Mud Hair Wash=NO DC?

faithVA

@faithVA, for me the 7 day detox wasn't necessary. I used the TE mud shampoo similar to the way in which Naptural85 described it on her YouTube channel (as a weekly shampoo) and had instant success with it. Like I said earlier my hair was literally transformed. Defined, moisturized, popping curls -- couldn't believe it was the same head of hair. It's that amazing. Now I chose to go the non-detox route cause I used only natural products (Qhemet, KBB, SSI, Oyin, Enso) prior to starting with the wash so really didn't need to remove any chemicals, cones, etc. Also, I have fairly fine tresses and daily shampooing is way too much manipulation for my hair, this would have cause a ton of breakage plus in checking out the reviews on youtube and naturally curly forum, many claimed to be getting great results without doing a detox. So I think some can forgo detoxing depending on their personal hair needs/history. For me it worked out well and even with the outrageous shipping costs, purchasing this mud wash was money well spent.

Of course no blanket statements can be made, but I think for most the detox is necessary, even those who use natural products because many of those natural products still contain a lot of synthetic products or products processed in ways that aren't natural. And the only reason I felt so strongly about the detox, is because I talked to a person who also had good results with just using it as a shampoo but the results from the detox were even better and more exagerrated than they expected.

But it is why I stated it was my opinion. With stating that though I expect the women on the board to take it for what its worth and make their own decision.

hair4today

Of course no blanket statements can be made, but I think for most the detox is necessary, even those who use natural products because many of those natural products still contain a lot of synthetic products or products processed in ways that aren't natural. And the only reason I felt so strongly about the detox, is because I talked to a person who also had good results with just using it as a shampoo but the results from the detox were even better and more exagerrated than they expected.

But it is why I stated it was my opinion. With stating that though I expect the women on the board to take it for what its worth and make their own decision.
Yup totally agree with you...everyone is gonna have a different experience just wanted to share my mine.

Wanderland

Received my Terresentials over the weekend. I've done a total of 4 washes (on 2 separate days) and I'm personally done with my detox.

Wash one was great, wash two better, and as part of my third wash of Day 1, I slept in the clay overnight. The next morning my hair felt soft, I applied SM deep treatment masque a LI and wore a rabbit puff with super popping curls. The next morning as part of the daily washing detox that I was still trying to follow I washed again with the mud. My hair felt overprocessed. Yes, like permed over processed:blush:. Really elastic and soft buy also thinner and way less bulk. I have heat trained/damaged sections in the front, and they were MUCH straighter than normal. I was freaked out and after rinsing applied AOHSR to condition because my felt stripped, and thin. This to me signaled I was done detoxing.

Good news: because of the decreased bulk and increased silkiness (still very coarse of course), I was inspired to try a wash n go/lazy shingle which involved using AOHSR as and KCCC applied in sections and selected pieces smoothed, and it turned out beautiful (IMO). My hair is back to its shrunken glory, but muy defined:grin:.

Moral of the story: follow the directions! I didn't and it worked out ok, but I was really scared that I somehow inadvertently relaxed my hair or inflicted irreparable damage:nono:.

I'm thankful for Naptural85 and other YT's for putting me on the wash:yep:.

Last edited:

faithVA

I was freaked out and after rinsing applied AOHSR to condition because my felt stripped, and thin. This to me signaled I was done detoxing.

Good news: because of the decreased bulk and increased silkiness (still very coarse of course), I was inspired to try a wash n go/lazy shingle which involved using AOHSR as and KCCC applied in sections and selected pieces smoothed, and it turned out beautiful (IMO). My hair is back to its shrunken glory, but muy defined:grin:.

Moral of the story: follow the directions! I didn't and it worked out ok, but I was really scared that I somehow inadvertently relaxed my hair or inflicted irreparable damage:nono:.

I would agree with following the directions. But you didn't damage your hair though. What I think gets lost in translation is that each progressive wash removes a layer of synthetic materials that may have stuck to your hair. So each wash will leave your hair feeling different until you get to the last layer which is your hair with no synthetics.

