"airdrying makes my hair dry and brittle"

trackstar

Hey all,

I know I've heard others mention this on here, and this problem is the same for me. I was wondering if anyone has any helpful points or tips to this problem? I'd like to cut down on blowdrying, but whenever I airdry my ends end up crispy.

My hypothesis is that my hair is just generally VERY dry and airdrying reveals its natural dry state, whereas when I blowdry, I artificially lay the cuticle down.

In addition, other than generally adding more moisture or protein (because it is also breaking in this dry, airdried state), does anyone have any suggestions for products or techniques for proper airdrying?

NaturalBoss

What do you do with your hair before you start letting it dry??? If I were to just let my hair loose and dry, it would be dry and brittle. I braid my hair up and it's always soft.

HairLiberty

Hey jobrown!

There is no reason for your hair to be dry and brittle just because you air dried. I have found that sometimes women who say that are drying with no products in their hair. Do you do that?

To get smooth, soft results from air drying you should use the same products you would use if you were blow drying. My favorite's are CHI Silk Infusion and Redken Real Control

trackstar

Well I don't airdry with NO product, but I haven't been using the cone-y products like CHI silk infusion that I use to blow dry. I can try that next time.

I had been airdrying in a scarf or a bun with giovanni direct, an oil, and jane carter nourish and shine. My problem may be that I need to add a creamy moisturizer?

HairLiberty

Oh, I see. Yeah, it's personal choice as far as cone-y or creamy (or both). Redken Real Control is creamy, but pretty light.

HairLiberty

OMG, I'm so proud of my site's pretty logo, but it's soo huge in my signature. Do you guys know how to make is smaller?? I can't figure it out! Argh.

Carisa

My hair use to do the same thing but like blackdiamond i started drying it in braids and i use nexxus humectress (sometimes i use it as a leave in), oils, and infusium 23 and i dont have many problems doing it that way.

@HAIRLIBERTY I realy liked ur site- the quiz and suggestions for types of conditioners are great

amwcah

I apply my Cantu Shea Butter Leave In, moisturizer, and either air dry in braids or a ponytail. Otherwise, my hair would end up dry and brittle as well.

After I undo the braids, I add more moisture to defeat the dryness. Then I seal with either coconut oil or castor oil.

Supergirl

With Love & Silk
best airdrying "do's" for me:

--do use a moisturizing leave-in or some type of moisturizing cream
--do allow the hair to dry from a completely sopping wet state without towel or squeeze drying--the pull of the water weight on the hair makes it dry smoother
--do make sure the hair is detangled prior to air drying
--do comb through periodically (gently) during the air drying process
--do apply a finishing product such as an oil or moisturizer to the hair when it is nearly dry or all the way dry
--do braid, bun, roll, wrap, etc. (your choice) and scarf the hair before going to bed and it will be even smoother when you wake up

VirtuousBeauty

When you guys airdry in braids is it like 4 loose braids in your hair or more? Or shall I say are you rocking the Celie braids pretty much?

HairLiberty

@Carisa: THANK YOU! :)

@LaFemmeNaturelle & jobrown: It's not letting me upload the resized file. I'm gonna see if my fiance can fix it when he gets home. I'm just too challenged right now!

@VirtuousBeauty: Yes, girl...Celie braids, lol :yep: I cover mine with a scarf, unless I'm in hurry.

virtuenow

Problem:

Air drying had been the worse thing for my hair. My air dried hair would be bone dry, hard and sticky once it got completely dry. It didn't matter what product I put in my hair. I used everything mentioned...nexxus humectress (alone & w/coconut oil), ausie moist (alone or with coconut oil), regular shea butter & coconut oil mix (less dry, but very hard.

Whether it was Coney or creamy, my hair was hard as a rock once dried. If I try to handle it, my hair feels crispy like it will snap off to the touch. I always dry in braids, and they are everlastingly stuck together when I air dry. It is very risky when I have done this b/c my hair is basically dread locked (yes, my hair was pre-detangled). I spent hours...days unlocking my hair from the disaster of airdrying.

By the way, my porosity control was in check as well (acv rinse/roux porosity rinse, check). I researched this issue heavily- and felt comfortable w/blowdrying after every wash- b/c my hair has thrived that way. However, I was not going to be completely satisfied until I could figure out a way to air dry if I wanted to!

