MY HAIR DIDN'T EVEN GROW HALF AN INCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nessa

MY HAIR DIDN\'T EVEN GROW HALF AN INCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hey yall,

Okay I had these cornrows with extenstions for about a month. I am takin it out right now and so far my has hasn't grown even half an inch. Let alone an inch!!!!! And even when I touch my hair it is falling off. And My hair is just short like it has ever been. I have split ends everywhere!!!!! I have to cut all the split ends which will make my hair even shorter. And now I have to face HELL!!!!!!

My hair will never grow!!!!!!

After I take my hair out I am going to shampoo my hair and condition my hair. Then put hawaiian silky Curl Activator.

And then put oil so I can seal the mositure.

Is there anything wrong with what I am going to do right now.

PLEASE HELP ME!!!!!!!!!!!!

AnjelLuvs

Re: MY HAIR DIDN\'T EVEN GROW HALF AN INCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

girl that is the same thing I experienced in october. I had micro cornrows, and when I took them out and after washing my hair about 50% came out. but unlike you I was like I cant stand to see a spilt end so I went and cut my shoulder length hair into the halle berry swordfish style. and now my hair is past my hair tocuhing my back.

GOOD LUCK

dontspeakdefeat

Hair Coach

Make sure you do a deep conditioning Nessa. Sit under a hooded dryer for 30 minutes or longer. If you don't have one leave it one with a plastic cap and tie a towel around your head. In your situation I would use a cholestarol conditioner. This worked wonders for my hair when I had a situation similar to yours. You are doing the right thing just don't handle your hair too much and keep it as moisturized as you can. I do have to ask when you were wearing the cornrows what was your regemin? Please don't give up sometimes some peoples hair grows slower in the summer! Are you end actually split or are they uneven?

msprettyeyes

I know you are frustrated but I used to have braids for two years straight and my hair grew. But I would trim my hair before the braids and make sure my scalp was well moisturized you are not going to see results right away. You have to be patient.

pebbles

Make sure you do a protein treatment quickly, and follow that up with a moisturizing deep conditioning treatment. When I used to wear braids, that happened everytime I took them out. I'm convinced that had I known what to do before and after taking them out, I would have lost less hair. Also. some of the hair that's coming out is hair that would have shed naturally but remained trapped in the braids.

Nessa

dontspeakdefeat- I had my cornrows for a month. I didn't really have a regimen but I washed my hair once a weak and oiled my scalp every single day.My ends are really split.

Msprettyeyes-I triemed my hair a little bit though.

Pebbles- I don't know what a protein treatment is but I know what a deep conditioning treatment is though.

angelLuvbabe- thank you for the inspiration. I may might as well cut my hair too.

AnjelLuvs

if you are one of those hair persons then dont cut your hair. Me I am not into length. I am more concerned with healthy looking hair. I could cut my hair bald IF it looks right.

pebbles

A protein treatment strengthens your hair when it's weak/breaking. It should be done once every 4 to 6 weeks for regular maintenance.

Some really good ones:

Aphogee treatment for dry/damaged hair-very good! Stinks to high heaven, but get's the job done. I only use this if I'm having a lot of breakage.

Affirm 5 in 1 reconstructor is excellent too and smells so nice.

Nexxus Emergencee is also very good. Expensive, but worth it.

Always, always follow any of these products up with a good moisturizing deep conditioning treatment. Though protein is good for the hair, it can also cause dryness, so you must combat that with a good moisturizer.

KinksnCurlz

Nessa, if you do decide to cut your hair, make sure it is in a style that you can take care of yourself without too many trips to the salon. Speaking from experience, I had my hair cut into the Halle ala swordfish and could not seem to handle the style as well as my stylist did, hence the need to spend $40 per week to get it redone.
Also, our hair grows at its own pace so don't worry over not seeing any new growth in 4 weeks... come 8 weeks you might be pleasantly surprised. Just take it one day at a time and keep in mind that your hair will grow, esp. with the help of these knowledgable ladies. Keep these 3 (or 4) things in mind:

Scalp clean and free of products
Deep conditioners (every wash)/Protein Treatments (every 4 weeks)
Moisturize daily
Protective styles

KinksnCurlz

I must add about the Aphoghee Treatment, **THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT ** MAKE SURE you follow with the aphoghee balancing moisturizer and a deep moisturizing conditioner and sit under the dryer for at least 20 minutes. I made the mistake yesterday trying to rush and my hair felt sooo hard, I could hear it snapping as I combed it.

Nessa

Angelluvsbe- I am not gonna cut my hair short short. But I will cut enough to cut the split ends.

Pebbles- thank YOu I now know what it is and what it means.

CaramelHonee- Thank You. i understand. I will do all of those. After deep conditioning and cutting my ends. After a week I may perm my hair again. Then I will put cornrows back again. THen after I take my hair out of those cornrows I will get my hair sew in and I will trim my hair before that and then we will see if my hair will atleast grow an inch in two months.

dontspeakdefeat

Hair Coach

I wanted to know did you do any type of conditioning for your hair while the cornrows were in? Maybe a leave in. Also did you use any type of braidspray?

KinksnCurlz

Why do you want to relax before you put the cornrolls in? You hair will be much "weaker" due to the relaxing. I would suggest that you just put the cornrolls back in now, and leave them in for 6 weeks. Use WGO (wild growth oil) on your parts (use the spout) every other (or 3rd) day. And also, get some braid spray. TO keep your braids from looking sloppy from constant washing, put on a stocking cap, than wash them.
If you absolutely need a relaxer, wait at least 2 weeks before you but the braids in. Also, I would suggest that you wash, protein and everything before the braids and moisturize your hair before she braids it (ie. olive oil - but no so much). Ladies, correct me if I'm wrong here regarding the olive oil.