So the purpose of all the multiple washes back to back was to remove the layers in a quick fashion to get to your hair and then have you start from there.

I emailed them and asked them when you knew the detox was done and the basic answer is the hair was soft, moisturized and it felt good to the touch. If it felt another way, it was probably an indicator that there were still products clinging to the hair.

My hair went through various transitions through the 7 days. Some days worse than others.

Wanderland

I emailed them and asked them when you knew the detox was done and the basic answer is the hair was soft, moisturized and it felt good to the touch. If it felt another way, it was probably an indicator that there were still products clinging to the hair.

My hair went through various transitions through the 7 days. Some days worse than others.

Hmmm, thanks. Maybe I'll keep going. I'm excited to wash/wet my hair again anyway.

faithVA

Hmmm, thanks. Maybe I'll keep going. I'm excited to wash/wet my hair again anyway.

If you do decide to try it again, remember less is more. You don't need to sleep in the mud wash. And you may want to leave the Shea Moisture masque unto the end of the detox. Although SM is natural cetyl esters and ammonium salts are products in the masque. So you are rinsing off with the mud and then putting it back on with the Masque. Just something to think about.

Wanderland

Oh I'm never sleeping in it again. Or if a do it'll be a quarterly sort of thing. I did it to expedite the process.

Maybe i will try to "real" detox process. But the idea of going completely productless is frightening.

faithVA

Oh I'm never sleeping in it again. Or if a do it'll be a quarterly sort of thing. I did it to expedite the process.

Maybe i will try to "real" detox process. But the idea of going completely productless is frightening.

You can expedite the process but I think the recommendation was to leave it on for 1 hr. But be conscious of over compensating for a product before you have given it a try. I understand the fear of going productless. My hair was as dry as sand paper without product. Consider using the mudwash and a leave-in (as natural as possible). And if you then feel you need additional moisture then go from there.

But conditioning your hair after the mudwash, while doing the detox may give you a false read. Conditioners by nature are meant to add a coating to your hair, so you are going back and forth. The mudwash tries to remove the coating, the conditioner recoats, then mudwash again, then recoat with conditioner...

You don't have to go productless. But try using just enough product to maintain moisture if you need it and to style if you need it. tashboog, i believe used flax gel and a shea butter mix. I used a mix of AVG and sunflower oil.

tashboog

I'm on Instagram
tashboog what do u use to make your daily moisturizer?

Sent from my PC36100 using PC36100

I make my mix with shea/mango/cocoa butter mix with oils that my hair likes, but now I'm following naptural85 everyday cream recipe without the coconut oil because my hair still doesn't like it. My last moisturizer was made with green tea, shea/mango/cocoa butter mix, evoo, jojoba oil, rosemary eo, WGO, sesame oil, tea tree oil, and lecithin to make the water/oil mix together. I only make small batches and the WGO over powers the whole smell of the moisturizer and make it stinky so if I decide to make another batch I will just use vitamin E as a preservative.

Nayna

Unbothered
I've been contemplating ordering this for a while. I've finally done it. As my hair has gotten longer I've experienced so much more tangling. If this can help then I'm with it. Before when I would do the porosity test my hair would sink straight to the bottom. Now it rides on top. Something has to give. If this works expect to see a whole bunch of stuff in the hair product exchange forum.

faithVA

[USER=93837 said:
Nayna[/USER];14078363]I've been contemplating ordering this for a while. I've finally done it. As my hair has gotten longer I've experienced so much more tangling. If this can help then I'm with it. Before when I would do the porosity test my hair would sink straight to the bottom. Now it rides on top. Something has to give. If this works expect to see a whole bunch of stuff in the hair product exchange forum.

Keep us up dated on how it works. My hair is SL so it isn't very long. I wash my hair loose. It gets some tangles but not many.

They will see you the instructions but there is a lot more useful guidelines on their website if you are interested. I don't think they get read much.

JudithO

Ok... For those of you that have had success with this (I know there are bits and pieces of this information) but can you respond to this post answering the following questions?

What is your entire regimen? Please include techniques, conditioners (if any) etc..

