Adding Olive Oil To Your Relaxer...

G

Has anyone ever added olive oil to their relaxer? I know alot of people who have done this report that their hair comes out very soft and moisturized. Also, adding some type of protein pack to the hair and then relaxing has made all the difference in retaining the hairs strength since chemicals eat away at the cysteine bonds in the hair. Someone told me Motions Oil Relaxer has added oils in it, which makes sense to me. This would help prevent dryness by adding moisture to the hair. Adding the olive oil accomplishes the same thing. And the added bonus is, the olive oil and protein doesn't interfere with the straightening process of the relaxer

Currently, I'm a hennaholic, but if I ever went back to relaxing, I know I would definately use as added protection, the olive oil and the protein.

iris

I got into the habit of recommending this also because any salon worth their salt knows to take precautious steps. My hair was never damaged or dry using olive oil or the protein. These ingredients enhance the relaxing process beautifully and don't impede it at all

BTW, I'm a hennaholic too. Why are you over here discussing relaxers? Are you thinking about switching up on us,...hum?

Integrity

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
iris said:
Why are you over here discussing relaxers? Are you thinking about switching up on us,...hum?

[/ QUOTE ]

G

BTW, I'm a hennaholic too. Why are you over here discussing relaxers? Are you thinking about switching up on us,...hum?

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi Iris. No I'm not thinking about switching up on you guys. I have alot of family members who relax their hair and thought it would be a good idea to post what can help those on this forum who relax also

G

Azul said:
would it be the same if you just added olive oil to your hair? God bless you all.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi Azul. Adding a protein pack to the hair prior to relaxing helps restore the cysteine bonds that were broken by the relaxing process. For moisture purposes, I would add the oil to the relaxer because personally for me, I would want the protein to attach to the hairshaft. When you relax, the cuticle is wide open, the protein link in the hair is broken and rearranged(thanks Iris
), and replacing those broken bonds would be top priority to me. I don't think adding olive oil to the hair would stop the process, but I would feel more comfortable adding the protein to my hair and the oil to the relaxer.

azul11

what's a protein pack? when you go for a touchup you base your scalp with whatever and you put the protein pack on your hair???
God bless you all.

G

Azul a protein pac is what you apply along the new growth and hairshaft. The Avlon makers of Affirm relaxers explain this process excellently. Please see THIS. Read the explanation under the "Affirm Protecto" heading.

So you base the scalp to protect it and saturate the hairshaft to protect it as well.

azul11

sorry for bothering you but is it the profecto? thats the only thing i saw along the affirm line that sounds similar to what you said. is this to be used on wet hair? i am wondering because they had it under conditioner. this is to be placed on the hair PRIOR to putting a relaxer on similar to when people base their scalp right? sorry if i am asking a lot of questions but I am trying to understand. God bless you all.

G

Here is what it says:

Affirm® Protecto

A patented organic BiocompHlex, applied along the entire hairshaft, especially to new growth area, <font color="red"> prior to relaxing.</font>

Rich, positively-charged compounds attach electronically to negative sites along the hairshaft.

Penetrates deep within the hair fiber during relaxing. (Protector® accomplishes significant conditioning at this stage because during the straightening process, the hair's pH is relatively high (13.0-13.5) and the cuticles are open wide).

Effectively repairs trichorrhexis nodosa (damaged areas along the hairshaft), resulting in a smooth realignment of damaged fibers. Flyaway split ends are repaired as well.

Eases wet combing and minimizes shedding

No base in the world is going to affect the cystine bonds in the hair, repair damaged hair or split ends, and stop shedding. This is nothing more than a protein product. If you ever read Infusiums label it does the same thing that this does for the hair.

S

Stylepink

Hi:
I'm new to this site and I just love the exchange of information found here. I live in California and want to know if anyone knows where I can get the Affirm relaxer. I'veheard great things about it and would like to try it. I currently use the Cathy Howse system and see a great improvement in the length and texture of my hair. Any info that anyone can share would be great.

Thanks and God Bless
Deeadra

G

Hi StylePink

Welcome to the forum! When I relaxed I used Revlons Mild, but the Affirm I hear is an excellent relaxer. If you look at my post to Azul I have linked their website to the post. They have a relaxer called Fiberguard which is supposed to be the best relaxer around according to who you talk to. If you click on the link and read their information, I believe it will be able to answer alot of your questions

hth,(hope this helps)

iris

Welcome to the board StylePink. I'm glad you've joined us!

SeaMist the avlon site is great isn't it? It has helped me understand a whole lot with the process of relaxing the hair. I think I'm going to have to keep my eyes on you because you are becoming a little too comfortable in these parts ya see...Remember, you are a hennaphilic
But I must admit also, if I ever relaxed again, the Affirm Fiberguard would be the system to use

Psst...don't tell nobody from the henna thread I was here

G

Iris the info on that site is really going to help you with your research. I can't wait for you to post it
And if you don't say anything I won't say anything either about your mysterious "appearance" on this thread
Thanks for directing me to the avlon site. It is so informative!

Armyqt

Psst...don't tell nobody from the henna thread I was here

[/ QUOTE ]

Yall crazy.

Seamist, she is on you like a hawk girl...soon you're gonna have to come up with an alias
to post anything on the relaxed threads

iris

Yeah... I'm on her like a hawk Army

SeaMist I see you on the screen. Remember, you are a
Hennaphilic,Hennaphilic,Hennaphilic,...

G

Yeah... I'm on her like a hawk Army

SeaMist I see you on the screen. Remember, you are a
Hennaphilic,Hennaphilic,Hennaphilic,...

[/ QUOTE ]

Okay Sargeant! This Private is following your orders!

iris

SeaMist in hindsight, I'm glad you did start this thread
I showed someone the posts and now they are going to try the methods outlined in this thread the next time they relax! I'm still on you now like white on rice...I gotta keep my eye on sistah girl to make sure you at least give the henna and lotus powder a chance. Then you can go from there. I know, I sound like your momma but I don't want you "relapsing", until you do give those two products a try

kenyana