APL 2012 Challenge

pookaloo83

Did a braid out today. Hopefully I can get to APL by June or July by keeping my hair in braid outs. Cause lord knows I hate PS'ing.

Sent from my iPhone 4s

Attachments

• image-833229898.jpg
    image-833229898.jpg
    445.2 KB · Views: 49

Phaer

Still here, I have no idea where my hair is because I am in kinky twists and have no plans on checking my length until December. I will have these braids in until the end of March, and will try not to check lenght when I am removing and resting between the next installment.

3jsmom

Moving to District 13
Hello Ladies,

Just checking in I am in a hair rut right now, I am trying to decide if I am going to continue to stretch my relaxers or just tranistion. I am slowly creaping towards APL still.
My 15 yo dd wants to transitition and I think me and her are going to go natural together. Tomorrow we are going to get our hair done at a natural hair salon that works with people that are transitioning so I hope to snap some pics of our hair and post for you ladies.
Have a great weekend :)

itsjusthair88

Chronically at BSL -_-
I think I caused myself my first real set-back: I went to Vegas this past weekend (it was FABULOUS) and I wanted to wear my hair in a top know/long braid thing and I saw on youtube someone took some Kanekalon and just slapped it on and I thought "hey it's cheap!" and the hair actually matched my texture better than any ponytail I could find. SO I washed, DC'd and detangled, and I got ready to put my hair in the ponytail, well when I put it in the ponytail, there was hair stick out EVERYWHERE!!!!

IDK where all the breakage came from but I am really bummed out because I am actually pretty careful with my hair, I try to PS as much as possible and I try and give my hair a break, but when I saw all of the hair that was sticking out, I could have just cried. What could have happened? I feel like I'm never going to get to APL.

growbaby

Must... Get... To... APL... BEFORE SUMMER! Im wishing on a star, becoming a little anxious. Fingers are crossed and hopes are still high. :yep:

SavannahNatural

Bought a Demi to cover the last of my two-tone color. A little anxious about putting it in, I foresee a busy weekend and not having the time to baby my hair like I want to. Plus it's time to wash with my mud and I feel like its an oxymoron of sorts, to use the mud and dye my hair! Plus I'm probably going to flat iron it. . . Too much?

faithVA

IDK where all the breakage came from but I am really bummed out because I am actually pretty careful with my hair, I try to PS as much as possible and I try and give my hair a break, but when I saw all of the hair that was sticking out, I could have just cried. What could have happened? I feel like I'm never going to get to APL.

Are you sure its breakage or is it possible you just have hairs growing that are at different lengths at growing at different rates?

HauteHippie

Every year I have a setback.

2009: Texlax gone wrong, big chop the following Feb, anyway, so no biggie.

2010: graduated, broke as a joke, harda$$ hair for a few months, trim

2011: full sew in, unbraided cornrows and my hair came out, literally half of the braids, in my hands. I could've just pulled the damn braid off. Bald spots all over. Broken Hairs. Trim. Then trim (3 - 4 inches). That called for burning, though unshed tears.

2012: Hair Nirvana. This is the healthiest hair of my life! It's healthy enough to dye! I've never dyed before... Let's do it! :cry: I got 9 more months to make it better this year. I've retained next to nothing. Seriously.

esi.adokowa

I've been really into braided buns/updos recently.
They're über-quick and easy, yet look like you spent all day doing them!

I'm going to make my YouTube videos this weekend (finally, I know. My uni is going on strike starting Monday so I've been super busy!)

Here's some pictures of how I wore my hair for a date this week. (it took less than five minutes!)

I'm all about easy hair haha.

Attachments

• image-838803809.jpg
    image-838803809.jpg
    9.3 KB · Views: 42
  • image-3298173403.jpg
    image-3298173403.jpg
    7.7 KB · Views: 40
  • image-3471901529.jpg
    image-3471901529.jpg
    7.2 KB · Views: 38

skraprchik

I committed myself to wearing my hair "up" for an indefinite amount of time and I've found that it's easier than I thought. It will be 3 weeks tomorrow of wearing my hair up and I'm excited to see that I can almost get my twists into a cinnabun. I've been avoiding heat as well, so the individual twists are the easiest way to keep my hair stretched and stylable.

I'm sure if I roller set or straightened it, it would be even simpler. Straight hair never last more than a few days. I need something that I can keep in place for at least 2 weeks at a time, so twists it is.