Do you still DC? How often? Products? Have the products had any negative effects on the way your hair feels?

How often do you wash your hair?

How do you wear your hair weekly? Twist outs? Mini twists?

How do you maintain your hairstyle?

Any other tips for those of us that are about to jump onto this wagon?

Thanks Ladies.

AMAKA127

So u guys are saying that the mud wash gives you enough slip to detangle? Also for those that did why did u cut out your prepoo?

Sent from my PC36100 using PC36100

This is a product that you won't believe until you try. I cut out the pre-poo simply because it's not necessary as well as DC or detangling... its literally an all in one product...

hair4today

What is your entire regiment? Include any techniques, conditioners (if any), etc.

My hair: fine, low porosity, med density, 4b
Regimen: Please keep in mind that I have not been a long time user like some of the other ladies. So far I have done 3 weekly washes and have had greatest results doing the following:

Due to having very fine hair that is breakage prone, I apply a mild protein DC (SSI Fortifying Masque or Komaza Intense Moisture Therapy) as a pre-poo. I steam the DC for 30 minutes. I do this because my hair is low porosity and this step infuses moisture and the strengthening properties of the DC into my fine strands. Rinse DC then I apply diluted mud wash ( 1 tbsp of TE Lavender wash with 1/2 oz of water) to my hair similar to how Naptural85 demonstrates in her YouTube video. The one difference is that I place the diluted wash in an applicator bottle. I squirt the mud wash on my scalp and massage in a circular motion. I then apply the mud wash to the hair strands in a downward motion which starts the removal of shed hairs. I hop in the shower and rinse thoroughly. The downward water stream removes the rest of shed hairs. No need to use a comb or brush to detangle. When I'm done rinsing I have beautiful, springy curls which are sooooo soft to touch. I then apply my DB leave in, put hair in 6 flat twist and air dry. Next day I remove twists and wear my hair in a twist-out style which have unbelievable curl definition. The hair stay moist for days and by mid week I mist with water, apply a light coat of camellia oil and re-twist. That's it. The easiest hair care regiment I've done since becoming a natural.

Do you still DC? How often? Products? Have the products had any negative effects on the way your hair feels?Yes still DC weekly for reasons explained above. No negative effect on how my hair feels. My hair is strong but soft.

How often do you wash your hair? Once a week.

How do you wear your hair weekly? Twist outs? Mini twists? Chunky twist outs and banana clip buns.

How do you maintain your hairstyle? At night I do 4 loose jumbo twists and wear my satin cap. In the morning, remove twists, fluff and go. Midweek, I spritz with water, seal with camellia oil and flat twist again To change things up and to protective style I may wear a bun for 1 or 2 days using a banana clip.

This stuff is pricey especially when you factor in shipping so do dilute it and honestly a little goes a long way so don't feel the need to apply a ton like you would with conditioners. Also it's mud so do rinse thoroughly to remove the residue. Finally experiment with the different types to see which one works best for your hair. I'm using Lavender but plan to try Cool Mint and West Coast Lemon next. Enjoy your hair!

Last edited:

faithVA

What is your entire regimen? Please include techniques, conditioners (if any) etc..

Do you still DC? How often? Products? Have the products had any negative effects on the way your hair feels?

How often do you wash your hair?

How do you wear your hair weekly? Twist outs? Mini twists?

How do you maintain your hairstyle?

I am a new user of this product so I don't have the history to give you but will keep the thread updated.

My hair is natural 4b/4a, medium density SL which color treated ends that give me problems. :nono: My hair is extremely dry and you can tell from my album that I have been working through crown issues with alopecia, dryness, burning and itching. I am also a heavy shedder and have consistent breakage on my ends.

I wear my hair in mini 2 strand twists for a week or two. I keep the twists in and rinse my hair under the faucet to get it wet I use 2 TBSP of mud wash to 5 or 6 tsp of water and apply the mud wash to each twist. I then put my hair into 6 sections and work through each section to detangle and remove the shed hairs. I then give myself a scalp massage with the mud. I put on a plastic cap and exercise and then rinse. Because it's diluted and it doesn't really dry on my hair it rinses for me very easy.

