W"HIP" Length 2012 Challenge!

mssoconfused

Currently incorporating henna into my regimen. I will relax and straighten at the end of Dec so I will do a length check then :)

bebezazueta

ShawnC congrats on your pregnancy! I pray you have a healthy and happy one with lots of growth spurts! Hair of course

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

bebezazueta

mssoconfused I love henna. It really strengthened & thickened my hair. Make sure to increase moisture. V05 moisture milks bought the moisture back immediately. Can't wait to see your length check. HHG

vestaluv1

I'm definitely in this one!!!
I'll be back to post my details and pics at a later date. My healthy hair care journey was at a halt for a while but I've decided its time to get back on track.

mEmYSELFaNDj

I have slacked off a bit on the hair regimen due to being pregnant and tired. I have heard that you can really get a growth spurt with all the extra hormones, so I am tired but ready to take my hair to new lengths. Did anyone have a lot of growth during pregnancy or is that just a myth? Loving all the beautiful hair I see on this thread:)

I am pregnant now, coming to the end of this pregnancy Thank God!, This time around I haven't experienced a super growth spurt (although my first two pregnancies I did), But with all three of my pregnancies I have gotten tons of thickness. Something to do with hormones while you're pregnant stops your hair from shedding as much. Too bad that doesn't continue after the pregnancy is over.

So if you dont get the increase growth rate you still have a chance at getting a ridiculous amount of thickness hehe

Last edited:

blackberry815

Hi Ladies I would like to Join this challenge.. Right now I'm about three inches from Waist length.. I think I might be able to make it to whip...

A) I wash, deep condition and rollerset once a week and currently relaxing and trimming every 8 weeks. I would like to stretch to 12 weeks so I've started experimenting with braidouts and I think I might be able to make it.
B) I am just about two maybe three inches from waist length.. If I stop getting regular trims I may make it.. I'm just scared to let go of trims lol..
C) ph man.. my LHCF Hair Idols are @Toy @NJoy and @sylver2 @JJamiah @NikkiGirl @SHEANITPRO @PikiNiki @kami11213 and there are sooo many more.. I just can't remember all the names right now

Last edited:

Carrie A

I read about folks doing castor oil scalp massages on LHC so I think I might add this to my arsenal. I really want to baby my hair more this year because I am still struggling with periods of neglect. I'm trying to "treat the hair like fine silk" as we say.

JJamiah

I am happy to announce I have reached WHIP Length but I will spend 2012 trimming back my hair and keeping it healthy for the 2012 :) So I am still in this to win it!

bebezazueta

JJamiah congrats! Do you have a pic pretty please?

It's awesome you will be in maintenance next year. I'll be in maintenance mode 2013 for sure.

Smooches!

JJamiah

bebezazueta I don't. I have a sore scalp, my hair is up in a net under my knitted net hat thing. with a french net over it. I am getting it braided back up under my wig, not so tight this time and not so long leaving it in, I think 3-4 weeks is max, I am exercising and the matting is a beast :(

Lots of tangles, LOTs

Janet'

OK!! I'm down! Why not, lol!!

A) List your Reggie
*Low manipulation styling
*Deep conditioning every other wash
*Basically just letting my hair be

B) # of inches til whip or hip length

*I would say that I'm about 3 inches from Whip Length and 5 inches from HL

C) Tell us your LHCF HL goal idol

*JJamiah
*NJoy
*PikiNiki
*Pokahontas
*Candy828
*stelladata
*Mz.MoMo5235
*jupitermoon
*FlowerHair

I really could go on and on...there are so many ladies on here that inspire me!!

Last edited:

Sondice

Hi everyone :) Decided to join this challenge. I haven't been on LHCF in over a year, and Ive slacked on my hair care game in the past 6 months or so. But I ready to come back and be just as devoted to my hair as I was before.

My Reggie
- Co Wash & DC 1x a week
- Moisturize and seal nightly
- Take multivitamin, Biotin, and B Complex nightly
- Relax every 16 weeks

- Styles of choice are braid outs, flat twist outs and soon to be roller sets when I get my Salonrus dryer next month <3

I would ay that right now Im in the neighborhood of MBL so I guess 3-5 in to W"HIP" length roughly

- Really all of the ladies here that are past WL have been inspirations to be since I started my hair journey, but some that stand out in my mind are @Toy @JJamiah and taz007

Here's my pic from the last relaxer I had in August. I will post another pic when I relax again in December

Last edited:

regina07

I think I'm having a setback! I started a low-dose birth control in Sept to help control my hormones and now I'm having massive shedding! I can't tell if it's shedding caused by the change in weather or the birth control. But I do know I haven't had this much shedding since joining LHCF in June! Or maybe it's just pre-menopause/old age?

I'm taking garlic pills, 6,000 mcg biotin, Hairfinity, b-complex vitamins, MSM and doing black tea rinses after each co-wash. It's been 8 weeks and nothing is helping. I moisturize with water/glycerin daily and seal with sweet almond oil and castor oil. Other than shedding (and the frizz balls of new growth), my hair feels great.

