Hair shedding

sweetcashew

Am I the only person who's hair is suffering this summer? I'm shedding a lot more than normal. Can the heat cause shedding? I noticed it about a month ago during a wash. So much hair came out. I wasn't using anything different, just the same regular shampoos and conditioners.
I mean I know that hair must come out, it can't stay on my head forever but this is freaking me out a bit. Maybe I'm just more sensitive to it now because I think that last year it was doing the same thing.
Is anyone else shedding more than normal too?

shunta

Yes yes yes! And its freaking me out, too. I know that hair has to shed but I still think that I have more shedding than usual. But the other day, someone posted on here that hair sheds more between the months of July and September. So after I read that, I didnt feel so bad.

Mom23

Add me to the list. I am starting to get depressed over this. My hair seems so much thinner than it was 2 months ago. I hate it. :( I had bloodwork done and everything came back normal so I don't know what it is. I had a baby 9 months ago and went through a bad shedding phase when she was 3 months, so I don't think this is post partum shedding. I am at a loss as to what to do. I just hope it gets better soon. :cry3:

joyous

I've been shedding like crazy for the last 3 months. Although it has subsided substantially it hasn't completely stopped. In the beginning I was scared to wash my hair, now I'm not so freaked out. I know it'll stop eventually but it scared me initially because I've never shed like this before, only during postpartum.

JustKiya

My hair grows faster in the summer, and it sheds more in the summer too - I think it's just part of the natural cycle our hair goes through.

*smiles* I get excited when I see more shed hairs, cuz I KNOW that means my hair is about to leap 3/4 of an inch.....

Arcadian

I seem to shed more during the spring and fall. I feel personally that its a must to check your growth patterns so that you know when you'll be shedding the most/least, and you'll be prepared to know what you need to do during that time.

When I know I'm in a shedding phase, I don't let it get me down, I just baby my hair through it. When nature and genetics decides its time for that hair to shed, there's not a heck of a lot we can do about that, and freaking out dosen't really help either.

For me, I shed most during the spring and fall. I get more hair growth in the summer, less in the winter, so I make changes to my hair routine accordingly. This is one of the things I've found that works for me, so I use it to the fullest advantage.

HTH

-A

gharp001

I'm so happy to know that I'm not alone with the shedding, over the past couple of months I noticed that I'm losing long strands of hair not short or broken pieces. I have been treating my hair extra careful and my stylist said that my hair is health it's just that I'm in a shedding phase right now and it will pass.:eek:

Nice & Wavy

Whew....I thought it was just me too! My hair has been shedding something awful this past 2 months and no matter what I did to it, it shedded. I'm glad to now know that my shedding season is in the summer....thank you.

Divine_Order

Same here! I've been wearing braid outs for the past month so I don't even have to mess with it that much. So far so good!:)

FAMUDva

Y'all are reading my mind! I am having the same issue this summer! Never had this kind of shedding before LHCF! I was starting to get depressed!

FAMUDva

Y'all are reading my mind! I am having the same issue this summer! Never had this kind of shedding before LHCF! I was starting to get depressed!

Cayenne0622

I can't believe so many other people have been suffering with this. I've been researching and trying to find a way to get mine to stop. I don't have a ton of thick hair so it is especially devastating to me to lose so much hair every day. I haven't worn my hair flat ironed in about 3 weeks now so I don't really know what it looks like styled. I've been wearing it pulled back and keeping it moisturized so I was very upset when the shedding intensified over the last month. I read on another post somewhere that products with garlic usually curb shedding. It won't stop it completely because hair must shed but a couple of people posted about a product called AZ EGO Garlic treatment. They have a website but I haven't gotten the nerve to order it. I was going to go to the WholeFoods place and buy a unscented garlic oil and make up my own concoction to mix with my conditioner.

I'll let you know how it goes. :ohwell:

daoriginaldiva

Oh my goodness, both me and my sister's hair has been shedding like crazy for 3 weeks now! I am not used to shedding so often because I am one who barely shed hair at all. I don't even lose hair when I comb it so for me, it's a shock to my system!

WomanlyCharm

Oh thank goodness, I thought it was just me!!! :perplexed

I've been freaked out about my shedding for about two months now...all of a sudden, hair just started falling out, I couldn't figure out what I was doing wrong.

You know when your shower gets stopped up there's a problem! :eek: :mad:

The shedding's gotten a little better now, but I want it to just stop completely. :(

sweetcashew

Seeing that I'm not alone is a relief. I wonder if it's the extreme heat that's causing it to shed more than normal.
I read somewhere that if your hair is really long then your body will start to shed those hairs to keep you cool. Just like in animals. I don't know how true that is.
I usually don't get any hair in the comb so seeing it now is a little disconcerting to me. I know it's going to stop but until then I'm trying to manipulate it less.

