Long Hair Care Forum
Home Rules Feature Of The Month !! SUBSCRIBE !! Reviews iSpy Blogs Groups Contact Us

Go Back   Long Hair Care Forum > Long Hair Care Forum's Discussion Boards > Hair Care Tips & Product Review Discussion

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 11-10-2007, 06:33 PM
aloof one's Avatar
aloof one aloof one is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 4,150
Blog Entries: 1
Thanks: 0
Thanked 38 Times in 24 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Unhappy Help! Braids too tight... Can't breathe!

I am in so much pain, I can't even frown because these braids are pulling on every muscle in my face! I can't believe the abuse I go through to look good and hide my hair for a few weeks!

So I found some Cameroon woman and her sister to do my braids for my mom's wedding, and of course I brought my own comb and everything and it still didn't stop them from their madness! When they started trimming the loose hairs around the braids with scissors I stopped them--- and this hoe started up again too and I was like WTF!? She told me some lie that she was cutting the fake hair not mine, but how the eff was she supposed to tell the difference! then they had the nerve to try to run a lighter up and down my hair like that was better, so I had to stop her then, and she copped an attitude when I told her no to that. Then this heffer started getting rough with my hair! And when I complained at her to loosen up on parting my hair she told me it was thick, like I was supposed to apologize! Why is it that when these jealous hoes see a woman with thick hair that isn't balding from weaves or missing edges or some other problem they have the idea that its time to start tearing our hair out? Why do people have to be jealous? I didn't feel myself losing hair, but she was so freaking rough you never know, it could be at its breaking point. But my hair is strong, I did some protein and everything before I came so it would stand up to anything... so Im not worried about that. But this is the problem:

Even though I told her to loosen up, my braids are TOO TIGHT. And by too tight, I mean My forehead is red and I can see each individual hair clinging to my scalp for dear life on my edges, and a few braids behind that. The back row is fine, but for some reason this woman decided to TEAR my edges up! I don't want to end up like the ladies who are trying to grow their edges back, Ive been proud of having all those naps now and don't want to lose them because of this.


The reason I kept them in is because my mo is getting married tomorrow and I need them for that. She's freaking out as it is and I don't want to be the one who causes her to have a melt down because I was late to the wedding cause I had to take down my hair and start over.

Bottom line, sorry this is so long.. Im just frustrated: Is there a way I can loosen my braids without actually unbraiding them?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 11-10-2007, 06:40 PM
aloof one's Avatar
aloof one aloof one is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 4,150
Blog Entries: 1
Thanks: 0
Thanked 38 Times in 24 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Re: Help! Braids too tight... Can't breathe!

please... I can't even lay down to sleep tonight

I know yall are there...
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 11-10-2007, 06:42 PM
mscocoface's Avatar
mscocoface mscocoface is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Southern California
Posts: 10,291
Blog Entries: 3
Thanks: 738
Thanked 5,731 Times in 1,387 Posts
Mentioned: 185 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Default Re: Help! Braids too tight... Can't breathe!

There is no way that I know of to loosen them.

I don't want to scare you but from the way you are sounding these braids could be causing damaging by pulling on your follicles like that and weakening the hair.

I know you don't want to hear this but for the sake of saving your hair around the edges try to at least take those down and loosen them.

If you want to try some type of oil like jojoba and conditioner with a little water and spritz them that may help, not sure though.

You are in pain, your scalp sounds inflamed and you are asking for advice.

Please do something, in the next few days you will probably have the large flakes showing up from the hair being pulled so tight.

Chalk this one up to a learning experience but get those braids around the edges loosened and soon.
__________________
Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. 1 Cor. 13:4-7
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 11-10-2007, 06:46 PM
aloof one's Avatar
aloof one aloof one is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 4,150
Blog Entries: 1
Thanks: 0
Thanked 38 Times in 24 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Re: Help! Braids too tight... Can't breathe!

I think I'll soak them and try to pull them forward or something.
I don't know anyone in my house that can put them up... they took 4 hours, but its only like 6 braids that are giving me trouble, maybe I can pull them to loosen them?

Im so angry, my mom knows how to braid but she's crazy and gonna freak out if I ask the night before her wedding
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 11-10-2007, 06:49 PM
Mimi22 Mimi22 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 1,493
Thanks: 0
Thanked 30 Times in 12 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Default Re: Help! Braids too tight... Can't breathe!

Heyy i feel ur pain
Try a cold damp cloth and some aloe vera gel ???
If not, try rinsing your braids out a bit while ur in the shower. Hope that helps!! xx
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 11-10-2007, 06:52 PM
newflowers newflowers is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Long Beach, CA
Posts: 1,818
Thanks: 1
Thanked 32 Times in 17 Posts
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Re: Help! Braids too tight... Can't breathe!

TAKE THEM OUT!!!!!

If you try to loosen them, you will put yet more stress on your folicles. If you leave them in, the continual stress will cause potential damage to the follicles, but it will also pull the hair out of your head. Braids that are too tight can cause permamnet hair loss.

