100% Human Hair...riiiiight

Lorraine

I recall the days of dipping into the beauty supply store (in a hat and dark sunglasses!!!) and purchasing what I thought was 100% Human Hair, according to the package (which looked like it had been opened already).

My question is...how many of you think that it's 100% Human Hair? From what I've read, celebs are paying thousands for real tresses, and not $24.99 (the price out here in DC for one bag).

Just a question...

You can get 100% human hair for less than the celebrity price, I am thinking of Zury Ultra Yaki, and Hi Yaky off the top of my head.

[ QUOTE ]
blaxalrose said:
You can get 100% human hair for less than the celebrity price, I am thinking of Zury Ultra Yaki, and Hi Yaky off the top of my head.

[/ QUOTE ]

So ya think it's real?
confused.gif

The quality of the hair is the problem. The way it was collected also plays a role. Where the hair came from. If it has been processed, at all. If the hair is collected from one person and it has been cut all laying the same direction so the cuticle lay in same direction and not rub against each other. If it is virgin hair, (never had any chemical including color) then it is said to be better than other hair. Some say that Indian hair in the best because most is never processed and not cut until the marry, then they cut their pony tails at one time.

Other hair is sometime collected from hair that has fallen. (Meaning women with long hair collect the hair from their brushes or hair that has otherwise fallen out). When the hair is new and the cuticle is not laying in the same direction, it has a coating that is processed to make it look good. As it gets older and washed the coating wears off and it begins to look bad, it tangles and dries out.

Yeah, that Zury stuff tangles after one or two washes. Ghetto! But a friend of mine forks over 80 bucks a bag and you never see a tangle in her head. Not to mention that I thought that was her hair for about a year and a half of seeing her every other day...and I have pretty good weavedar.

My Mom wears weave all the time and I was with her a few months ago when she went to have her hair done. Her hair dresser told her that the bag has to say 100% human hair, that if it didnt, it could have synthetic hair mixed in. She told her this while telling her about another customer who complained about their weave melting when applying heat. She had to explain to the woman that it was because she bought hair that wasnt 100%. Make sure if you use weave, to buy only the 100% type.

You can burn the hair and smell it. It smells like your hair would when pressed or burnt and usually human hair will burn away and not melt. Some bags in stores I believe are open because the seller lets customers open the bag to compare the hair with their own or feel the texture. I do believe if it says 100% human hair, it is.

[ QUOTE ]
LorraineG said:
[ QUOTE ]
blaxalrose said:

[/ QUOTE ]

So ya think it's real?
confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Uhm you do know that Yaki comes off from the animal the Yak?

Also from prior hair knowledge from living up North for many years, even the 100% human hair is mixed with synthetic (depends on the company). Most REAL human hair (beter quality) will be atleast starting at $50+. Then there is the average grade which is about $20+.

A good place for buying good quality human hair is at: hisandher (I don't know if I am allowed to link, but just do a search.)

Take it from Ms. weave queen herself. Human hair is very very expensive. You would never be able to purchase real human hair on shelves in a beauty supply store. By the way, his and hers is not all human hair either.

[ QUOTE ]
blaxalrose said:
Yaki doesn't necessarily refer to the Yak animal but it refers to the process when the hair is processed to look like a perm.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not trying to prove you wrong but try dipping Yaki hair in Sea Salt water (ie: ocean water) and see what happens.

blush.gif
cool.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Wanda said:
Take it from Ms. weave queen herself. Human hair is very very expensive. You would never be able to purchase real human hair on shelves in a beauty supply store. By the way, his and hers is not all human hair either.

[/ QUOTE ]

But hisandher is surely better quality then things sold in stores. But I do agree, human hair that you see on celebs is usually in the thousand of dollars range. But for normal folks like us, better quality for us will be about $50+.

But good thing I don't have to worry about buying hair anymore since I'm natural
wink.gif

[ QUOTE ]
ChrissyinLA said:
Yeah, that Zury stuff tangles after one or two washes. Ghetto! But a friend of mine forks over 80 bucks a bag and you never see a tangle in her head. Not to mention that I thought that was her hair for about a year and a half of seeing her every other day...and I have pretty good weavedar.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL
laugh.gif

Well if I dip my relaxed in the ocean my hair would dry up and break off if I didn't wash the salt out. On another thread, I posted weave terminology. I am not saying some Yaki hair isn't synthetic, because some of the kankelon hair (which is a fiber) is referred to as Yaki. However, many brands refer to that as a texture.

[ QUOTE ]
blaxalrose said:
Well if I dip my relaxed in the ocean my hair would dry up and break off if I didn't wash the salt out.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry I should have been more clearer.

What I meant is that, if you dip "Yaki" hair in ocean water, it will dread-up automatically (within minutes). Human hair doesn't do this.

I guess the stuff I bought for $14.99 ain't human! I should have known better. It's Remy Yaky by a company called Angels... got it from the BSS.

I have heard a few times that a pack of hair doesnt have to be ALL human hair to be considered 100% Human hair. There is a set percentage of how much has to be human hair to be considered 100% Human hair.

DangerouslyShy said:
I have heard a few times that a pack of hair doesnt have to be ALL human hair to be considered 100% Human hair. There is a set percentage of how much has to be human hair to be considered 100% Human hair.

thta is crazy. i can understand if its 75% human hair, thye might claim HH on the pack. but 100% means 100%. if its not all HH, why are thye even allowed to claim that?

and here i am looking at the "human hair" tracks in the bss in nj thinking, oh, dang that's a steal for $4.99....that ain't human hair, i knew it....

i still might get me some though lol

That mess ain't human hair... I just think about all the BSS's in Philly, with walls full of "human" hair. Where is all this "human" hair coming from? I do believe there is real human hair, but I can't buy it in the BSS for $19.99 a pack.

Hair is no different than labeling on other products. Just like u can go in a grocery store and have a package of mayo say "All natural" and really be only 50% natural. Hair is no different. Only a certain percentage has to be "human" for the manufacturer to legally be able to label it as human hair. Alot of human hair at the BSS is a combo of human, synthetic and animal hair. This is one of the reasons why I no longer buy BSS hair and am strickly an un processed indian hair girl from here on out. The quality of the hair is clearly MUCH better. The only time I will buy BSS hair is to use a row of yaki to help w/blending or if I want some processed hair for braiding....

ETA: When I used to purchase BSS, Hollywood was my brand of choice. I paid somewhere around 30-50 per bag of hair. Now I purchased same length hair from indianhairs.com and am only paying about $25 per bag and that including shipping. And the hair quality is MUCH MUCH better. So I said all of that to say that price is definitely not always the determining factor. The reason stars are paying so much money for hair is b/c their suppliers know that they have the loot and will pay it :D

Last edited:
I have never thought that any hair esp yaky that I purchased at the BBs was human no way no how. Unless you consider Barbie human. :lol:

Back