The gift of singlehood?

Kinkyhairlady

Why is this called a gift exactly? If being single was such a gift why did God give Adam a mate? I’m really not understanding this concept. If I end up being single for the rest of my life I will not die thinking I had a gift, I will die feeling pretty sad honestly. I just don’t get it.

Ladybelle

1 Cor 7:34 The unmarried woman careth for the things of the Lord, that she may be holy both in body and in spirit: but she that is married careth for the things of the world, how she may please her husband.

Basically, when you're single you have the gift of not having to worry about anything but God and yourself. When you get married, that goes out the window - in fact, when you get married you're supposed to love & care for your husband unconditionally, it sounds fun - but it is truly a lifelong, sometimes difficult task.

Kinkyhairlady

1 Cor 7:34 The unmarried woman careth for the things of the Lord, that she may be holy both in body and in spirit: but she that is married careth for the things of the world, how she may please her husband.

Basically, when you're single you have the gift of not having to worry about anything but God and yourself. When you get married, that goes out the window - in fact, when you get married you're supposed to love & care for your husband unconditionally, it sounds fun - but it is truly a lifelong, sometimes difficult task.

But even if you are married are you not still suppose to put God first? your interpretation is not really clear to me. I don't believe anyone really truly wants to be alone for the rest of their life. we as humans are not equipped to be satisfied like that.

Ladybelle

I'm not saying you are supposed to be single the rest of your life, I'm saying how being single is supposed to be a gift, just like marriage is. Just two different types.

The bible is clear in that when you marry, you are to submit yourself to your husband as unto the Lord. Now to me, that sounds like really high priority. Who else in your life would you give that kind of priority to?

I think we are equipped to not be married, just like we are equipped to go through anything else. God equips us. We may not want to or see how we can endure, that doesn't mean it's impossible. ALL things are possible in Christ- that includes being peacefully unmarried.

Iwanthealthyhair67

We are suppose to but we don't all always do that, it's easy to get consumed with her husbands, children jobs etc., and not give the Lord what he is due...

Some women, yes some are content that it's just them and Jesus especially if they've been married before and have grown children..then they can dedicate all their time to God...

But even if you are married are you not still suppose to put God first? your interpretation is not really clear to me. I don't believe anyone really truly wants to be alone for the rest of their life. we as humans are not equipped to be satisfied like that.

AnjelLuvs

Crazy thing, I asked God just this am why is he cursing me... 30 single, feels like the last of the Mohicans amongst a vast majority of friends... Hardly , wait never really been in a relationship... I feel doomed and cursed and everything else in between...

If I had a man, I wouldn't be on this darn board, wait yea I would cuz I usually surf at work... :perplexed...

Prudent1

First of all the vast majority of people do not have this gift. If you desire a mate/ children/ etc then you do not. If the Lord has not implicitly conveyed to you that singlehood is your destiny then that does not apply to you. Those that have the gift of singleness are not sad and unhappy deprived ppl. They are not longing for a mate and children etc. I have an Aunt with this gift. So, it is a gift but in the same manner that I would like to receive live flowers on a special occasion, many other women would not. I should not down them b/c I like flowers and they don't. You cannot understand the heart and mind of another person. Just know that we are all equally precious to our Father but have subtle differences. For them it is a gift- just not for you:rosebud:.

Prudent1

Slowly losing hope...
Hon, 30 is not too old for anything unless you are abusing yourself in some way. I know you don't want to hear that and you may be comparing your life experiences to that of someone else (which never works and actually ties God's hands)but don't. God is not pleased when we compare ourselves to another in that manner. When he made you he had a plan in mind for you alone. Your walk will never look like mine. Just b/c chronologically you're a certain age does not mean you are ready for marriage and all of the hard work involved. I have thought I was rady plenty of times only to have God reveal to me some other area of my life I needed to get in order:blush:. Don't let the enemy steal your hope.:nono: You have a lot of life to live.

Guitarhero

I agree and am piggy-backing with a further explanation. But is not a gift that is considered better than the gift of marriage, which is G-d's plan for the majority of his creation. It's a gift in itself as there are many different parts of the body of Christ and that they are all important - in that sense, OP. Marriage is definitely meant to be given up to G-d and that He remain the focus. The love of the family demonstrates the love that G-d has for his creation and is the foundation of society.

Kinkyhairlady, if you wish to marry, continue to focus upon that, not singlehood and the life that that is for those called to it.