Previously I have twisted the hair, let it air dry and then the next day I apply AVG/oil mix and unpetroleum jelly and put into 2 strand twists. AFter 3 or 4 days I apply the AVG/water/oil mix and seal with unpetroleum jelly.

I will change it up to apply the AVG/oil mix and unpetroleum jelly to damp hair and let it air dry.

I do plan on DCing 1x a month with a homemade recipe. I have some AOHSR conditioner that I may use up. I didn't really like it but I may use i up. I haven't felt the need to DC as of yet. My hair feels soft, moisturized and it's not breaking. And it is maintaining moisture through the week.

Tips:
Read the FAQ on the website before you purchase.
Start with the Left Lemon Coast if you are natural, it is the most moisturizing based on their recommendations
Do the 7 day detox even if you don't think you need it.
Follow the directions and don't add steps, skip steps and overcompensate for the product. Let the product do its job so you can really see if it works for you.
Get the big bottle and dilute it.

I am happy with my hair and the changes I have seen. I wear my hair up 90% of the time. tashboog was using the mud wash as a shampoo months before she detoxed. And she noticed a big difference in her hair after the detox even though she had used the mud wash for a while. She wears her hair out often and can give more of a perspective on moisture retention and styling for those who wear their hair out.

tashboog

I'm on Instagram
tashboog was using the mud wash as a shampoo months before she detoxed. And she noticed a big difference in her hair after the detox even though she had used the mud wash for a while. She wears her hair out often and can give more of a perspective on moisture retention and styling for those who wear their hair out.

What is your entire regimen? Please include techniques, conditioners (if any) etc.. I wash weekly with the TE mud wash. I use 3 tbsp of mud wash and I dilute it with 1 oz of distilled or filtered water in an applicator bottle. I put my hair in 4 sections then I wet each section with water then apply the diluted mud wash to my scalp then the hair strands then I loosely braid and move on to the other 3 sections. I then add a plastic cap and apply my heat therapy wrap for 1 hour then I rinse it out finger detangle in the shower and that's it. After I'm done washing I proceed to add my shea butter mix to my hair. If I plan on doing a twist out or braid out I will add flax gel first then seal with the shea butter mix.

Do you still DC? How often? Products? Have the products had any negative effects on the way your hair feels? I DC twice a month. My hair needs protein so without a protein DC my hair breakage becomes out of control. In my protein DC I use an all natural egg, organic greek yogurt, organic condense milk, organic banana baby food, agave nectar, and my favorite oils. For my moisturizing DC its the same as the protein one without the protein products. My hair feels soft, strong, and good with my homemade DC's and no negative side effects. Also when I DC, I DC on dry hair first before I use the mud wash. After I rinse out the DC, then I proceed to use the mud wash (in the shower) and I only let it sit in my hair for a few minutes then I rinse it out then proceed to the moisturizing part of my regimen. Keep in mind this is only twice a month and the other weeks I use the mud wash as a deep conditioner when I apply the heat therapy wrap. To be honest I really don't think I need a moisturizing DC, just a protein one so I might start only DCing once a month :yep:.

How often do you wash your hair? Once a week

How do you wear your hair weekly? Twist outs? Mini twists? I wear my hair in a braid out or twist out on the weekends starting on Friday and I protective style Monday thru Thursday doing either a banana clip bun, french roll, french braid, or mini twist (depends on my mood).

How do you maintain your hairstyle? If I do a braid out or twist out, I add water and my every day shea mix to my hair then braid or twist with big sections a total of 6 braids or 6 twists then curl ends on small perm rods. I like using small perm rods because it gives my hair more put together uniform hair. Then I put on my silk scarf, pocket bonnet, and regular bonnet. Yes, I wear 3 head scarves on my head at nite but it keeps the moisture in my hair and makes it soft in the morning.