Is there an heavy protein DC y'all recommend? 'bout ready to cut it back to APL and be done. Thankfully I see all the beautiful heads of hair here and get motivated again!

JJamiah

Sondice :bighug: Thanks so much and :welcome: Back. you will get back into the swing of things easy this time because you know the ropes :grin:

I think I'm having a setback! I started a low-dose birth control in Sept to help control my hormones and now I'm having massive shedding! I can't tell if it's shedding caused by the change in weather or the birth control. But I do know I haven't had this much shedding since joining LHCF in June! Or maybe it's just pre-menopause/old age?

I'm taking garlic pills, 6,000 mcg biotin, Hairfinity, b-complex vitamins, MSM and doing black tea rinses after each co-wash. It's been 8 weeks and nothing is helping. I moisturize with water/glycerin daily and seal with sweet almond oil and castor oil. Other than shedding (and the frizz balls of new growth), my hair feels great.

Is there an heavy protein DC y'all recommend? 'bout ready to cut it back to APL and be done. Thankfully I see all the beautiful heads of hair here and get motivated again!

Alter Ego Garlic Conditioner for Shedding :)
Dudleys DRC 28 is awesome awesome awesome :)
I need to do both next week :look:

bebezazueta

regina07 can you get another BC because some brands can cause major shedding due to a hormonal imbalance which is internal. I remember reading somewhere where a lady was experiencing shedding after giving birth and she went to a holistic doctor who prescribed her this natural stuff (sorry forgot name) to help balance her hormones and the shedding stopped. When you find out the name please come back and let is know please. HTH!

vestaluv1

Ok, I said I would be back with a pic so here it is:

Tha plan was to wait until December to relax and flat iron, but the two textures were starting to get a bit too much to handle.

As far as my regimen goes, I'll stick to what I've done since the start of my hhj:
  • I'm going to stick with wigs as a protective style 99% of the time. Under my wigs my hair will be plaited as always.
  • Moisturising and sealing daily
  • Baggying
  • Low manipulation and no combing method (unless ofcourse matting is an issue)
  • Satin caps/scarfs at night
  • Deep conditioning 1-2 times a week
  • I may start vitamins in the new year as I've noticed a heck of a lot of shedding lately
I probably have 2 to 3 inches to go to make it to w''hip'' length.

NJoy

Here I grow again!

Tha plan was to wait until December to relax and flat iron, but the two textures were starting to get a bit too much to handle.

As far as my regimen goes, I'll stick to what I've done since the start of my hhj:
  • I'm going to stick with wigs as a protective style 99% of the time. Under my wigs my hair will be plaited as always.
  • Baggying
  • I may start vitamins in the new year as I've noticed a heck of a lot of shedding lately

:thud: Girl, you are doing the dayum thang! I love it!! :clap: And what's this 2-3 inches to W'Hip thing? You're already there, mama. And that thickness is yum-my!:love5:

vestaluv1

:thud: Girl, you are doing the dayum thang! I love it!! :clap: And what's this 2-3 inches to W'Hip thing? You're already there, mama. And that thickness is yum-my!:love5:

Thanks NJoy!

I think I meant to say I have 2 to 3 inches to full W"Hip" length.
I have the V shape thing going on at the moment.

Congratulations on your hair growth too. I was away from the hair board for a while and you surprised me with the progress you had made!

regina07

JJamiah - thanks for the suggestions! I'm on the hunt:
Alter Ego Garlic Conditioner for Shedding :)
Dudleys DRC 28:)

bebezazueta WOW .... perimenopause/menopause is dayum shame. Ok, I'm on the hunt for natural hormone 'stuff' because I really don't want to give up my HJ so soon!

• Baggying

Thank you for the motivation to keep going! What a gorgeous head of hair and the color is too die for!

regina07

Thanks Ladies for the good suggestions! If the weekend is any indication, my crazy shedding may be slowing. This morning I lost 2 strands and yesterday during my co-wash and dc, I lost 5-15! No breakage either...a first since August.

What's changed? I upped my biotin intake to 30,000 mcg/day (I know! I know! it's a huge dose but it may be working), along with MSM powder in my morning shake. To combat the Pill and change of season, I need to strengthen follicles from the inside.

Garlic didn't work for me --- it's out.

Other realizations: my hair doesn't like product left on it -- no leave-in, no conditioner. Just avj/glycerin/water followed by oil (big guns: castor oil and evco. have to let wgo or almond oil go until summer)

My hair likes heat. Leaving it curly is SSK disaster. So yesterday I put it in 4 ponytails and sat under a warm dryer for 45 min to dry my roots then a light flat iron on the ends. No more mid-week co-wash unless I have time to dry.

Did a quick length check --- am full WL since Jul/Aug but my retention was poor. let's see what Dec brings.

Thanks for the advice and support!

bebezazueta

regina07 yay! I'm happy for you! I'm glad you find what works and your shedding has been diminished! Thanks for sharing your recipe for success.

MSM, biotin & silica combo worked wonders on my hair early in my journey and gave me crazy growth with minimal shedding. I will revisit this in 2012 for sure.