Need help...adding oil to relaxer

thesweetone

Hi Ladies,

I'm touching up my hair next Sunday and I wanted to experiment with adding oil to my relaxer (ORS Lye - regular). In some posts that I've read some ladies wrote that they experienced less (or no) burning by doing this.

My problem is that I don't know how much oil to add. I like to get my hair straight and I know adding oil might interfere with this, but I figure increasing my processing time should make up for adding oil. Can you please help me by answering the following questions? (I tried to do a search, but the search feature is not working for me).

1. If you add oil to your relaxer, how much do you add?

2. How straight are you trying to get your hair?

3. How has adding oil to your relaxer affected your hair?

TIA!

SelfStyled

I add 1-2 TBS of olive oil to my relaxer. The result for me has been no burning at all, and also hair that seems more conditioned.

Valarie1

I did this for the very first time last night! I love the results.
I added about 3 tablespoons to a half jar of relaxer. I was doing a touchup. It worked beautifully!
No burning! No "next day scabs" I know....gross but it was the story of my life especially when done in a salon.
My hair is moisturized, soft and very straight!

magviv

I did this for the very first time last night! I love the results.
I added about 3 tablespoons to a half jar of relaxer. I was doing a touchup. It worked beautifully!
No burning! No "next day scabs" I know....gross but it was the story of my life especially when done in a salon.
My hair is moisturized, soft and very straight!

ITA vjt0001, my hairdresser put 2 tbsp of grapeseed oil and 2tbsp of conditioner in my relaxer and my hair came out very soft, bouncy, and moisturized.

Valarie1

ITA vjt0001, my hairdresser put 2 tbsp of grapeseed oil and 2tbsp of conditioner in my relaxer and my hair came out very soft, bouncy, and moisturized.

Magviv....I was sooooo tempted to add conditioner but I hadn't heard about anyone doing it so I decided when in doubt....leave it out. I will definitely add it next time!

Thanks for the tip!

sareca

1. If you add oil to your relaxer, how much do you add?

1.5 tsps (I also add a tsp of protein)

2. How straight are you trying to get your hair?
Not very...

I also don't leave the relaxer on long.

3. How has adding oil to your relaxer affected your hair?

It makes it feel more moist and slows down processing so I don't have to rush.
I use Aphogee Essential Fatty Acid Concentrate. It says to add it to perms or dyes.
It also says how much to add.

trinidarkie1

Bumping! Great information. I plan on adding Avocado Oil to my relaxer, well that's all that I have.

Can I use Castor Oil?

dcprdiva

I need some more replies to this one... I am thinking about adding oil my relaxer today... I want my hair to come out bone straight.

poookie

I need some more replies to this one... I am thinking about adding oil my relaxer today... I want my hair to come out bone straight.

in that case, you might want to consider skipping the oil altogether, or drastically reducing the amount.

what i've found, is that when i add oil to my relaxers, my hair does not fully process, no matter how long i leave it on my hair. since oil is not water based, and therefore has no pH level, all it does is cover the hair follicles, and prevent the relaxer from processing all the way. while the oil does extend the time it takes to process, and is a great tool for those just learning to stretch their relaxers. however, if you want a bone straight relaxer, don't add more than a few teaspoons of oil.

i will say, thought, that when i did add oil, my hair seemed to come out softer. and though it wouldn't fully process (i'd add, on average, 4 or 5 tablespoons of either kemi, coconut, or olive oil), my new growth transformed into very defined tight waves.

skatergurljubulee

I just added three TBSP of olive oil to my Hawaiin Silky Relaxer. This was my first time using a lye relaxer AND oil, and I think it went pretty well. I based my scalp. I still had burning ( though when I say I have a sensitive scalp, I mean I use no-lye and base HEAVILY and my scalp still burns within seconds of initial application), but this was the least amount I've ever had. I was going for almost straight with a little wave, and I believe I achieved that.
HTH

apinkdiva

For you ladies that add oil to your relaxers, do you also base your scalp? Or does adding the oil eliminate that step thanks a bunch.

questionable

I have a sensitive scalp s.. and it doesn't take much for me to burn...so I still base my scalp in addition to adding oils to my relaxer. It really helps.

MahoganyJazz

I added coconut oil, macadamia nut oil, avocado oil, JBCO and shea butter to my relaxer last weekend. Though my hair didn't turn out bone straight, it feels very moisturized. I still have a few waves, but as long as my edges are slick I can handle that. Another plus is that I still have volume and didn't get that hard tacky feeling relaxers can sometimes leave.

This will definitely be a part of my relaxing routine from here on out.

myronnie

When I was relaxed, I added a capful of Olive oil to my relaxer (I used ORS Olive Oil No-Lye). I don't know if there were any benefits but it did slow the processing time.