Solution:

About two months ago, I read someones advice on another thread here and I melted shea butter, coconut oil and castor oil into my conditioner (Lustrasilk cholesterol or Trader Joes Nourish Spa). I have close to 50% conditioner and 50% shea/oil mix. I slather it on and braid my hair just like before. However, this time my hair has airdried soft, shiny & moist. I still can't wear it as a style but I am thankful to God to see it is possible!

Last edited:

virtuenow

Hey all,

I know I've heard others mention this on here, and this problem is the same for me. I was wondering if anyone has any helpful points or tips to this problem? I'd like to cut down on blowdrying, but whenever I airdry my ends end up crispy.

My hypothesis is that my hair is just generally VERY dry and airdrying reveals its natural dry state, whereas when I blowdry, I artificially lay the cuticle down.

In addition, other than generally adding more moisture or protein (because it is also breaking in this dry, airdried state), does anyone have any suggestions for products or techniques for proper airdrying?

Wow, I really like your theory here. I never thought of it that way- but it makes sense. I could not get my cuticles to lay down for anything, that was why my hair was sticking together. Only heat could do it... Thats porous hair to the extreme for you.

HairLiberty

Problem:

Air drying had been the worse thing for my hair. My air dried hair would be bone dry, hard and sticky once it got completely dry. It didn't matter what product I put in my hair. I used everything mentioned...nexxus humectress (alone & w/coconut oil), ausie moist (alone or with coconut oil), regular shea butter & coconut oil mix (less dry, but very hard.

Whether it was Coney or creamy, my hair was hard as a rock once dried. If I try to handle it, my hair feels crispy like it will snap off to the touch. I always dry in braids, and they are everlastingly stuck together when I air dry. It is very risky when I have done this b/c my hair is basically dread locked (yes, my hair was pre-detangled). I spent hours...days unlocking my hair from the disaster of airdrying.

By the way, my porosity control was in check as well (acv rinse/roux porosity rinse, check). I researched this issue heavily- and felt comfortable w/blowdrying after every wash- b/c my hair has thrived that way. However, I was not going to be completely satisfied until I could figure out a way to air dry if I wanted to!

Solution:

About two months ago, I read someones advice on another thread here and I melted shea butter, coconut oil and castor oil into my conditioner (Lustrasilk cholesterol or Trader Joes Nourish Spa). I have close to 50% conditioner and 50% shea/oil mix. I slather it on and braid my hair just like before. However, this time my hair has airdried soft, shiny & moist. I still can't wear it as a style but I am thankful to God to see it is possible!

"Hard as a rock", "crispy", "sticky", "dreadlocked"....it sounds like you were using too much of everything you tried. I'm glad you found a combo that works though. If you know the products you are using, usually work well for others, it makes sense to check your technique before moving forward.

You said you slather on the mix and you still can't wear it as a style...maybe you should try using less and see what you think.

I know you didn't ask for my opinion :lol: - just wanted to put that out there for anyone else interested.

virtuenow

"Hard as a rock", "crispy", "sticky", "dreadlocked"....it sounds like you were using too much of everything you tried. I'm glad you found a combo that works though. If you know the products you are using, usually work well for others, it makes sense to check your technique before moving forward.

You said you slather on the mix and you still can't wear it as a style...maybe you should try using less and see what you think.

I know you didn't ask for my opinion :lol: - just wanted to put that out there for anyone else interested.

Well let me tell u, I've tried less product, more product and no product at all. My hair would always turns out the same hard, and dry. it is just the nature of my hair (very porous). The reason I don't wear it as a style is not b/c I can't - its b/c I don't like it. I cannot stretch my hair enuf for my satissfaction when I air dry. I have nearly bsl hair with more shrinkage than anyone I have seen on this board (about 90%- looks like twa).

VirtuousBeauty

Well let me tell u, I've tried less product, more product and no product at all. My hair would always turns out the same hard, and dry. it is just the nature of my hair (very porous). The reason I don't wear it as a style is not b/c I can't - its b/c I don't like it. I cannot stretch my hair enuf for my satissfaction when I air dry. I have nearly bsl hair with more shrinkage than anyone I have seen on this board (about 90%- looks like twa).

Could hardwater have also been a culprit?