of wet head. It's the hair type. My hair can take as long as a day to dry. I'm used to it, but I find that the more loose the style I airdry in, the less time. I also noticed that the more product I have, the longer the dry time.

One way to help speed the dry time is to tie my hair in a silk scarf. Not satin, but silk. The natural fiber gently "wicks" away some excess moisture.

RR my hair takes that long and longer to dry as well. When I don't want it to take long to dry completely I simply use a diffuser on the roots and pull down so it will stretch.

firecracker said:
RR my hair takes that long and longer to dry as well. When I don't want it to take long to dry completely I simply use a diffuser on the roots and pull down so it will stretch.

Firecracker, how to do this? Pull down the roots? Just want to get a sense of technique....

If you use a lot of product it will take forever and a day to dry. I had to stop using that Fantasia gel because it was really thick and heavy and took way too long to dry. This may be why your hair is taking so long to dry.

Just concentrate on drying the roots but still pull on the rest of the hair in a downward or outward motion to stretch the curl. I got that from Ms Jessies instructions. :grin: It also helps to shape my curly hair style.

Fantasia clear IC gel is what stopped my hair from being so dry overall. Like Pokahontas said you could try applying less if you want it to dry faster. I have to have something heavy to tame my curls.

Last edited:
firecracker said:
Just concentrate on drying the roots but still pull on the rest of the hair in a downward or outward motion to stretch the curl. I got that from Ms Jessies instructions. :grin: It also helps to shape my curly hair style.

Ok...but pull on it with my fingers? A comb? Huh? :lol: :spinning:

My hair can take forever to dry. I personally don't mind it too much though as it hasn't seemed to harm my hair any.

It'll dry if I rollerset it (which isn't too often) and use lottabody setting lotion.

Otherwise I just stick it in a bun and do what I need to do.

-A

Pokahontas said:
If you use a lot of product it will take forever and a day to dry. I had to stop using that Fantasia gel because it was really thick and heavy and took way too long to dry. This may be why your hair is taking so long to dry.
I agree with Pokahontas.
I remember doing a shake n go with Fantasia Thick N Shine Gel and my hair stayed wet almost the whole day. Some areas of my hair were floppy while other areas were shrunken.This never happened to me before until I used that gel. Never again will I use that gel for a shake n go.

Aint it also a good thing that it takes long to dry, doesn't that mean your hair isn't porous or damaged.

I agree! It's the gel! Whenever I wear my hair in a phony pony, it never dries right in the center. Even days later it's still wet. I just try and take it off at night so it can dry while I'm sleep. The rest of my hair is dry by the afternoon though. My hair is thin though. It dried fast when I was relaxed too.

Thanks, y'all for the responses.... I'm following in that the gel works great for laying down the hair, but not for shake and gos....

Poohbear, I definitely get the floppy/shrunken combo and I didn't understand why....

So now it looks like I need to find a styling product(?) to use after the leave-in, or a styling product that is moisturizing/conditioning enough so that I don't need to use a leave-in....

Thanks for helping me think out loud so I can finally find a product/routine combo that works for me.

Back