Long Hair Care Forum
Home Rules Feature Of The Month !! SUBSCRIBE !! Reviews iSpy Blogs Groups Contact Us

Go Back   Long Hair Care Forum > Long Hair Care Forum's Discussion Boards > Hair Care Tips & Product Review Discussion

User Tag List

Old 04-02-2011, 03:34 PM

Mentioned: 185 Post(s)
Tagged: 33 Thread(s)
Default What causes waxy hair?

Hi guys! I've missed the board a bit. It's been a while since I've posted

I was wondering, what leads to gummy /waxy hair when wet?
I literally just chelated my hair (with very diluted shampoo), so it can't be buildup. My hair feels rubbery though. I get that after I shampoo; after I do oil rinses. Any ideas?
Old 04-02-2011, 05:30 PM

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 24 Thread(s)

Do you use products with a lot of cones? For me, that causes my hair to feel gummy when wet. Clarifying usually helps. I've stopped ident cones again because I hate that feeling!

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF
The Following User Says Thank You to blessedandlucky For This Useful Post:
bb09 (04-03-2011)
Old 04-02-2011, 08:27 PM
Ready to be APL

Thanked 4,209 Times in 1,294 Posts
Mentioned: 248 Post(s)
Tagged: 21 Thread(s)
Default Re: What causes waxy hair?

chelating and clarifying are done for different reason.

A shampoo can be clarifier but not a chelator and vice versa.

Pretty much any clear shampoo can be used to clarify.

Why did you dilute your shampoo? Use it regular strength becasue you obvioulsy did not remove all of the product off your hair. Sometimes it takes 2 sudsings to remove all the product.

If your hair feels gummy it might be time for a shot of protein but be sure there is not product on your hair. Dont use a shampoo with cones
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Myjourney2009 For This Useful Post:
bb09 (04-03-2011), divachyk (04-10-2011), Embyra (04-02-2011), ryanshope (04-03-2011), Your Cheeziness (04-05-2011)
Old 04-02-2011, 08:32 PM

Thanked 2,610 Times in 810 Posts
Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Tagged: 100 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myjourney2009 View Post

Why did you dilute your shampoo? Use it regular strength becasue you obvioulsy did not remove all of the product off your hair. Sometimes it takes 2 sudsings to remove all the product.

If your hair feels gummy it might be time for a shot of protein but be sure there is not product on your hair. Dont use a shampoo with cones
I agree with the bolded.

Also, you said that your hair felt waxy after the oil rinses. What kind of oil do you use? I believe I remember reading in the oil rinse thread that a light oil should be used to do oil rinses, and that the oil should be rinsed with warm water. Did you rinse the oil with warm water?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to darlingdiva For This Useful Post:
bb09 (04-03-2011), Myjourney2009 (04-02-2011)
Old 04-03-2011, 06:04 PM

Quote:

Oh. Doesn't a chelator clarify hair as well? I diluted it (the redken cleansing cream shampoo), to avoid it stripping my hair.
I'll use it full strength next time then just to make sure everything's out
Old 04-03-2011, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darlingdiva View Post
I agree with the bolded.

Also, you said that your hair felt waxy after the oil rinses. What kind of oil do you use? I believe I remember reading in the oil rinse thread that a light oil should be used to do oil rinses, and that the oil should be rinsed with warm water. Did you rinse the oil with warm water?
Thanks for the replies. @darlingdiva @blessedandlucky @Myjourney2009
I used grapeseed oil to oil rinse.
(1)I used nexxus emergencee -which strengthened nothing.
(2)Rinsed the emergencee out, then did an oil rinse (with the grapeseed oil). (Oils) give my hair no slip.. My hair feels gummy/velcroey so it's kinda hard to apply the oils in the first place (difficult to part).
(3)Then I rinsed the oil out with hot water. Tbh it didn't rinse easily.
And used skala chocolate conditioner -it's perfect in consistency /for slip

@blessedandlucky -I don't really use cones at all. I usually shampoo, (deep) condition, then leave condish in my hair. Sometimes I oil rinse, but in general, my hair isn't easy to do, between steps (like when I have to rinse the condish or even shampoo out of my hair)
The Following User Says Thank You to bb09 For This Useful Post:
darlingdiva (04-03-2011)
Old 04-03-2011, 07:25 PM
Ready to be APL

@bb09

When using protein treatments, the hair must be super clean.

Just a regular clear shampoo shampoo (vo5 works fine)and rinse (no detangling or conditioing shampoos eithier). your hair should feel product free. My test is after I rinse my I need to be able to feel the texture of fingerprints my finger tips. If my finger tips
feel smooth on any section of my head I do a nother shampoo sessoion and focus the shampoo there.