Last edited:

Evolving78

NikkiQ

still having the same issues. i rinsed out the oil and conditioner yesterday. as soon as i rinsed my hair started turning on me again. so i reached for Keracare 1st lather shampoo. that helped a lot and it wasn't too bad detangling afterwards, but still tangled.

my hair is still so dry. i called a stylist and i don't think she was really listening and asking the right questions. she said i could be overprocessed and asked did i want to cut my hair. i told her no way!

i know what went wrong with my hair. i told her about the protein treatment nightmare, but she asked why did i need to do a protein treatment in the first place. i told her i just wanted to prevent breakage. it wasn't really needed.

i am only 5 weeks post relaxer, so it is too early to get a touchup. i just need a good clarifying shampoo, moisturizing shampoo, and dc that doesn't have anything silicones or protein. i just need to get moisture back in my hair. i thought about getting the Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose. i am waiting for the healthfood store to open to call them. i need a protein free moisturizer that doesn't have coconut oil, or aloe vera juice/gel in it. aloe will just make my cuticle tighter.

Evolving78

i just located the AOHSR poo and condish. i am on my way to get it now. i am going to turn this thing around and i am going to do it on my own. when i get my hair back on point, i will just leave the relaxer and treatments to a professional i trust. i have someone that i know that can get me back on track, but she is too expensive for my budget right now. but i will go to her for my touchup.

i have a friend that i am close with, but she isn't at a salon, so i don't want to wash my hair in the sink.

Evolving78

shortdub78 Have you tried baggying with just warm water and some type of oil like castor oil. Or maybe try adding salt to a conditioner w\o protein.

GIJane

the salt thing does work, but i think i used too much salt and it just didn't help like before. but i will try it again. it seems like the oils are making my hair dry, like it is seal off any moisture trying to get in.

i am so thankful for you ladies! you guys have really been such a big help and have been keeping me off of the the scissor edge!

with your help, i know i can get this hair back on track. i am on my way now to get the products. there is one of each left, so i have them holding it for me.

GIJane

shortdub78 If its protein overload you are experiencing. Thats going to take sometime to correct. Try adding honey to your nonprotein condish if you are not comfortable with adding salt to it. Try baggying with warm water. After baggying seal with an oil such as almond, avocado or castor. If you wear wigs try baggying under the wig.p

it seems like the oils are making my hair dry, like it is seal off any moisture trying to get in. what type of oil do you use?

Last edited:

livinthevida

I've been really into braided buns/updos recently.
They're über-quick and easy, yet look like you spent all day doing them!

I'm going to make my YouTube videos this weekend (finally, I know. My uni is going on strike starting Monday so I've been super busy!)

Here's some pictures of how I wore my hair for a date this week. (it took less than five minutes!)

I'm all about easy hair haha.

esi.adokowa beautiful updo! I'll look for your videos on youtube please let us know when they are available :yep:

livinthevida

Ladies here's how I prep my hair for deep conditioning:

1. divide hair into 4 sections
  2. gently comb curls with a wide tooth comb (wait for hair to dry completely)
  3. brush each section with Brush Strokes 7 Row Boar Bristle Hair Brush
  4. two-strand twist on each section
Here's some pics - just look at those WaaaaAAAaaaVVvvvveeEEEssssSSS :drunk:

Attachments

• brushstrokes_hairbrush.JPG
    brushstrokes_hairbrush.JPG
    14.5 KB · Views: 30
  • widetooth_comb.JPG
    widetooth_comb.JPG
    9.4 KB · Views: 28
  • brushstrokes_lookatthosewaves!.JPG
    brushstrokes_lookatthosewaves!.JPG
    13.3 KB · Views: 40
  • hairprep_4sections.JPG
    hairprep_4sections.JPG
    12.8 KB · Views: 41

NikkiQ

Lookin good livinthevida!! Gonna have me sea sick up in here with them waves :lol:

I'll be taking my lovely twists out today for a baby shower. Hopefully it comes out okay. I tried something slightly different this time around when I did them.

Evolving78

i just got back from the store. they didn't have what i wanted. the did have the shampoo, but i read the ingredients and it has protein in it. so i bought Queen Helene new natural shampoo and conditioner. got some Spin Pins too. those things really do work. i got some different leave-in conditioner. NT Triple etc... all of my other leave-ins have protein in them. i really just want to roller set my hair and stop looking like Who Done It And Why!

kupenda

kittenz it's people like you that make me mad. Those twists are so cute!! I can't wait til I can wear curly twists

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF