APL 2012 Challenge

EasypeaZee

Hiii ok so I dot have much to report but I'll post a picture anyway... I've been weighing it up and keeping my hair cornrowed under my wigs... This is a picture of my hair last week after I washed it.

image-924107319.jpg

It might be a little hard to see but I'm at collar bone maybe slightly below.

Congrats to all the grads!! Cant wait to be where you are!!

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

livinthevida

WOOOOOHOOOOOO! March 31 Length Check! :grin:

Ladies here are comparison pictures of January 28 2012 to March 31 2012. I am going with today's pic as my true length as I have the wet hair and bobby pins to see how far my hair extends. The January 28 pic was just after a trim and damp you can see the curls were already reverting to its natural form :yep:

Attachments

• March31_checkin!.JPG
    March31_checkin!.JPG
    7.1 KB · Views: 39
  • Jan 28 vs March 31.JPG
    Jan 28 vs March 31.JPG
    8.6 KB · Views: 46

HauteHippie

NikkiQ said:
^^What's your reggie like now? Maybe livinthevida can help out. She's the resident hair thickening pro around here :yep:

You know, I was thinking about this earlier today. I don't have a reggie anymore. It's like I fell apart in confusion after I dyed my hair. And, honestly, I didn't know what I was doing anyway. I had a reggie when I was natural. Now, I randomly wash, condition, henna, and steam my hair. All too far apart. So, now I'm going to figure out a moisture-rich reggie for my relaxed/dyed hair.

I'm about to hit Whole Foods and "the hair store"!

diadall

livinthevida said:
WOOOOOHOOOOOO! March 31 Length Check! :grin:

Ladies here are comparison pictures of January 28 2012 to March 31 2012. I am going with today's pic as my true length as I have the wet hair and bobby pins to see how far my hair extends. The January 28 pic was just after a trim and damp you can see the curls were already reverting to its natural form :yep:

So you want APL without stretching? Because you look like you could be APL if you stretch.

livinthevida

I think I'm in this chllange LOL I'm so not good with keeping up with posting. Anyway, I THINK I made APL. I flatironed at the beginning of the month (yeah, I need to drop out of the no heat challange. I needed to dust my ends but was afraid to do so with curly hair). But I still think I'm going to wait to fully claim. My hair's a bit longer now (about 1/2 from BSB) but I wont straighten my hair until June. Here's a pic:

Very pretty GaiasDaughter24! & Congratulations! I think you are at APL!

kittenz

I still can't find my camera cord :wallbash: and I took pics on Tuesday!! Anyway my update is that I'm grazing SL in the back, I'll be here till the cows come home!

Congrats to all our graduates!! Don't forget about us, :lol:

livinthevida

Woo hoo Finally First Check in!!!

Ok I didn't make APL the way I want to make APL that is at the Armpit without have to pull my hair down. At first that disappointed me then I realized I had been feeling like my APL didn't look as long as some of the other ladies APL. SO my Goal is to be APL without having to pull my hair down. that may take all year but who cares I know it's growing.

I am happy to report my hair is so much thicker and fuller than it was just 3 months ago, I think the tea rinses are really making a wonderful difference :yep:

Keep the updates coming!!!!
WOW BlkOnyx488 you are almost at APL!

I am with you on letting the hair fall naturally at APL too. In today's length check I posted a comparison of what my hair looks like when nearly dry (Jan) and today when completely wet - totally 2 different lengths :yep:

livinthevida

I wasn't going to do a length check until late April but seeing some of you guys photos made me a little excited and i decided to take down one of my old braids (im wearing wigs ALOT) and see my progress. Well after that 2.5 inch cut in January, i've finally made it back to APL! :grin: Which tells me that if i wouldnt have gone to that stylist I could have been BSL or really close :blush:... Anyway good luck ladies!!! I cant wait to see you all progress. This is like the livest thread on LHCF by the way :lol::grin:

Congratulations IndifinableJoli! Good luck to you on making BSL!

livinthevida

^^What's your reggie like now? Maybe @livinthevida can help out. She's the resident hair thickening pro around here :yep:
Thank U NikkiQ! I am getting back to caring for my hair these past few months and have thankfully learned a great deal from all of the amazing ladies here at LHCF!

@HauteHippie please see my previous posts I just uploaded comparison pics of my thinning hair in the front on March 28! I recapped my reggie too hopefully this info helps :yep:

Oh! and that reminds me I need to go answer @blcbuty@ questions on what we will all do next on reaching APL!

livinthevida

I could do with some hair thickening info for relaxed hair too :grin:

BTW this thread feels like christmas :spinning:
@Lurkee sorry I think the other ladies can help with this one! I haven't relaxed my hair since college and we all know how that went :perplexed

...but...if you see my other posts since January I continue to keep my HHJ reggie simple with gentle scalp massages and using Organic Coconut Oil and roller setting daily with foam rollers. I switched from snap on rollers to foam rollers in February and these are much easier to sleep in with my satin pillow :drunk:

Last edited:

livinthevida

So you want APL without stretching? Because you look like you could be APL if you stretch.
diadall I do :grin: I really want my hair to fall naturally at APL with little water and possibly zero bobby pins. Such a BIG difference when our curls are dry and bounce back to their natural form compared to wet bobby pin hair :spinning:

livinthevida

Question for ladies who have checked in already:

Since seeing your progress photographed, what, if any changes will you be making to your regimen from this point on?

I think the reason for check-in's shouldn't just be to ogle at hair (although I love doing this), but to take a moment to reflect and see if what you've been doing has been working for you. Or if your progress is to your liking :)

So, what works, what doesn't, what are you thinking of changing? (products, styles, treatments, etc)

Thanks for sharing and Happy Hair Growing everyone!
Since seeing your progress photographed, what, if any changes will you be making to your regimen from this point on?
I would like to roller set my hair less. I LOVE the results yet sometimes I'd like to workout, cool rinse, and jump right into bed :yawn:

So, what works, what doesn't, what are you thinking of changing? (products, styles, treatments, etc)
What works
Keeping my HHJ simple has worked better than I thought! I have seen more progress and improvement in my hair and scalp these past few months than I have ever seen in the past several years!!! :lachen:

What doesn't work
I know from the past my hair no longer responds well to wash and go with gels. It seems happier when dry and left out to blow in the wind!

what are you thinking of changing
As the weather warms in April I'll try alternating between natural curly hair days and roller setting days (like curly Mon Wed Fri and roller set Tues Thur Sat). This will give me a break and my hair might thank me for it :lol:

The Princess

Im sitting here with Red Pimento Hair Oil on my scalp and Jamacian Black Castor Coconut Oil on my hair. I need to get up and wash this out my hair. Im not rollersetting anymore, just going to air dry in a bun.

cordei

My blackberry deleted my starting pics im so angry!!!!!

But good thing is that i have noticed about an inch since january!!!
Noticing the growth has made me happy

Only thing is i that i have my hair out now but notice theres a little shedding. Not sure if it is from swimming with my weave before i took it out or new products

Lurkee

@Lurkee sorry I think the other ladies can help with this one! I haven't relaxed my hair since college and we all know how that went :perplexed

...but...if you see my other posts since January I continue to keep my HHJ reggie simple with gentle scalp massages and using Organic Coconut Oil and roller setting daily with foam rollers. I switched from snap on rollers to foam rollers in February and these are much easier to sleep in with my satin pillow :drunk:

Yeah I love coconut oil on my hair but I have not thought of using it on my scalp. I have NJOY's sulphur mix that I use on my thin edges sporadically. I will try the foam rollers for volume but I fear it would only be at my roots and would do little to hide my thin ends while also showing length. :spinning:

AryaStarr258

I've been waiting for this all day, and now that I'm off work, here goes!

This is my starting pic, taken on Dec 17th. It's one of the many pics where I noticed (and hated!) the unevenness of my hair.