Last edited:

LifeafterLHCF

Singleness until its fully explored is a curse.I have been single for the last 6 years and for the most part of it I was so angered like God its been a minute when will I get a boo.But until recent I have been enjoying it.I can go and come as I please and don' t have to worry about baby sitters or childcare when I want to go out.

Singleness like marriage is what you make of it.To me its a time of development and growth esp if you aspire for marriage.Also I don't feel everyone who has the desire for marriage will marry..at times I feel I may never marry as it may not be in the cards for me being used.

Kinkyhairlady

I understand, I certainly don't have the gift but if God decides I don't deserve a husband I hope he does something to make me content with that life that's all I'm saying. It is so sad when you know you are living according to God's word and still you can't be blessed with a good God fearing man! I'm just venting but seriously that is how I have been feeling lately.

I also hate when people say I should be happy being single and enjoy it blah blah, I've been single for several years now and I am filled with more sadness than love. I am not even sure I know how to be in a relationship anymore cause I have just become so anti social and into my own world. I am praying though and reading the bible. I cry but If anything I know I have God. If he is all I will have I guess I can deal with that. I'll still cry cause I'm human but as I get older it will be less I think.

LifeafterLHCF

Kinkyhairlady I don't think anyone deserves anything as we all were given salvation and grace but at times the purpose God has for us that may be better served while we are single then having the responsibilities of family.Like from my research when we are married our focus is the family therefore we can't be at church everyday all day bc then we aren't taking care of what God has entrusted us with a husband and possible kiddos.Its not honorable to not care for family when your married.But as a single person your able to go to different events like a all night prayer meetings.

Until you get to the point where your happy you will never be able to enjoy your phase of life.I'm like now as much as I wanted marriage I'm in no rush anymore.If it comes it does if not oh well I'm going to live my live my life for God.When you said you are sad over happy why? I had to ask my why and I found out that I believed I was suppose to have certain things and not enjoying the freedom.I will keep you prayer my love you have just pushed me more to work in my churches singles ministry.

Kinkyhairlady

Kinkyhairlady I don't think anyone deserves anything as we all were given salvation and grace but at times the purpose God has for us that may be better served while we are single then having the responsibilities of family.Like from my research when we are married our focus is the family therefore we can't be at church everyday all day bc then we aren't taking care of what God has entrusted us with a husband and possible kiddos.Its not honorable to not care for family when your married.But as a single person your able to go to different events like a all night prayer meetings.

Until you get to the point where your happy you will never be able to enjoy your phase of life.I'm like now as much as I wanted marriage I'm in no rush anymore.If it comes it does if not oh well I'm going to live my live my life for God.When you said you are sad over happy why? I had to ask my why and I found out that I believed I was suppose to have certain things and not enjoying the freedom.I will keep you prayer my love you have just pushed me more to work in my churches singles ministry.

Thank you. I will focus on my relationship with God. He is all I have.

Iwanthealthyhair67

I'm not hearing faith in here...

Not having a husband should not be thought of as a life of doom or a curse...Mortal man can not make you complete or whole, only God can do that...

I will be 44 in a few days I've been saved for 6 years haven't had sex (of any kind) in 7-8 years, have not been on a 'date' or even spoken to a man in the same amount of time...I KNOW without a shadow of a doubt that God has not forsaken or abandoned me...I DO want to be married but if it doesn't happen I won't love God any less because of it...

Have faith and stop speaking negativity over your lives, Stop listening to what the 'world' is saying and take the time line off God...

Ask yourself this...

Am I ready for a husband?

I am not talking hormones/emotions but are you really ready for a mate???

Laela

Sidestepping the "lynch mob"
I know someone like that.. her very presence is comforting and her prayers are POWERFUL!! :blush:

We are suppose to but we don't all always do that, it's easy to get consumed with her husbands, children jobs etc., and not give the Lord what he is due...

Some women, yes some are content that it's just them and Jesus especially if they've been married before and have grown children..then they can dedicate all their time to God...

Laela

Singlehood is a gift, like any other spiritual gift, or endowment from the Holy Spirit, because it comes directly from God the Father. On singleness, Jesus told the disciples in Matthew 19:11-12

But he said unto them, All men cannot receive this saying, save they to whom it is given.
For there are some eunuchs, which were so born from their mother's womb: and there are some eunuchs, which were made eunuchs of men: and there be eunuchs, which have made themselves eunuchs for the kingdom of heaven's sake. He that is able to receive it, let him receive it.