Be patient with the mud wash. Your hair is going to feel weird each day you detox, but don't stop and detox the whole 7 days. Try the Lemon coast first because it was more moisturizing than the Lavender Garden. I've used them both and I've used the Lavender for at least 6 months before I'd tried the Lemon coast and I like the lemon one better :yep:. At first I didn't think I needed to detox so I just used the wash weekly, but I was still having problems with keeping moisture in my hair and no matter what product I bought nothing seem to work to keep the moisture in my hair. After I detoxed, thanks to faithVA for convincing me to do so :grin:, my hair has transformed :grin:! My hair didn't use to like coconut oil or aloe vera juice but since my detox both of these items makes my hair soft! I'm truly amazed with this product. Please try not to get fixated on the shipping price because in the long run you'll be saving money because you'll be eliminating products and extra steps from your routine :yep:.

faithVA

[USER=266376 said:
tashboog[/USER];14082641]Then I put on my silk scarf, pocket bonnet, and regular bonnet. Yes, I wear 3 head scarves on my head at nite but it keeps the moisture in my hair and makes it soft in the morning.

What? :blush: I didn't know this. :lachen: Girl you are serious. I'm going to start calling you tashHairNinjaboog :lol:

I know you aren't the only one that does this. I just didn't know.

tashboog

I'm on Instagram
What? :blush: I didn't know this. :lachen: Girl you are serious. I'm going to start calling you tashHairNinjaboog :lol:

I know you aren't the only one that does this. I just didn't know.

Yes ma'am I don't play about my my tresses :lol:! Hey it works for me, but it may not work for others. I gotta do what I can to keep my hair looking FAB-U-LOUS :lachen:!

JudithO

The shipping price doesn't bother me much.. I really hope it works (I bought the 16 oz Lemon Coast) as it looks like it will last a while... I only really have 4 days to detox (Thursday night - Sunday)... I wear cornrows under wig as a PS during the week... I didnt think I needed the full 7 days as I only use natural products, but I'll have to figure out a way to do the 7 days detox.... I think about my hair so much nowadays it's not even safe. lol .. Anything to get my mind off my hair is welcome.. Thanks guys.

faithVA

The shipping price doesn't bother me much.. I really hope it works (I bought the 16 oz Lemon Coast) as it looks like it will last a while... I only really have 4 days to detox (Thursday night - Sunday)... I wear cornrows under wig as a PS during the week... I didnt think I needed the full 7 days as I only use natural products, but I'll have to figure out a way to do the 7 days detox.... I think about my hair so much nowadays it's not even safe. lol .. Anything to get my mind off my hair is welcome.. Thanks guys.

You have a holiday weekend coming up... dang didn't check to see which country you were in :lol:

If you know how to flat twist you can flat twist it for the remaining days and wear it under your wig.

If you only use home made products then its good. If you are using a store bought natural product, 95% of them still have synthetics in them or synthetically created products in them. You will have some idea by the 4th day what's going on with your hair. The change is noticeable with each shampoo.

CocoGlow

Alot of people mention that the Left Coast Lemon version is the most moisturizing version, however I'm allergic to the orange essential oil ingredient in that one, the Lavender & the Sultry Spice! It seems the only varieties that do NOT include the orange oil is the Fragrance-Free & the Cool Mint ... I think I recall Dawnyele on Youtube claiming the Cool Mint was her new fav due to the minty sensation & extra slip, but she seems to be the only one ...

By the way I purchased all of the samples a few months back and sure enough the Left Coast Lemon broke me out in small rashes :nono: and I was scared to try the others

Anyone else have LONGTERM success with the Fragrance-Free or Cool Mint? They don't seem to be that popular but they would be the only ones I can actually use :ohwell:

I'm also going to try to replicate the formula by making my own version: Bentonite Clay and/or Rhassoul Clay + Aloe Vera Juice + Herbal Extracts (Marshmallow Root, Slippery Elm, etc) OR Herbal Tea (Marshmallow root, Flaxseed...anything with slip)

Anyone have a homemade recipe that is comparable to Terressentials?

faithVA

Alot of people mention that the Left Coast Lemon version is the most moisturizing version, however I'm allergic to the orange essential oil ingredient in that one, the Lavender & the Sultry Spice! It seems the only varieties that do NOT include the orange oil is the Fragrance-Free & the Cool Mint ... I think I recall Dawnyele on Youtube claiming the Cool Mint was her new fav due to the minty sensation & extra slip, but she seems to be the only one ...