MonaLisa

FAMUDva said:

So I'm not alone!!!:eek: I was just crying to my cousin last weekend, I didn't understand what da heyall was going on. Breakage...I could understand...but all these long arse strands just kept coming out...I thought I was going bald.

My cousin said she was shedding too and told me to calm it...:ohwell:

queenspence

What a relief! I was so scared because as my hair is getting long, it is constantly shedding. I never thought that heat could be a factor- I guess I have to wait it out

FAMUDva

yeah, I guess waiting it out is the only thing... I just hate that my hair isn't as thick as it once was. I really, really didn't know how great I had it! Now, I'm going to have to go on a "thicking" tirade during the fall/winter!

joyous

nappywomyn said:
My hair grows faster in the summer, and it sheds more in the summer too - I think it's just part of the natural cycle our hair goes through.

*smiles* I get excited when I see more shed hairs, cuz I KNOW that means my hair is about to leap 3/4 of an inch.....

That's the funny thing, my length has taken off even though I'm shedding. Also I thought I would have major thinning but actually my hair seems to be thicker.

dominirican

The hair shedding monster has been visiting me since this crazy summer started:eek: . I'm looking for ways to keep him off my back. He just won't leave me alone. I'm glad I'm not alone in this torment. For a minute there I thought hereditary baldness was attacking. Thanx girls for the reassurance of not being alone. Please share what works to curb the massive shedding;) .

sweetcashew

I washed this morning and the shedding was so much it was unbelievable. My scalp is doing something weird too. It's itchy and has some sort of dandruff.
My hair looks so much thinner than it use to but it's growing and I see some new hairs springing up.
I think I'm going to have to end up cutting it to about my shoulders and let it grow back out.
Gosh I hate this!

Mom23

sweetcashew said:
I washed this morning and the shedding was so much it was unbelievable. My scalp is doing something weird too. It's itchy and has some sort of dandruff.
My hair looks so much thinner than it use to but it's growing and I see some new hairs springing up.
I think I'm going to have to end up cutting it to about my shoulders and let it grow back out.
Gosh I hate this!

Me too!! Hopefully it will get better for all of us soon. :kiss:

gradygirl

Nice & Wavy said:
Whew....I thought it was just me too! My hair has been shedding something awful this past 2 months and no matter what I did to it, it shedded. I'm glad to now know that my shedding season is in the summer....thank you.
Me too:yep:

liv4life9

I am soooooo glad I am not the only one going thru this. I've started noticing that even though my hair is not breaking off at the ends, i feel like i am loosing whole strands of hair. Glad to know it's not just me!

MizaniMami

sweetcashew said:
Gosh I hate this!

NOOOOO! I don't think you need to cut it our hair, I mean YOUR hair that short.

Mines is shedding something massive too. I noticed it last night when I cowashed I had 3 times more hairs than usual. And today everytime I touch my hair I find shedded strands. We'll get through it ladies!

Candy_C

i see a lil extra too. i just keep it pinned up and forget about it tho! i haven't moisturized since tuesday and dont intend to till next tue.

its part of the seasons changes.

Niara

joyous said:
That's the funny thing, my length has taken off even though I'm shedding. Also I thought I would have major thinning but actually my hair seems to be thicker.

Me too! My shedding started last Sunday when I went to NY and was subjected to the ridiculous heat so I thought that's what it was but it hasn't stopped :eek:. Every time I style or wash I lose like 15 - 20 hairs. I literally count them and mourn for them before I throw them away. The funny thing is my scalp is itching like crazy and I have about quarter an inch of new growth already and I just had a relaxer. My hair looks and feels thicker and has more body. It's weird but I think it's growing faster than usual.

Just to be safe, I bought some garlic shampoo from the BSS (the last one!) and a fresh supply of ORS Replinishing Paks. I will also stock up on Silicon Mix when I return to NY. Don't worry ladies, we'll get through this.

sweetcashew

MizaniMami said:
NOOOOO! I don't think you need to cut it our hair, I mean YOUR hair that short.

Mines is shedding something massive too. I noticed it last night when I cowashed I had 3 times more hairs than usual. And today everytime I touch my hair I find shedded strands. We'll get through it ladies!

Girl honestly I don't want to cut it that short but if I have to I will. Today was especially a bad day for me with the shedding. It's so much. I've never seen it shed this much in my life.
We'll definitely get through this. I can't wait for this to be over.