Why is this called a gift exactly? If being single was such a gift why did God give Adam a mate? I’m really not understanding this concept. If I end up being single for the rest of my life I will not die thinking I had a gift, I will die feeling pretty sad honestly. I just don’t get it.

Raspberry

Hmm.. the Bible never refers to such a thing as the "gift of singleness," though Jesus does mention distinct groups of people who have the ability to be celibate:

For some are eunuchs because they were born that way; others were made that way by men; and others have renounced marriage because of the kingdom of heaven. The one who can accept this should accept it. Matt 19:12

A eunuch was a castrated man and is referred to both literally and figuratively in the above passage. Obviously if one cannot accept lifetime celibacy then they don't have such a gift, though of course God's grace (supernatural ability) can help us bear anything that we must.

5 cDo not deprive one another except with consent for a time, that you may give yourselves to fasting and prayer; and come together again so that dSatan does not tempt you because of your lack of self-control. 6 But I say this as a concession, enot as a commandment. 7 For fI wish that all men were even as I myself. But each one has his own gift from God, one in this manner and another in that. 8 But I say to the unmarried and to the widows: gIt is good for them if they remain even as I am; 9 but hif they cannot exercise self-control, let them marry. For it is better to marry than to burn with passion.
1 Corinthians 7:5-9:

Paul put the Kingdom above everything else in his life and from his perspective, being single allows one to pursue God's purposes with no distractions. What he said was not a commandment but his personal preference.. as stated in the passage above. But he is also practical, in that if you can't control yourself sexually (or deal with lifelong celibacy), then you need to get married.

@Kinkyhairlady No one deserves anything from the Lord according to human logic, anything we have is because of grace through Christ. God has given us the privilege of asking him in faith for our desires because we are His children and He loves to give us good gifts. As stated in the Word, God wants to grant us our desires (not just needs, but desires) according to His will.. and if we are abiding in Him our desires will purified according to His unique purposes for our lives.

So the Bible tells to make requests of God in faith, and believe that we have received the answer before we see it manifest. That's usually the hardest part for all of us..the time between the asking and the receiving is where the most testing takes place. We are also told to ask for wisdom above all things and God will give it to us generously, but we must believe that we have what we ask for.

We are admonished in the New Testament that we are to take to heart the story of the Isrealites as warnings and examples for our own lives (1 Cor 10:1-11). Their biggest sins were doubt and unbelief, which kept them from experiencing the fullness of prosperity in the promised land and fellowship with God. So they wandered in the wilderness..

There are a few areas of my life that I have been very discontented in and I've come to the understanding that I've waited unnecessarily in some areas because of doubt and unbelief.

God wants us to believe the He is absolutely good and not a withholder but a rewarder. In some places the Amplified bible defines faith as "the leaning of your entire human personality on Him in absolute trust and confidence in His power, wisdom, and goodness]"

The bible has strong words about nurturing doubt and unbelief:

But without faith it is impossible to please Him, for he who comes to God must believe that He is, and that He is a rewarder of those who diligently seek Him. Heb 11:6

For let not that man suppose that he will receive anything from the Lord; 8 he is a double-minded man, unstable in all his ways. James 1

God absolutely wants to answer our prayers :yep:. But we must do our part to continue in faith and walk in wisdom (practical things like physical and financial excellence, identifying emotional issues and character flaws, etc), and pursue spiritual maturity. God is responsible for the timing and supernatural part.

JessieLeleB

I'm glad I found this forum, recently I have been going through a up and down of being single, it has brought me closer to god but also made me really sad at the same time, I'm only 24, will be 25 in Nov and All I keep thinking is I will bring in another year Single and it does make me sad, especially when I'm at church and church events and surrounded by Married Women! Like G-d what am I doing wrong when literally all my friends are married or in relationships and I'm like where's my Mr. Right, when every Movie ends with the girl getting the guy and every Song on the Radio is singing I'm so in love!!! I know your suppose to speak positive into your life and Speak things that aren't as if the Are, be some days I get so discouraged that I keep saying the same things everyday with no Effect! I know it makes a person strong to say I'm independent and can do everything on my own, money, car, career, house, but Damn what fun is it to come home to a empty house, drive by yourself in the car and go shopping by yourself Every Day of Your Life!!! Genesis 2:18-24 G-d saw that it was not good for man to be alone so he man Woman. If this were not so it wouldn't be written! I'm just venting because its real personal to my heart right now!