By the way I purchased all of the samples a few months back and sure enough the Left Coast Lemon broke me out in small rashes :nono: and I was scared to try the others

Anyone else have LONGTERM success with the Fragrance-Free or Cool Mint? They don't seem to be that popular but they would be the only ones I can actually use :ohwell:

I'm also going to try to replicate the formula by making my own version: Bentonite Clay and/or Rhassoul Clay + Aloe Vera Juice + Herbal Extracts (Marshmallow Root, Slippery Elm, etc) OR Herbal Tea (Marshmallow root, Flaxseed...anything with slip)

Anyone have a homemade recipe that is comparable to Terressentials?

We definitely don't want you to use something that will break you out. There was a ytber that talked about how she stretched hers with the Bentonite Clay and some other things. Try looking her up and that might be just what you need.

And I know there is another thread around here for the clay users but not sure exactly which one that is.

faithVA

So just to reiterate: with this stuff, there is no need for rinse-out conditioners?

From my own personal experience, from the people ytbers I have watched that did the detox and from the few people I personally know that have done the detox, there is no need to use a rinse out conditioner.

My hair is as soft and more moisturized after using the mud-wash as it was when I left the DC on for 3 hours and sat under my heat cap for 30 minutes.

I am sure that you could continue to use a conditioner if you wanted. But since I have a chance to reduce my regimen time I am doing so. And once I saw the effects of removing the synthetics from my hair I am very reluctant to put anything else with synthetics on my hair.

If you do the detox you will know whether you want to use a conditioner. The results will be very clear to you.

Last edited:

AKA-Tude

Good info here!

I have tried the Lemon and LOVE IT!!!!
My hair is soft, bouncy, and curly!

I have also tried my own version and
it did not disappoint either!
Same softness, bounce and curl-popping!

I am in love with either one
and will use only this product
for cleansing.

I also have hit pay-dirt!
There is a local business where I can
purchase Terressentials!
Wooo-Hooo!!!

faithVA

[USER=15856 said:
AKA-Tude[/USER];14085941]
purchase Terressentials!
Wooo-Hooo!!!

Oh just come in here and rub it in why don't you. :lol:

Maybe by the time I finish with this current bottle, maybe they will have it in more stores. :yep: Can always hope.

JudithO

You have a holiday weekend coming up... dang didn't check to see which country you were in :lol:

If you know how to flat twist you can flat twist it for the remaining days and wear it under your wig.

If you only use home made products then its good. If you are using a store bought natural product, 95% of them still have synthetics in them or synthetically created products in them. You will have some idea by the 4th day what's going on with your hair. The change is noticeable with each shampoo.

:lol: Girl I can never keep track of holidays... I find out about holidays the Friday before usually.. The part of my brain that stores holidays is still stuck in Nigeria...

For real tho.. I'm kinda nervous about trying this because for the first time since I went natural I think I've found a regimen that actual works for my dry 4c hair (I have to moisturize every other day still but I'm happy).... I just hope I get better results than i'm getting now (I can't imagine my hair soft and full of moisture.. lol )

On another note... I usually wash my hair in cornrows (I dilute shampoo and pour over), DC in cornrows, allow the cornrows air dry 70%, then I take out each individual cornrow, finger detangle, seal and redo it weekly.

How do I incorporate the mud wash into this regimen? Does this mean I have to take out my cornrows before I wash (I'd rather not)? Has anybody used this with braids?

Aicer

Good info here!

I have tried the Lemon and LOVE IT!!!!
My hair is soft, bouncy, and curly!

I have also tried my own version and
it did not disappoint either!

Same softness, bounce and curl-popping!

I am in love with either one
and will use only this product
for cleansing.

purchase Terressentials!
Wooo-Hooo!!!

AKA-Tude What exactly did you use for your own version?