Long Hair Care Forum
Home Rules Feature Of The Month !! SUBSCRIBE !! Reviews iSpy Blogs Groups Contact Us

Go Back   Long Hair Care Forum > Long Hair Care Forum's Discussion Boards > Hair Care Tips & Product Review Discussion

User Tag List

Old 06-20-2006, 10:19 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Default MSM PURITY TEST

Unfortunately, some well known national brand companies have been selling highly diluted MSM to their customers. One brand contained less than 3% pure MSM, while stating on their label, "The pure MSM in this product is the highest quality available." Which was probably true but what the company failed to say was that in addition to the pure MSM, the capsules contained 97% fillers.
If you have used MSM in the past without getting the health results you were hoping for, there's a good chance the product you tried was not full strength and pure. Please do not deny yourself the benefits of MSM without trying truly pure MSM.
The following is the simple way you can test your MSM for purity: Empty the contents of one capsule or one half teaspoon of MSM powder into a clear glass of water. The MSM will immediately sink to the bottom, and dissolve within a few minutes. All the contents of capsules or powder containing fillers will not sink to the bottom, and not all of the material will dissolve. You can stir it or not stir it, either way the results will be the same: the MSM will immediately sink to the bottom and dissolve and the other "stuff" will float to the top.
Granted, this test doesn't tell you exactly what is there but it will surely tell you what isn't there-pure MSM in any form will not float.

I thought this was an interesting since we're taking MSM.
Old 06-20-2006, 10:41 AM

Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Re: MSM PURITY TEST

Hi, I am a newbie here but have been lurking for years. I just tried this test with the Vitamin Shoppe MSM1000. I dumped the capsule into a cup of water and it did float on the top. When I went back to check about 10 minutes later, most of dissolved or went to the bottom but there are a few particles remaining on top.
Old 06-20-2006, 11:26 AM

Thanked 2,244 Times in 521 Posts
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 19 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempest_Blaze
Hi, I am a newbie here but have been lurking for years. I just tried this test with the Vitamin Shoppe MSM1000. I dumped the capsule into a cup of water and it did float on the top. When I went back to check about 10 minutes later, most of dissolved or went to the bottom but there are a few particles remaining on top.

I did it with Vitamin Shoppe powder and it sunk immediately and mostly dissolve in a few seconds. I stirred the rest just to loosen up the powder and it completely dissolved except for a few remaining particles.

I heard that for something things you can declare a 100% pure if you are a certain percent less than 100. For example meat, patties, sausages . . . you can say legally say 100% chicken or 100% beef although its only 97% and this is approved by the FDA and MSM is not so I imagine they can say 100% to just about anything.

Sad really
Old 06-20-2006, 11:38 AM

I knew I needed to get the powder ! I just tried this test with my 99.9% pure MSM by TriMedica. It just layed on the water !!! I stirred it and basically half dropped and half is still floating on top !! I am so disappointed but thank you so much for posting this thread so we can all be sure we are using the REAL thing.
Old 06-20-2006, 11:44 AM

Thanked 22,346 Times in 3,489 Posts
Mentioned: 138 Post(s)
Tagged: 41 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catina72
I knew I needed to get the powder ! I just tried this test with my 99.9% pure MSM by TriMedica. It just layed on the water !!! I stirred it and basically half dropped and half is still floating on top !! I am so disappointed but thank you so much for posting this thread so we can all be sure we are using the REAL thing.
WHAT?!?! I am so disappointed in that! TriMedica goes to great pains to claim it's 99.9% purity!
Old 06-20-2006, 11:51 AM

Thanked 23,926 Times in 5,480 Posts
Mentioned: 512 Post(s)
Tagged: 20 Thread(s)

Quote:

WHAAAT??? I use the Trimedica brand of Pure msm now, and I did the sink test long time ago. Mine sunk to the bottom!

Are they packaging different brands with the same name label on front?? Because I've heard that the Vitamin Shoppe brand works really WELL for some people. But then others say it doesn't pass the "sink test".

I'm getting so confused! I just want a brand that will be "PURE" so that I can stick to it PLEASE! Right now I'm really confused. HOw do we know for sure any of this stuff is pure?

PS-Does anyone else's msm powder clump up? MY last order of Pure MSM by Trimedica is all clumpy and hard. When I stir the powder around, it turns back to its powder form like normal. But I'm just worried...
Old 06-20-2006, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madamdot
I did it with Vitamin Shoppe powder and it sunk immediately and mostly dissolve in a few seconds. I stirred the rest just to loosen up the powder and it completely dissolved except for a few remaining particles.

I heard that for something things you can declare a 100% pure if you are a certain percent less than 100. For example meat, patties, sausages . . . you can say legally say 100% chicken or 100% beef although its only 97% and this is approved by the FDA and MSM is not so I imagine they can say 100% to just about anything.