The protein needs to fill in where the cuticle is missing or else you just wasted your time.
The Following User Says Thank You to Myjourney2009 For This Useful Post:
bb09 (04-03-2011)
Old 04-03-2011, 07:29 PM

Thanked 8,495 Times in 2,458 Posts
Mentioned: 121 Post(s)
Tagged: 10 Thread(s)

Conditioners have emulsifying waxes in them to bind the water and oil together. So they can cause build up as can styling products, oils, butters, etc. Everything you don't wash off stays in your hair and builds up over time. Use the shampoo full strength as needed. And also you might want to consider doing hot oil treatments instead of oil rinses.
The Following User Says Thank You to Tiye For This Useful Post:
bb09 (04-03-2011)
Old 04-03-2011, 08:12 PM

Thanked 6,406 Times in 2,496 Posts
Mentioned: 845 Post(s)
Tagged: 140 Thread(s)

Clarifying shampoo is just that to clarify, normal shampoo isn't made to clarify, it does have sulfates which clean but clarifying has a higher degree of detergents. Most companies try to make them now conditioning and clarifying due to the brillo feel it used to give consumers (and some still)

I would clarify with a good clarifying shampoo and use a pinch or two of baking soda leave for 2 minutes and rinse. Do this no more than twice and then proceed with your treatments and or DC.

Let us know how that goes.
The Following User Says Thank You to JJamiah For This Useful Post:
bb09 (04-03-2011)
Old 04-03-2011, 08:17 PM

Quote:
@bb09

When using protein treatments, the hair must be super clean.

Just a regular clear shampoo shampoo (vo5 works fine)and rinse (no detangling or conditioing shampoos eithier). your hair should feel product free. My test is after I rinse my I need to be able to feel the texture of fingerprints my finger tips. If my finger tips
feel smooth on any section of my head I do a nother shampoo sessoion and focus the shampoo there.

The protein needs to fill in where the cuticle is missing or else you just wasted your time.
Thanks so much. I didn't know that.
I might use the redken cleansing cream (full strength) and just leave it on for longer, cos I don't have a clear shampoo.
Old 04-03-2011, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJamiah View Post
Clarifying shampoo is just that to clarify, normal shampoo isn't made to clarify, it does have sulfates which clean but clarifying has a higher degree of detergents. Most companies try to make them now conditioning and clarifying due to the brillo feel it used to give consumers (and some still)

I would clarify with a good clarifying shampoo and use a pinch or two of baking soda leave for 2 minutes and rinse. Do this no more than twice and then proceed with your treatments and or DC.

Let us know how that goes.
Thanks JJamiah. I only used redken cleansing cream -which is a chelating sham. I don't have the bottle right here, but I think it was designed to remove mineral and product buildup. I know it says, leave on hair for 5-10 mins for excessive buildup, so I'll def leave it on my hair longer.
Myjourney2009 (04-03-2011)
Old 04-03-2011, 08:29 PM

@Tiye -thank you. I will def consider doing HOTs instead. They've worked in the past (very smooth hair when wet). Nothing gives me lasting moisture really, which is partly why I stopped doing them

Anyway, guys, should I do a hot oil treatment (oil prepoo) before clarifying? I still want clean hair, but I don't want it stripped -because it already loves to matt together and tangle
Old 04-03-2011, 09:28 PM

Thanked 2,610 Times in 810 Posts
Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Tagged: 100 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bb09 View Post
@Tiye -thank you. I will def consider doing HOTs instead. They've worked in the past (very smooth hair when wet). Nothing gives me lasting moisture really, which is partly why I stopped doing them

Anyway, guys, should I do a hot oil treatment (oil prepoo) before clarifying? I still want clean hair, but I don't want it stripped -because it already loves to matt together and tangle
In this case, I would advise against it because you don't want to add anymore build-up to your hair.

Also, I agree with JJamiah about using an actual clarifying shampoo to wash your hair.
The Following User Says Thank You to darlingdiva For This Useful Post:
bb09 (04-03-2011)
Old 04-03-2011, 09:50 PM

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)

Courtesy of http://www.diaryofahairobsession.com/?p=2640

Ever wonder what the real difference was between a clarifying shampoo and a chelating shampoo? I did. I knew that they are both used to remove ‘stuff’ from the hair but when should one be used over the other or were they interchangeable? I needed answers to those questions and I decided to do a little research which I will share here in case anyone else has the same questions.

Clarifying
Clarifying is a deep cleansing. It is the process whereby you remove buildup from the surface of the hair. Buildup includes grease, silicones, product, sebum, and dirt. Clarifying products do not always have to be labeled as such to be effective. Products with acetic acid are effective clarifying agents. Some natural products that have good clarifying properties include baking soda and vinegar (apple cider vinegar is gentler than white vinegar).

How often should you clarify? It largely depends on several factors: the amount of product you use on your hair; whether you cowash instead of shampoo; whether your regime contains a lot of silicones etc. Once a month is normally sufficient for most people but if you notice that products that worked well before unexplicably stop working the same then you’re probably due for a clarifying treatment.