I lost about a half inch from my most recent trim this month, BUUUUT the unevenness is mostly gone, y'all!! I might have to push back my goal of APL from April to perhaps August. *shug* C'est la vie.

esi.adokowa

on my way to the salon to get straightened and cut!
I'll post before and after pictures once she's done. :grin:

so the app kept crashing when i attempted to load pictures from my iPhone...
but here they are!

trying to show where my armpits are, probably not the best shirt to wear for a length check..oh well!

anyway :grin:
i think i'm pretty close to apl even after my trim!
it feels so soft and thick.
my stylist is awesome.

there is some amazing apl-length hair in this thread.
but i hope you ladies who have graduated don't think you can just leave...
cause you can't.

apl 2012, ride or die ladies, ride or die.

livinthevida

Yeah I love coconut oil on my hair but I have not thought of using it on my scalp. I have NJOY's sulphur mix that I use on my thin edges sporadically. I will try the foam rollers for volume but I fear it would only be at my roots and would do little to hide my thin ends while also showing length. :spinning:
Lurkee try the foam rollers you may like the results! I've set my hair using the snap on and foam rollers and found the foam rollers give me better volume!

To protect your edges set rollers going forward like in the picture here you can then curl your hair over your edges. You can brush your hair forward and to the side or create a look with curly bangs :yep:

Attachments

• setrollersforward.JPG
    setrollersforward.JPG
    7 KB · Views: 36
  • curlsoveredges.jpeg
    curlsoveredges.jpeg
    7.7 KB · Views: 30

Fyne

^^What's your reggie like now? Maybe @livinthevida can help out. She's the resident hair thickening pro around here :yep:

I could do with some hair thickening info for relaxed hair too :grin:

BTW this thread feels like christmas :spinning:

I swear by daily scalp massages, cowashing and air drying for improving the thickness :yep:

It does feel like Christmas all this collective progress is inspiring, please keep it coming!

As promised progress pics......

Bun last year:

Bun today:

1 year progress: (March 1st 11 - March 1st 12)

I will get someone to take proper pics to show length tommorrow but im a good 4-6 inchs away!

livinthevida

I've been waiting for this all day, and now that I'm off work, here goes!

This is my starting pic, taken on Dec 17th. It's one of the many pics where I noticed (and hated!) the unevenness of my hair.

I lost about a half inch from my most recent trim this month, BUUUUT the unevenness is mostly gone, y'all!! I might have to push back my goal of APL from April to perhaps August. *shug* C'est la vie.
Great progress AryaStarr258! Nice trim too on the ends :)

mami2010

Well here is my update. I went ahead and straighten my hair just for you ladies! I am so proud of my hair even though it is not were I thought it would be by now. The first pic is when I cut off a lot of bleached ends from my hair May 2011. So glad I decided to cut out the damage.

Attachments

• IMG_0019.JPG
    IMG_0019.JPG
    54.4 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_6178.JPG
    IMG_6178.JPG
    29.8 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_6483.JPG
    IMG_6483.JPG
    35.5 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_6530.JPG
    IMG_6530.JPG
    33.7 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_6561.JPG
    IMG_6561.JPG
    39.5 KB · Views: 39

livinthevida

so the app kept crashing when i attempted to load pictures from my iPhone...
but here they are!

trying to show where my armpits are, probably not the best shirt to wear for a length check..oh well!

anyway :grin:
i think i'm pretty close to apl even after my trim!
it feels so soft and thick.
my stylist is awesome.

there is some amazing apl-length hair in this thread.
but i hope you ladies who have graduated don't think you can just leave...
cause you can't.

apl 2012, ride or die ladies, ride or die.
esi.adokowa you are very close to APL! It looks like you are just grazing the APL edge :)

livinthevida

Well here is my update. I went ahead and straighten my hair just for you ladies! I am so proud of my hair even though it is not were I thought it would be by now. The first pic is when I cut off a lot of bleached ends from my hair May 2011. So glad I decided to cut out the damage.
mami2010 that is great progress in just under a year! I see the most hair growth from your February picture to today! WTG!

mami2010

I have a few more pics to show. The last pic my 4 year old DD ask to take.

Attachments

• IMG_6566.JPG
    IMG_6566.JPG
    34.2 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_6570.JPG
    IMG_6570.JPG
    37.5 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_6575.JPG
    IMG_6575.JPG
    33 KB · Views: 39

bibs

I'm going to upload my pics tonight when I get home. You ladies look great!!! I can't wait to graduate!