Long Hair Care Forum
Home Rules Feature Of The Month !! SUBSCRIBE !! Reviews iSpy Blogs Groups Contact Us

Go Back   Long Hair Care Forum > Long Hair Care Forum's Discussion Boards > Hair Care Tips & Product Review Discussion

User Tag List

Old 12-29-2004, 03:13 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Exclamation For natural hair: how often should I use protein conditioners? Clue me in!

Okay, I'm new the whole 'natural' hair thing, as many of you may know. So I'm gonna need a little help/advice. How often should one condition with protein? Not as often as one with relaxed hair, right? How often do YOU protein condition? I was also wonderning, as I've begun to experience, natural hair has a harder time absorbing moisture than that of relaxed hair. Also, would I be able to brush again, if so, what brush would prove to be the best kind? I never brushed with my relaxed hair, but I know that since my hair a different texture, it can be treated differently and has its different needs as well. So, can you ladies help me out here. I'm just trying to find the best way to care for my hair. I've also found out that my hair has a cork-screw pattern to it. So cute! I really don't remember what my natural hair looked like 'cause I've been getting my hair relaxed since before I can remember (maybe four-years-old? somewhere aroung there). Please, clue me in here on the advice. Thanx a lot!
The Following User Says Thank You to Roselyn For This Useful Post:
lovely008 (02-10-2011)
Old 12-29-2004, 04:57 PM

Default Re: For natural hair: how often should I use protein conditioners? Clue me in!

It's hard to say, because it depends on how much your hair likes or dislikes protein. Some protein conditioners like Keraphix or Motions CPR, can be used weekly for some people. Then there are protein treatments that are not conditioners at all. Some of those are strong and should only be used every six to eight weeks tops.

My hair likes protein, so I use a hardcore treatment (Aphogee or DRC28) every 6-8 weeks and a conditioner (Keraphix) every two weeks in between.
Old 12-29-2004, 05:12 PM

Default Re: For natural hair: how often should I use protein conditioners? Clue me in!

I dont really use protein. I wonder if I should use it at all. How would I know?
Old 12-29-2004, 05:16 PM

Thanked 48,834 Times in 8,205 Posts
Mentioned: 439 Post(s)
Tagged: 41 Thread(s)

My hair dislikes a lot of protein so I don't use it. My hair is fine.
Old 12-29-2004, 05:16 PM
supersonic

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

If you want to use one regularly, I think once a month is fine. Unless you use heat a lot or constantly style/manipulate your hair, I think that will do. If you ever start to notice more breakage then definitely try it out and see if that helps.

I think you should only really use it when you feel like your hair needs to be strengthened though...otherwise moisturizing conditioners should suffice.

Aveda!
Old 12-29-2004, 05:23 PM

My hair hates protein. I would say not to use it unless you use a lot of heat to straighten it because over time, too much heat weakens your hair and the point of protein is to strengten and thicken your hair.
Old 12-29-2004, 06:06 PM

i do it once a week...i put it in with my deep conditioner which now is a mix of suave humectant and honey and olive oil and some cholesterol(hey i was experimenting lol) my protein is vo5 blueberries and cream...its not much of it in my mix...doin protein alone in the summer was not cool...

for brushes the boar bristle it doesnt tear the hair out as much and is great for smoothing

with absorbin moisture i think it will take some time for your hair and u to get used to the change of being natural...
Old 12-29-2004, 06:12 PM

Thanked 7,811 Times in 1,386 Posts
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 7 Thread(s)

Well nobody mentioned anything about brushes. I know a lot of people use brushes by Denman like D3 or D4 but as far as I know, they use it for detangling when the hair is wet only. I personally use a brush only when my hair is wet and never at any other time. I don't use protein as I have not needed any since I've been natural.
Old 12-29-2004, 07:33 PM
New Cut for '09

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)

My hair hate hard core protein treatments....aphogee,nexxus emergencee. Maybe Surge and Salerm is enough. I've had success with Aubrey GPB.
Old 12-29-2004, 07:40 PM

I've seen several people say that their hair hates protein. How do you know that your hair hates protein ... what does it do?
Old 12-29-2004, 07:54 PM

Thanked 2,061 Times in 421 Posts
Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Tagged: 98 Thread(s)

I do a protein treatment about every other week and also before and after thermal straightening. My hair seems to respond well to milk proteins so I use Aubrey GPB usually combined with coconut milk.

I save the hardcore, keratin or animal protein treatments for use after thermal straightening.

ETA: I use a boar bristle brush for smoothing down my hair when it's pulled back.
Old 12-29-2004, 08:51 PM

Thanked 1,936 Times in 750 Posts
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

My hair can't get enough protein. I use a deep conditioner {contains mild protein} at least once a week and every six weeks I use Aphogee. As a matter of fact, I just did one today along with a clear rinse. Since I've been using the hardcore protein treatments, I notice that when the 6 week mark comes around my hair is more tangly or it sheds/breaks more...that's how I know that I need the protein and that it's time for another treatment {I keep it marked on my calendar also}. My hair is fine and fragile so the treatments help keep it strong with less tangling and shedding.
Old 12-29-2004, 11:13 PM

Thanked 1,609 Times in 620 Posts
Mentioned: 103 Post(s)
Tagged: 6 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanelle
My hair can't get enough protein. I use a deep conditioner {contains mild protein} at least once a week and every six weeks I use Aphogee. As a matter of fact, I just did one today along with a clear rinse. Since I've been using the hardcore protein treatments, I notice that when the 6 week mark comes around my hair is more tangly or it sheds/breaks more...that's how I know that I need the protein and that it's time for another treatment {I keep it marked on my calendar also}. My hair is fine and fragile so the treatments help keep it strong with less tangling and shedding.

Which mild protein?
Old 12-29-2004, 11:26 PM

For the longest time, I didn't think my hair needed protein. But I was sooooo wrong. I did the omnipak two weeks ago and my hair has been scrumptious ever since (ummm except for a henna and indigo incident). I think for me, it like protein because my hair is really fine, as in small strands (especially around the edges) and protein treatments kinda shore up the strength of the individual strands.

I am devising my 2005 regime and plan on doing a heavy duty protein treatment at least once every two months and the henna and indigo treatment once every six months (maybe more often).

I might do a mild protein treatment every month.

Old 12-30-2004, 10:12 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

I rarely use protein (maybe every other month if that) so I'm not the best to give advice in that area but I like Aveda's protein conditioner when I do use it... What kind of moisturizer are you using because my hair sucks up moisture.... As far as brushes I have a Denman, I'm not sure of the model number but there is a pic of it in my original album. When brushing remember to start from your ends and move up
Old 12-30-2004, 10:16 AM

Thanked 6,559 Times in 1,485 Posts
Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)

I used the Elucence Protein conditioner last weekend. Is that considered hard core.
Old 12-30-2004, 03:56 PM

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegallySpeaking
I've seen several people say that their hair hates protein. How do you know that your hair hates protein ... what does it do?
I wondered this too.

x

4b (Z!) Natural hair since January 2005. Scandal addict! Mummy to 4, Wife to 1 http://public.fotki.com/CharleneUK - HUGE update 06.07.2013
Old 12-30-2004, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhonyBaloney500
Which mild protein?
I use Ultra Black Hair {Deep} Conditioner. Some people do not consider it a mild protein conditioner but I do because it's definitely milder than the Aphogee treatment.
Old 12-30-2004, 11:18 PM

Thanked 1,609 Times in 620 Posts
Mentioned: 103 Post(s)
Tagged: 6 Thread(s)

Thank you Lanelle!
Old 12-30-2004, 11:21 PM

No problem...