Chelating
While clarifying agents removes buildup on the surface of the hair, chelating agents improve rinseability by binding with metals and minerals and removing them from the hair. Chelating agents are useful for removing the metals in hard water and minerals/chemicals of chlorine water. Chelating products typically contain EDTA
bb09 (04-03-2011), mzteaze (04-10-2011), Prudent1 (04-08-2011)
Old 04-03-2011, 10:07 PM

@ryanshope -Thank you so much. I'll have to work with what I have though, so I'll use the redken cleansing cream (chelating).. Do you know if chelating shampoos also clarify? Then I'll do an ACV final rinse -I'll use pH strips for that, just to make sure it isn't too acidic.

My other shampoos are soap based, and another has sulphates (taliah waajid black earth sham), so the redken cleansing cream might be my best bet
Old 04-03-2011, 10:45 PM
Ready to be APL

Quote:
Thanks so much. I didn't know that.
I might use the redken cleansing cream (full strength) and just leave it on for longer, cos I don't have a clear shampoo.
That sounds like a plan. I just read the directions make sure to leave on at least 10 min.

According to the instructions your redken should do the job of clariying as long as you leave it on longer.

Like another poster said add some baking soda too it as well.

If you hair is difficult to move after washing apply whatever conditioner you will be using to the ends first and allow it to sit for a minute or so to make the hair pliable. After the min or so commence to applying it to the rest of your hair in sections making sure to tiene cuidad when seperating the hair.

ACV rinses donot clarify the hair all it does in assit in bringing down the ph of the hair while wet.

Also consider washing the hair in sections. part in 4 quads and wash each section seperately and put twist it and put a clip on it to help prevent tangles. Natural and long hair does better being washed like this/

There is no way I could wash my DD's natural hair all together that is asking for tangles.

Last edited by Myjourney2009; 04-03-2011 at 11:16 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Myjourney2009 For This Useful Post:
bb09 (04-05-2011)
Old 04-03-2011, 11:20 PM

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)

Quote:
@ryanshope -Thank you so much. I'll have to work with what I have though, so I'll use the redken cleansing cream (chelating).. Do you know if chelating shampoos also clarify? Then I'll do an ACV final rinse -I'll use pH strips for that, just to make sure it isn't too acidic.

My other shampoos are soap based, and another has sulphates (taliah waajid black earth sham), so the redken cleansing cream might be my best bet

Hard to say, I would (no scientific or professional experience at all) think that the chelating shampoo removes EVERYTHING(film, mineral deposits, cones, oils) where as the clarifier removes SURFACE debris and film. So the chelating penetrates the cuticles, clarifiers don't IMO. ....
bb09 (04-05-2011)
Old 04-05-2011, 11:58 AM
Honey B. Fly

Thanked 21,219 Times in 7,275 Posts
Mentioned: 4936 Post(s)
Tagged: 158 Thread(s)

@bb09 and @darlingdiva...oil rinsing should be rinsed off with hot water rather than warm water. Made that mistake. Never again. Hot water all the way to avoid waxy and oily feel.
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/sho...d.php?t=150965
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/sho...&postcount=616
Old 04-05-2011, 04:46 PM

Quote:
That sounds like a plan. I just read the directions make sure to leave on at least 10 min.

According to the instructions your redken should do the job of clariying as long as you leave it on longer.

Like another poster said add some baking soda too it as well.

If you hair is difficult to move after washing apply whatever conditioner you will be using to the ends first and allow it to sit for a minute or so to make the hair pliable. After the min or so commence to applying it to the rest of your hair in sections making sure to tiene cuidad when seperating the hair.

ACV rinses donot clarify the hair all it does in assit in bringing down the ph of the hair while wet.

Also consider washing the hair in sections. part in 4 quads and wash each section seperately and put twist it and put a clip on it to help prevent tangles. Natural and long hair does better being washed like this/

There is no way I could wash my DD's natural hair all together that is asking for tangles.
I did that, and it helped so much.

As for the rubbery hair, I had it straight after I chelated my hair, and straight after using the nexxus emergencee as well (seeing as this time it was on clean hair -it still did nothing strengthening wise).

But that feeling (the rubberiness) went away when I applied condish (Jason sea kelp). Anyway, maybe it was just stripped hair? But the waxy feel I got after oil rinsing was definitely me not getting it all out.
Myjourney2009 (04-05-2011)
Old 04-05-2011, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by divachyk View Post
@bb09 and @darlingdiva...oil rinsing should be rinsed off with hot water rather than warm water. Made that mistake. Never again. Hot water all the way to avoid waxy and oily feel.
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/sho...d.php?t=150965
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/sho...&postcount=616
@divachyk -Thank you. I did use hot water to rinse. My hair's just difficult to part through, so I know I used a Lot of oil
divachyk (04-05-2011)