TAKE THEM OUT!!!
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 11-10-2007, 07:00 PM
Mook's hair's Avatar
Mook's hair Mook's hair is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: South Jersey
Posts: 1,790
Thanks: 13
Thanked 308 Times in 89 Posts
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 18 Thread(s)
Default Re: Help! Braids too tight... Can't breathe!

When is the wedding? My first instinct says take them out now. but you clearly want them for the event and will try anything. Can you go back to the woman to get the worst part redone?

I know that when I am in natural cornrows, they loosen a little if I completely saturate them in water. meaning. dunk my head under water. But yours sound so tight that you may cause serious damage by setting your hair.

What kind of braids are they? are they heavy? You really need to find someone to help you redo that part.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 11-10-2007, 07:02 PM
balisi's Avatar
balisi balisi is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: In God's Grace
Posts: 2,183
Thanks: 4
Thanked 9 Times in 5 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Default Re: Help! Braids too tight... Can't breathe!

Quote:
Originally Posted by newflowers View Post
TAKE THEM OUT!!!!!

If you try to loosen them, you will put yet more stress on your folicles. If you leave them in, the continual stress will cause potential damage to the follicles, but it will also pull the hair out of your head. Braids that are too tight can cause permamnet hair loss.

TAKE THEM OUT!!!
I second this!
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 11-10-2007, 08:11 PM
♦K.O♦ ♦K.O♦ is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: G.R.In.D.N- New York!
Posts: 8,053
Thanks: 0
Thanked 63 Times in 36 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Default Re: Help! Braids too tight... Can't breathe!

Take them out!

Pulling on them to loosen them just sounds like it will make things worse.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 11-10-2007, 08:21 PM
Je Ne Sais Quoi's Avatar
Je Ne Sais Quoi Je Ne Sais Quoi is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: I'z in your hair, splittin your endz
Posts: 33,827
Thanks: 13,103
Thanked 62,142 Times in 9,720 Posts
Mentioned: 1021 Post(s)
Tagged: 94 Thread(s)
Default Re: Help! Braids too tight... Can't breathe!

If it's just 5 or 6 braids you should ask your mom to help you redo them and don't wait until tomorrow the day of the wedding, ask her now!!! If not you need to take those braids out (the ones that are killing your scalp) immediately and figure out a way to hide the lose hairs by tucking them in somewhere. Do you have a picture of yourself with the braids in now or a similar pic so we can get an idea of the style?
__________________
Gots mah bag!!
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 11-10-2007, 08:23 PM
Yellowflowers's Avatar
Yellowflowers Yellowflowers is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Memphis
Posts: 789
Thanks: 599
Thanked 582 Times in 120 Posts
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 6 Thread(s)
Angry Re: Help! Braids too tight... Can't breathe!

Quote:
Originally Posted by al00fone View Post
I am in so much pain, I can't even frown because these braids are pulling on every muscle in my face! I can't believe the abuse I go through to look good and hide my hair for a few weeks!

So I found some Cameroon woman and her sister to do my braids for my mom's wedding, and of course I brought my own comb and everything and it still didn't stop them from their madness! When they started trimming the loose hairs around the braids with scissors I stopped them--- and this hoe started up again too and I was like WTF!? She told me some lie that she was cutting the fake hair not mine, but how the eff was she supposed to tell the difference! then they had the nerve to try to run a lighter up and down my hair like that was better, so I had to stop her then, and she copped an attitude when I told her no to that. Then this heffer started getting rough with my hair! And when I complained at her to loosen up on parting my hair she told me it was thick, like I was supposed to apologize! Why is it that when these jealous hoes see a woman with thick hair that isn't balding from weaves or missing edges or some other problem they have the idea that its time to start tearing our hair out? Why do people have to be jealous? I didn't feel myself losing hair, but she was so freaking rough you never know, it could be at its breaking point. But my hair is strong, I did some protein and everything before I came so it would stand up to anything... so Im not worried about that. But this is the problem:

Even though I told her to loosen up, my braids are TOO TIGHT. And by too tight, I mean My forehead is red and I can see each individual hair clinging to my scalp for dear life on my edges, and a few braids behind that. The back row is fine, but for some reason this woman decided to TEAR my edges up! I don't want to end up like the ladies who are trying to grow their edges back, Ive been proud of having all those naps now and don't want to lose them because of this.


The reason I kept them in is because my mo is getting married tomorrow and I need them for that. She's freaking out as it is and I don't want to be the one who causes her to have a melt down because I was late to the wedding cause I had to take down my hair and start over.

Bottom line, sorry this is so long.. Im just frustrated: Is there a way I can loosen my braids without actually unbraiding them?

Ouch! Girl go get a spray bottle, with some warm water and Sea Breeze, if you have no Sea Breeze, then just plain water.

Spray your scalp especially the sore areas until they are really wet, if you get it too wet you can dry with a towel.

The braids should loosen considerably without compromising your style.

Repeat as often as necessary until your scalp is more comfortable.

I don't know why these women do this.

Last edited by Yellowflowers; 11-10-2007 at 08:32 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 11-10-2007, 08:25 PM
Saida's Avatar
Saida Saida is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Home
Posts: 1,904
Thanks: 0
Thanked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Default Re: Help! Braids too tight... Can't breathe!



