1 year update with pics!! Relaxed- natural- then back again!!

Carmelella

So I started taking care of my hair ( somewhat), back in January of 2011. My hair wad breaking badly, was so over processed and never got past top of shoulder length. For about 10 YEARS my bangs never grew past my eyelid and this is without trims.

January 2011 (or dec 2010) I stopped relaxing and began transitioning.

10 months relaxer free I big chopped in 10/2011

image-1199687565.jpg

image-2706088740.jpg

14-16 months relaxer free (4-6months big chop)

image-1206700520.jpg

17-18 months relaxer free (6/2012. Right b4 relaxer)

image-1819490418.jpg

image-325727258.jpg

July 2012

image-2329168408.jpg

October 2012 after 1 trim: APL IN FRONT FINALLY!!!! 1/2 inch away in back??

image-2017857113.jpg

image-2286489558.jpg

image-1816317088.jpg

image-2654624498.jpg

Problem area. Will be braiding and avoiding relaxers here till I get more length.

image-4246017418.jpg

Planned style: braids in front, bun in back

image-4243587399.jpg

I can't wait for next year. This year has felt like a big circle with no progress b/c of the big chop, BUT my hair is in a MUCH better condition and I'm ready to go for BSL this next year! :) I actually did have a lot of retention.

I am stretching my relaxers for 4-6 months and will attempt styles with minimum manipulation. I'm on the search for a really good moisturizer and hair butter/ cream for 4b hair.

MeowMix

That's a real cute planned style. Have you tried the kimmaytube leave in as a moissturizer? As far as butters, avocado is nice.

Carmelella

MeowMix said:
That's a real cute planned style. Have you tried the kimmaytube leave in as a moissturizer? As far as butters, avocado is nice.

Thanks. :) I hope it turns out right. With the butters, does the brand matter?

janeemat

Very nice retention. But may I ask why did you relax? Your natural hair looks so thick and healthy. A good flat ironing could have gotten you that relaxed look.

Highly Favored8

Love it congratulations. I am so going to take your style in the very last picture in the cell phone. I will definitely braid my top and let my hair hang out for my birthday 2013. My hair will def. be that length by then Thank you!

Carmelella

janeemat said:
Very nice retention. But may I ask why did you relax? Your natural hair looks so thick and healthy. A good flat ironing could have gotten you that relaxed look.

I relaxed because on wash days it took FOREVER to do my hair. Washing in sections, detangling and then blow drying and flat ironing was an entire day process, very labor intensive. Also, when I flat ironed the ends would still bunch up although the rest remained straight and combing would lead to snagging. I cannot explain this. At the time I ended up with natural styles that I didn't like too much and straight styles that were just off. I bet if I stuck it out for another year it would of been more manageable. I still miss the body and volume of natural hair. So as for now I just don't relax bone straight and i will only relax every 5-6 months ( now I'm 4 mo post)

Carmelella

Highly Favored8 said:
Love it congratulations. I am so going to take your style in the very last picture in the cell phone. I will definitely braid my top and let my hair hang out for my birthday 2013. My hair will def. be that length by then Thank you!

NP. Post pics and show us how it turns out. I got busy this week so I haven't done it yet, maybe on Thursday.