KinksnCurlz

Also, its what goes in (foods high in protein, fiber... drinking lots of water) that shows on the outside (meaning hair, skin, nails). If you have a healthy diet, and are taking care of your hair, your hair will have no choice but to grow, and healthy to boot.

sassygirl125

Professional PJ

Sorry to hear bout your hair troubles, Nessa. You got some great advice in the previous posts. I just want to add that braids aren't for everyone. My hair didn't do so great in braids. The mountains of hair that I lost when I took them out made me very nervous. And I only left them in for 3-4 weeks! It's also hard to give your hair the tlc it needs when it's all braided up. Maybe you can get some good quality moisturizers and consider another protective style while your hair grows out. The phonytail seems to work better for me than braids. Check out the "favorite leave-in" threads for moisturizer suggestions.

Nessa

Don'tspeakdefeat- I used conditioner and leave in condtioner. Than I used olive oil to mosturize my scalp. I didn't use any braid spray. Bought I already bought braid spray.

CaramelHonee- i don't know why i want to relax because if i don't there will be more breakage and the braiders will say it will be hard to braid my not permed hair. Could I use another oil, I got aficans best, ultimate herbal oil.I odn't know what a stoking cap is but I will go to the store and ask what it is and buy it. And I will eat healthy. thank you. And I will drink lots of water. Thank You. And I already bought the braid spray with no mineral oil.

Nessa

Braids are good for me sassygirl, it's just that sometimes it can leave my hair crazy. One time my hair grew an inch with it and then it got messed up I think the whole thing is because of my petty split ends. I can't even put my hair in a pony tail. Well I could but it would be a little twinny weeny one.
And I will refer to that thread.

dontspeakdefeat

Hair Coach

I just wanted to add that it is important to keep your braided strands moisturized on a daily basis. My hair is soft and moisturized after my braids are taken down if I do this on a daily basis.

Nessa

Okay I will try to do that when I have my braids in I will try that very much.

sassygirl125

Professional PJ

Try trimming your hair before you braid it.

[ QUOTE ]
the braiders will say it will be hard to braid my not permed hair.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a red flag, IMO. It bugs me. It sounds like she doesn't want to work hard... (I hope your braider isn't a relative! If she is, I apologize in advance...) I know how hard it is to find a hairstylist, but is there anyone else that can braid your hair? Does your mom go with you when you get your hair done? Is the braider gentle with you? Does she moisturize you hair when she braids it? What does her hair look like? Sorry for all the questions.

KinksnCurlz

Use any oil you feel comfortable with and that works with your hair. And if you go to a professional braider, they will not have any problem braiding your hair, perm or not. If someone tells you they can't do it, I suggest you find someone else. You can get a stocking cap at a bss. It's basically a nylon cap that you put over your head (think stockings) which will allow soap, water, etc. to get to your hair/scalp/braids but not cause you to break your hair trying to scrub and that leads to the little flyaways.

Nessa

Nope it is none of my relatives. They could braid my hair if it wasn't perm. Plus they don't want to get extra money just want to perm it easily. There are some people I can go to that can braid my hair easily. instead of some b***hes. Yes she goes with me to get my hair done. Well the bradier tries to be gentle but sometimes they braid too damnn hard.Yes all of them mosturize my hair when they braid it. I have multiple people who braid my hair. But I have gone to salon who all their hair was lookin fine. And some people just have their hair in a ponytail. But it is all good Their hair stlye are just like the average. ANd it's okay I love answerin questions.

TinyT

Okay Nessa, i just took my cornrows and braids out last week. I had them in for exactly a month. I did receive about an inch in the back, and 1/2 inch in the top. What I did was I let water run over the rows each night. I know you are thinking, yeah but what about frizzing. Well, after I let the water penetrate, then I took the worlds of curls activator and pushed it into the braided hair. I did this every night. Then I would tie them down in a doo rag. Each morning I got up, and my hair was still moist, and the hair laid down nicely.

Once a week, i would dilute shampoo and let it run between the rows, to clean the scalp. Then i would dilute conditioner and let it run on the braids. Then rinse. But i think the key for me, was the constant moisture from wetting each night, and the worlds of curls that kept the hair moist, but didn't leave build up. This was my first time ever having briads, so I am not veteran, but when my friend took my hair down, she was surprised at how soft my hair was. I was too. So try keeping the hair moist each day. Hope this helps.

Tracy

Nessa

Thank You Tracy. That is great. I should do that every day.

dontspeakdefeat

Hair Coach

Nessa please pinpoint one thing you want to do and stick to it. Consistency is also a major factor in hair care not switching back and forth from one product or regemin to the next. Find a regemin and the products that you hair loves and it will thrive and grow.

Nessa

Okay speakdefeat. That is one good factor also. I will be surely to do that. you guys already set one regimen for me.

Thank You all.

E

EgyptianSand16

nessa go to this website growafrohairlong.com it has great information about how to properly take care of your hair in braids

Country gal

Nessa,

I just started reading the thread. So I am sure people have probadly given you good advice. Braids are not secret solution to growing long hair. You have to still take care of your hair in braids. A month is not enough time to see a lot of results from wearing braids in my opinion. ALso, I never relax my hair right before braids. I always wait a few weeks becasue braiding can cause tension around your ends. Also, make sure that the stylist is not cutting the pieces of hair that are sticking out of the braid. They are actually cutting your hair when they do that.