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

Laela

It's not clear if Paul ever married....

He clearly was single when he addressed the Corinthians here....and we even have to be careful with this, because he's speaking in terms of being single, for the ministry's sake.

5 cDo not deprive one another except with consent for a time, that you may give yourselves to fasting and prayer; and come together again so that dSatan does not tempt you because of your lack of self-control. 6 But I say this as a concession, enot as a commandment. 7 For fI wish that all men were even as I myself. But each one has his own gift from God, one in this manner and another in that. 8 But I say to the unmarried and to the widows: gIt is good for them if they remain even as I am; 9 but hif they cannot exercise self-control, let them marry. For it is better to marry than to burn with passion.

Paul put the Kingdom above everything else in his life and from his perspective, being single allows one to pursue God's purposes with no distractions. What he said was not a commandment but his personal preference.. as stated in the passage above. But he is also practical, in that if you can't control yourself sexually (or deal with lifelong celibacy), then you need to get married.

Last edited:

Ladybelle

Hmm.. the Bible never refers to such a thing as the "gift of singleness," though Jesus does mention distinct groups of people who have the ability to be celibate:

For some are eunuchs because they were born that way; others were made that way by men; and others have renounced marriage because of the kingdom of heaven. The one who can accept this should accept it. Matt 19:12
A eunuch was a castrated man and is referred to both literally and figuratively in the above passage. Obviously if one cannot accept lifetime celibacy then they don't have such a gift, though of course God's grace (supernatural ability) can help us bear anything that we must.

@Kinkyhairlady No one deserves anything from the Lord according to human logic, anything we have is because of grace through Christ. God has given us the privilege of asking him in faith for our desires because we are His children and He loves to give us good gifts. As stated in the Word, God wants to grant us our desires (not just needs, but desires) according to His will.. and if we are abiding in Him our desires will purified according to His unique purposes for our lives.

So the Bible tells to make requests of God in faith, and believe that we have received the answer before we see it manifest. That's usually the hardest part for all of us..the time between the asking and the receiving is where the most testing takes place. We are also told to ask for wisdom above all things and God will give it to us generously, but we must believe that we have what we ask for.

We are admonished in the New Testament that we are to take to heart the story of the Isrealites as warnings and examples for our own lives (1 Cor 10:1-11). Their biggest sins were doubt and unbelief, which kept them from experiencing the fullness of prosperity in the promised land and fellowship with God. So they wandered in the wilderness..

There are a few areas of my life that I have been very discontented in and I've come to the understanding that I've waited unnecessarily in some areas because of doubt and unbelief.

God wants us to believe the He is absolutely good and not a withholder but a rewarder. In some places the Amplified bible defines faith as "the leaning of your entire human personality on Him in absolute trust and confidence in His power, wisdom, and goodness]"

The bible has strong words about nurturing doubt and unbelief:

But without faith it is impossible to please Him, for he who comes to God must believe that He is, and that He is a rewarder of those who diligently seek Him. Heb 11:6

For let not that man suppose that he will receive anything from the Lord; 8 he is a double-minded man, unstable in all his ways. James 1

God absolutely wants to answer our prayers :yep:. But we must do our part to continue in faith and walk in wisdom (practical things like physical and financial excellence, identifying emotional issues and character flaws, etc), and pursue spiritual maturity. God is responsible for the timing and supernatural part.

I don't think I ever said God said singleness was a gift. Where in the bible does it say marriage is a gift if we are being technical??

I said that being single is a gift just as being married can be (it not always is, sometimes we are so hellbent on getting married that we curse ourselves.)

Now, we all have our interpretations of scripture which is why it is important we read the bible for ourselves and seek guidance from the Holy Spirit on clear understanding of his Word.

I know the Lord for myself, and I know that being alive is a gift, being single is a gift, being married is a gift, being employed is a gift - I mean the gifts go on and on.

Or should I change the word to "BLESSING"?? That might be a better fit actually.

God also instructs us about patience, there is scripture after scripture about being patient and waiting on the Lord. Does it mean we are cursed until we get what we want? I don't think so. Nor is it a curse to be single.

Last edited:

Raspberry

It's not clear if Paul ever married....

He clearly was single when he addressed the Corinthians here....

True, definitely makes sense that he was single when he made those statements. Some have said that Paul was married at some earlier point but I never looked into that to know why they came to that conclusion.

I don't think I ever said God said singleness was a gift. Where in the bible does it say marriage is a gift if we are being technical??