This is how my mother used to have my hair made when I was a kid, I remember the lighter and everything too like you explained.. I was too young to say anything though.. sorry this happend to you.. the sad part is I dont think that they are jealous, I really think this is how they do hair even to themselves

Hope you feel better after the soaking
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 11-10-2007, 08:29 PM
HoneyA's Avatar
HoneyA HoneyA is offline
Goal:Hip length stretched
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 3,537
Blog Entries: 6
Thanks: 1,071
Thanked 1,212 Times in 538 Posts
Mentioned: 195 Post(s)
Tagged: 18 Thread(s)
Default Re: Help! Braids too tight... Can't breathe!

I would take all of them out now but if you think it's just 5 or 6 causing you the pain, just get those redone. In any event if you keep them for the wedding which is tomorrow(?), take them out immediately after it. You do not want your hair and follicles to come out with the braids. It's possible...that happened to me about 5 years ago.
__________________
Challenges: HL/TBL 2014, 12" in 12 months
4A/Natural/WL


Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 11-10-2007, 08:29 PM
ShiShiPooPoo's Avatar
ShiShiPooPoo ShiShiPooPoo is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: In The Hood
Posts: 8,753
Thanks: 4,914
Thanked 13,346 Times in 2,421 Posts
Mentioned: 151 Post(s)
Tagged: 12 Thread(s)
Default Re: Help! Braids too tight... Can't breathe!

Orajel ( you know, what is used for a toothache) will help alleviate the pain by numbing it. This is why I swore off braids.
__________________


.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 11-10-2007, 08:35 PM
glamazon386 glamazon386 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Divatown, USA
Posts: 23,775
Thanks: 7,100
Thanked 6,222 Times in 1,762 Posts
Mentioned: 236 Post(s)
Tagged: 43 Thread(s)
Default Re: Help! Braids too tight... Can't breathe!

I agree with the ladies who said take them out. But if you can't, try rubbing some oil or braid spray around the edges where it's tight. Sometimes that helps to loosen them up. Or take a shower and let the water run over them.
__________________
6 Years Nappy - Mostly 4A - Approaching BSL, fine strands

Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 11-10-2007, 09:01 PM
PaulaDiddy's Avatar
PaulaDiddy PaulaDiddy is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 79
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Re: Help! Braids too tight... Can't breathe!

Please my dear, take them out to save your hair. This one step can help you with months of recovery. Please take them out and redo them. Braids are completely easy to do!
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 11-10-2007, 09:03 PM
MissJ's Avatar
MissJ MissJ is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: GA
Posts: 17,381
Thanks: 6,314
Thanked 5,382 Times in 1,353 Posts
Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Tagged: 6 Thread(s)
Default Re: Help! Braids too tight... Can't breathe!

I would advise you to take them out if you want to keep your edges. I learned the hard way.
__________________
Missing Michael.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 11-10-2007, 09:10 PM
baby42 baby42 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: some where over the rainbow
Posts: 2,444
Blog Entries: 1
Thanks: 15
Thanked 16 Times in 9 Posts
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Re: Help! Braids too tight... Can't breathe!

Quote:
Originally Posted by newflowers View Post
TAKE THEM OUT!!!!!

If you try to loosen them, you will put yet more stress on your folicles. If you leave them in, the continual stress will cause potential damage to the follicles, but it will also pull the hair out of your head. Braids that are too tight can cause permamnet hair loss.

TAKE THEM OUT!!!
yep i lost my temple cause of someone braiding too tight and its hell getting it backnever again
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 11-10-2007, 09:15 PM
SmartyPants SmartyPants is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 3,783
Blog Entries: 1
Thanks: 0
Thanked 29 Times in 22 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Default Re: Help! Braids too tight... Can't breathe!

I'm really sorry, but you need to take them out PRONTO. There is no way to loosen them that will be good for your hair. Every minute you leave them in, you are causing damage.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 11-10-2007, 09:22 PM
nakialovesshoes's Avatar
nakialovesshoes nakialovesshoes is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: 'Scaping Massa!
Posts: 2,809
Blog Entries: 37
Thanks: 2,977
Thanked 1,822 Times in 736 Posts
Mentioned: 407 Post(s)
Tagged: 49 Thread(s)
Default Re: Help! Braids too tight... Can't breathe!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShiShiPooPoo View Post
Orajel ( you know, what is used for a toothache) will help alleviate the pain by numbing it. This is why I swore off braids.
I, too, can offer a remedy for the pain if you have to wait until after the wedding to take them out. My recommendation is a first aid antiseptic spray with pain killer. That's what I used when I got braids a few weeks ago. It will help with the pain until you can take them out after the wedding. Other than that I really don't know enough about braids to make suggestions about loosening them. Well wishes...
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



» Advertisment

» Advertisment

» Advertisment

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:20 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Powered by Searchlight © 2014 Axivo Inc.
Copyright © 2002-2011, Long Hair Care Forum™, LLC.
Site Maintenance Nikos Dimopoulos - www.niden.net