Sad really
Yeah!! That's good at least the Vitamin Shoppe seems to be mostly pure. Which is why I've been having the vivid dreams! I was taking GNC before.

Staying with Vitamin shoppe!
Old 06-20-2006, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantBeCopied
WHAT?!?! I am so disappointed in that! TriMedica goes to great pains to claim it's 99.9% purity!
That's what I thought too! I guess I'll be switching to the Vitamin Shoppe brand.
Old 06-20-2006, 12:41 PM

Okay I did the test and my MSM passed. I take 1000 mg of 21st Century MSM
Old 06-20-2006, 12:59 PM

I have the trimedica brand, in powder form. It sunk to the bottom and dissolved before it hit the bottom, actually. For the young lady who's trimedica floated on top...was this a pill or was it powder? I think this test only applies to powder form. The bottle says "No heavy metals, guaranteed 99.9% pure. clinically proven" It also says "The only clinically proven MSM, no heavy metals, 3rd party tested to ensure quality" This betta be the real deal after i spent $36dollas

hey guys, i put a scoop of the msm in my hand and it kinda tingled.....uhhhh is this normal?

Last edited by Mizani_Mrs; 06-20-2006 at 01:03 PM.
Old 06-20-2006, 01:01 PM

Tagged: 2 Thread(s)

Wow great thread! I started off with vitamin shoppe and just purchased spring valley from wal-mart. I dont even like the taste of these. I will be switching back to vitamin shoppe because it looks like they have been passing the purity test.

I also don't understand why they can label something "pure" if it is not 100% pure! Also the misguiding labeling. Like how something can say 1000mcg of a vitamin on the front for instance, and when you look at the nutritional info the serving size will say 2 pills! And then total serving is like 750mcg of (vitamin listed on front) and 250mcg of "blah blah's complex." WTH???
Old 06-20-2006, 01:05 PM

Thanked 33,340 Times in 6,885 Posts
Mentioned: 957 Post(s)
Tagged: 113 Thread(s)

I use the NOW brand and it passed the test

ETA: My MSM is in crystal form. Is there a difference between the powder or the crystals? Is one better than the other? I need to restock and would like to know. TIA
Old 06-20-2006, 01:20 PM

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 25 Thread(s)

I Use New Horizons, It passed the test!

This is the reason why MSM Powder is better, it's purer than the capsules, i tried two different capsules and they done nothing for me.
Old 06-20-2006, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizani_Mrs
I have the trimedica brand, in powder form. It sunk to the bottom and dissolved before it hit the bottom, actually. For the young lady who's trimedica floated on top...was this a pill or was it powder? I think this test only applies to powder form. The bottle says "No heavy metals, guaranteed 99.9% pure. clinically proven" It also says "The only clinically proven MSM, no heavy metals, 3rd party tested to ensure quality" This betta be the real deal after i spent $36dollas

hey guys, i put a scoop of the msm in my hand and it kinda tingled.....uhhhh is this normal?
Mine was the capsule form and it says the EXACT same thing as the powder, 99.9% clinically proven, guaranteed pure, no heavy metals...
Old 06-20-2006, 01:51 PM

Catina, i think that is the reason why yours didn't dissolve is because its the capsule form. You may have a different % of MSM in yours than in mines (powder form). Can you return it and get the powder? doesn't GNC allow returns?

Quote:
Mine was the capsule form and it says the EXACT same thing as the powder, 99.9% clinically proven, guaranteed pure, no heavy metals...
Old 06-20-2006, 02:05 PM

Thanked 1,337 Times in 360 Posts
Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Tagged: 17 Thread(s)

I'm using Source Naturals MSM powder (OptiMSM). It doesn't make any specific claims about purity on the container, but it does dissolve completely
Old 06-20-2006, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizani_Mrs
Catina, i think that is the reason why yours didn't dissolve is because its the capsule form. You may have a different % of MSM in yours than in mines (powder form). Can you return it and get the powder? doesn't GNC allow returns?
I ordered my bottle from HerbalRemedies.com but I will just purchase a powder form at GNC or probably The Vitamin Shoppe, glad to know it isn't the powder form though. Don't buy capsules Ladies!!
Old 06-20-2006, 03:00 PM
On Cloud 9

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RabiaElaine
Yeah!! That's good at least the Vitamin Shoppe seems to be mostly pure. Which is why I've been having the vivid dreams! I was taking GNC before.

Same here......my VS powder sank immediately.

Taste & See
Old 06-20-2006, 03:49 PM

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

My MSM passed the test too.
I use the LifeTime Lignisul MSM powder
Old 06-20-2006, 04:02 PM

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RabiaElaine

I have been having multiple & very vivid dreams lately. This is a new side effect to me