I said that being single is a gift just as being married can be (it not always is, sometimes we are so hellbent on getting married that we curse ourselves.)

Now, we all have our interpretations of scripture which is why it is important we read the bible for ourselves and seek guidance from the Holy Spirit on clear understanding of his Word.

I know the Lord for myself, and I know that being alive is a gift, being single is a gift, being married is a gift, being employed is a gift - I mean the gifts go on and on.

Or should I change the word to "BLESSING"?? That might be a better fit actually.

God also instructs us about patience, there is scripture after scripture about being patient and waiting on the Lord. Does it mean we are cursed until we get what we want? I don't think so. Nor is it a curse to be single.

I think we all may be working from different definitions of the word "gift" in this discussion. I was thinking of the "gift of singleness" in the context of designated spiritual gifts; so yea, the word "blessing" is probably a better fit...

I agree that our patience is important to God, and no we are certainly not cursed because we have to wait.. rather patience is usually a test in itself (at least for me).. and sometimes we wait longer than we have to because of our own actions and/or attitudes.

BTW I wasn't addressing my entire post to you, but expounding generally by using your post as a starting point :)

Mis007

Yes you are.

PinkPebbles

I understand, I certainly don't have the gift but if God decides I don't deserve a husband I hope he does something to make me content with that life that's all I'm saying. It is so sad when you know you are living according to God's word and still you can't be blessed with a good God fearing man! I'm just venting but seriously that is how I have been feeling lately.

I also hate when people say I should be happy being single and enjoy it blah blah, I've been single for several years now and I am filled with more sadness than love. I am not even sure I know how to be in a relationship anymore cause I have just become so anti social and into my own world. I am praying though and reading the bible. I cry but If anything I know I have God. If he is all I will have I guess I can deal with that. I'll still cry cause I'm human but as I get older it will be less I think.

Kinkyhairlady -

I just wanted to give you an e-hug b/c I understand how you feel. And your feelings are valid :yep:.

I was single for awhile but currently dating someone that would hopefully lead to marriage.

You are right that it's not good for male or female to be alone. And quite frankly I'm tired of the church glorifying singleness... They spend so much time talking about being single opposed to cultivating and developing healthy relationships. And we wonder why so many Christian women are still single....

Mis007

Perhaps if you longed for God more than a husband, you would endure the season of singleness and grow stronger, look @ it as preparation.

Raspberry

Kinkyhairlady -

I just wanted to give you an e-hug b/c I understand how you feel. And your feelings are valid :yep:.

I was single for awhile but currently dating someone that would hopefully lead to marriage.

You are right that it's not good for male or female to be alone. And quite frankly I'm tired of the church glorifying singleness... They spend so much time talking about being single opposed to cultivating and developing healthy relationships. And we wonder why so many Christian women are still single....
Not only that, but why so many Christian marriages end in divorce :nono:. In the denomination I grew up in it was hammered into our heads that everyone should marry Christians but not much was said about dealing with everyday marriage issues, lifestyle compatibility, etc. The church I go to now is a lot different and addresses marriage issues head-on, which I appreciate but I know that's not a universal thing.

I also wish the church.. particularly Evangelicals, would be more proactive in helping compatiable singles meet and socialize together. Getting and staying married is an important and practical need that should be addressed as much as food pantry, hospital ministry, and so on.

I have a friend who has felt led to have monthly socials at her house.. started with women but she felt God wanted her to invite certain Christian men from church or as she encounters them. The socials have been great so far and Im' glad she's stepping out of her comfort zone to get isolated people together for wholesome fellowship.

Mis007

Singleness until its fully explored is a curse.I have been single for the last 6 years and for the most part of it I was so angered like God its been a minute when will I get a boo.But until recent I have been enjoying it.I can go and come as I please and don' t have to worry about baby sitters or childcare when I want to go out.

Singleness like marriage is what you make of it.To me its a time of development and growth esp if you aspire for marriage.Also I don't feel everyone who has the desire for marriage will marry..at times I feel I may never marry as it may not be in the cards for me being used.

I agree, a bitter pill to swallow for many.

Laela

PinkPebbles -- It's unfortunate you feel this way PinkPebbles. I'm not so sure the churches are glorifying singleness moreso than emphasizing to put God first. God should be first in our lives, married or not...

For those who choose to live a single life in Christ, the Holy Spirit will enable them; it's a gift to live that way without sexual immorality or impureness.